London - Game 3

jroyales

How many. if any, players will we have back?

We can't afford another embarrassing defeat like last week. I hope Diskin has read the riot act about the number of penalties we gave away so giving them field position and even more possession.

If he hasn't and we are thread bare again, can we say we can't fulfil the fixture and lose by 24 like London did last weekend?

We need to focus on the fundamentals of the game rather than obsessing about the score as we are unlikely to beat full time London. We were absolutely shocking in this regard last week, no aggression in the contact, players flying out of the line all over the place trying to solves problems that they themselves were causing by being out of position and then when a break had been made the awful covering back was disgraceful.

Pick the fittest 17 we can and tackle your hearts out. That's where we need to start.

A lot will ride on who is fit and what sort of team we can put out, however I’d like to see us concentrate on doing the simple things right and playing to our strengths. Good strong carries down the middle, generating momentum with good ruck speed and utilising the impact players like Dupree and Gregory at hooker.

We’ve recruited well in the middles and we saw them come out on top in the league game vs Swinton, especially second half when we really got a roll on. Let them set a platform and then make sure we finish our sets well. Some may say it’s a dull style of play but after a drubbing like last week it’s important we do those simple things well.

An improvement in discipline will also be key, especially in defence against the likes of Sammut in their halves.

I'd like to see Hartley get a chance at centre with Heaton out. He had some very promising touches in the friendlies at times. Would give Holcroft a game on the wing as well and rest Ince for the week after.

In the pack its essentially whoever is fit at the moment. Looks like Fletcher will have to stay in  the second row replacing Bridgey and the new lad probably off the bench.

I feel like I'm playing a mental game of RL Championship Manager on PlayStation at the moment. Anyway, from the announced squad, here's my 17:

Backs:

Abram at Fullback.  Brierley and Holcroft on the wing.  Roberts and Hartley at centre.  Charnock and Hewitt in the halves.

Forwards: 

Spencer and Nelmes at prop, Owen at hooker.  Langers and Fletcher in the second row with Benty at 13.

Interchanges:

Hutchings who'll be able to fill in at Wing, Centre or utility forward. 

Gregory, Dupree, Bibby.

That means Johnson, Green, J Abram and Barran missing out.  

I spoke to Johnno at Batley and I'm not sure he's ready to play yet, he was a bit non-committal.  If Owen's injury at Batley means he can't play, Abram comes in and Gregory starts.  If we lose a half-back between now and Saturday Green/Barran can jump in.

Egodo and Gwaze in the London team.  That should be fun to watch!

With so many missing players , I can't fault that effort from 1-17 plenty to still improve on and mistakes to cut out , really proud performance great to see heads never went down and scored some quality tries when we started to move the ball . Special mention to Jack Spencer took the ball up at speed all game and played long minutes , was really impressed with Callum Green at full back to 

Keep that effort up and we won't go far wrong 

A game of what if and maybes. As daft as it sounds it was a game we could have won. Several of their tries were fortunate to say the least. I feel the real change occurred when Gregory came on.

Get some players back and I feel we will be OK.

2 minutes ago, jroyales said:

A game of what if and maybes. As daft as it sounds it was a game we could have won. Several of their tries were fortunate to say the least. I feel the real change occurred when Gregory came on.

Get some players back and I feel we will be OK.

Totally agree. I'm disappointed we lost but I'm not disheartened. 

Pleased with the overall performance with so many players missing. With a stronger pack we would have won today. Some really poor tries conceded (terrible drop out & Langer's shooting up creating the gap) and Dupree injury the most disappointing aspects however we bust them a few times & attitude was great. Spencer was excellent today + Green looked better than Abram.

Archived