Time to get excited for League 1

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is it just win the league odds thats available ?

Yeah, on Betfair and Sky Bet anyway. I can’t imagine anyone offering e/w on a (relatively) obscure ten team league, four of whom have next to no chance of going up. 

Given that Coventry are unlikely to be in the mix (but could have a big say who does win the league), I would love either Barrow or Workington to win L1. Another Cumbrian club in the Championship would be nice.

26 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Given that Coventry are unlikely to be in the mix (but could have a big say who does win the league), I would love either Barrow or Workington to win L1. Another Cumbrian club in the Championship would be nice.

I’d like any of Barrow, Workington, Donny or Rochdale to win it, of the six main contenders. Nothing against Keighley or Hunslet, but there are already loads of teams from West Yorks in the top two divisions. 

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Now we have a Eng international at Rochdale, a promotion for Rochdale and some powerful marketing to push their average to 1,500-2000 in the Championship would be ideal, even if their stadium isn't. Outside of that if we could have Whitehaven and Workington both in the Championship that would be good but soft spot for Keighley, who could pull 1500 in the Champ. 

So preference: Rochdale, Workington then Keighley.

Tbf Spotland is better than most Championship grounds. I’m thinking Oldham, Whitehaven, the heavy woolen teams (and Bradford), Sheffield , Halifax, London. 

19 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

Rochdale are a good each way bet.

I'm happy Donny aren't considered a favourite. We've a big squad but possibly not enough quality outside of of our first choice backs. Couple of old lads there in Tali and Taulapapa. Just hoping to see decent rugby really.

Is Graeme Horne still on your books as a player ? , or is he assistant coach to Richard.

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes but doesnt say much.

Oldham - No home

Haven- Not sure

Bradford- still at dewsbury then unfit odsal 

Fax - Too big

Broncos- If a New owner came in would be perfect but will be too big. 

I am missing Swinton also.  Not good across the board. 

Don't want to derail the thread but both HW teams have nice grounds perfectly suited to their needs and well maintained. I like Spotland, but needs a decent sized crowd to generate a decent atmosphere! I am never keen on grounds which only have 1 stand open.

It’s interesting watching highlights of the past couple of weeks of Championship games, and how the grounds actually look. I can’t see any way you could criticize either Batley or Dewsbury, both grounds are really well appointed and tidy for this level. I agree Spotland is a major upgrade on a homeless Oldham, Bradford and currently Sheffield, and as for Whitehaven it really is poor, definitely unchanged since I was last there over 15 years ago. It’s also better than Swinton, it’s just a little too big for the Hornets, but at least it’s not cavernous big like some clubs.

This thread has totally become derailed but I'll go with it. I'm a Dons fan of 30 years and I honestly wouldn't give the Keepmoat up for anything. I look forward to every visit and can't wait to get back. I don't miss Tattersfield, Belle Vue or Meadow Court. We make a lot out of the corporate side which we could never offer at any of the three other venues. The facilities are excellent. Every game feels like an occasion for, at least from my perspective. Anyway. Can we go back to talking about what really matters? I.e. the players?

I'll even add a couple more from our perspective. Matty Beharell. Outstanding scrum half at this level. Sam Doherty. Very complete winger, dangerous attacking a high kick.

Not really qualified to comment on our new signings. Apart from Misi and Johnston they're young lads

On 21/04/2021 at 16:43, OriginalMrC said:

The odds are way off (and I'm not just saying it because I'm a Coventry fan 😂). For example there is no way West Wales should have better odds than Crusaders! 

I do think Barrow are strong favourites this year but who knows. Two years ago whwn Whitehaven won the league no one including the bookies had them as favourites 

Two years ago Whitehaven managed to find a way to grind out wins in tight games; a significant number of games were won by small margins.

I honestly think it'll be a year of rebuilding for most of the clubs - and as such anything could (and probably will) happen!! The only thing I would bet on is Cru to win both Welsh derbies 🙂

...wonder if any bookies will do a double on that one?? lol

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Archived