Briers to leave Warrington

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I hope he gets another position in the game, if he does this could really be the making of him as a coach. A bit like any profession, sometimes you have to move jobs to stretch yourself and improve.

Can't see him getting a head coaching position in SL, he would have to be a Australian to do that, so he will probably have to step down to the Championship to achieve that, there will be a club not a million miles away doing that too so I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes up there.

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Either way, it sounds like it's going to be a fresh start for Warrington, which I don't think will be a bad thing

Be interesting to see who is assistant's will be, could be more leaving cas. 

5 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Lee Briers and Andrew Henderson will leave

Warrington at the end of the season  as Powell brings his own backroom staff. 

Briers has been at Warrington for 24 years having an outstanding playing career and coaching at various levels. 

Wasn't, isn't Andrew Hendersons  name been mentioned for the vacant job at Cas Tigers at the end of the season?

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Wasn't, isn't Andrew Hendersons  name been mentioned for the vacant job at Cas Tigers at the end of the season?

Yes, hope they both get positions. But from a Warrington point of view a complete new set of coaches is what they need to re-energize the club. 

Its a good thing for Briers to move on, if he wants to make it as a coach he will suffer failures before success. Being the hero at your long term club with faithful fans having high expectations of you as the new messiah is a path that has been trodden and found to be a bad, very bad, idea. See K. Cunningham for a first point of reference.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

what do you mean "evidence"??

one of the coaches told me himself FFS.  Even the fact he was sent out there on loan says a lot.

He went to Rochdale on dual registration as Warrington had an agreement with them, as happens to many players with no reserves in place. The likes of Kevin Penny, Benjamin Jullien and Declan Patton also played there. Pretty much every Super League club was doing similar back then.

After each of his first 2 games at Rochdale he was recalled by Warrington to play for them again the week after where he played in victories until losing his place at Warrington again. He also played in 22 games for Warrington that season including a Grand Final. I guess it would be pretty hard to play more than 3 games for Rochdale when you spend the vast majority of it playing for Warrington.

I've seen Facebook threads with more quality than this one.

This story about a drinking culture is a bit sad. We are not, and have not been for many a year, a team lacking fitness or dedication - it would be fairly obvious if we were. In the last 2-3 years we have lacked invention and incisiveness, especially in close games. That's why we need a clean sweep of the coaching staff.

I think this move is good news for both parties: Briers needs a fresh environment if he wants to develop more as a coach; Powell doesn't need someone in the corner saying 'that's not how we used to do it'.

Lee's service to the club has been outstanding and maybe we will see him back once day. If not, it has been a very entertaining quarter of a century and there are a lot of happy memories.

Now, back to posts about imaginary lock-ins at the Three Pigeons and razors.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

425 appearances, record 2586 points. 3 challenge cup winners, lance todd winner, assistant coach when beating his home town club st helens. Up there with the legends of the club. 

Top class bloke and club great. Maybe he got tired of it being Warrington's year?

17 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

425 appearances, record 2586 points. 3 challenge cup winners, lance todd winner, assistant coach when beating his home town club st helens. Up there with the legends of the club. 

He also steered Wales into a half time lead against Australia in the World Cup too. 

17 hours ago, JohnM said:

Not my cup of tea, but Shirley...no one can doubt his commitment to the club and the game (not that anyone is doing) In his role as water carrier, and even on occasions as the 14th man, he's been one of the most driven of people. Let's just hope he stays in our code and does not find if necessary to move to another code to find employment.

I agree with everything you say but stop calling me Shirley! 

Always admired Briers as a player and I genuinely hope he stays within RL as a coach.

If I had to make a list of my favourite players to watch over the years he would be high up on my list.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I've seen Facebook threads with more quality than this one.

This story about a drinking culture is a bit sad. We are not, and have not been for many a year, a team lacking fitness or dedication - it would be fairly obvious if we were. In the last 2-3 years we have lacked invention and incisiveness, especially in close games. That's why we need a clean sweep of the coaching staff.

I think this move is good news for both parties: Briers needs a fresh environment if he wants to develop more as a coach; Powell doesn't need someone in the corner saying 'that's not how we used to do it'.

Lee's service to the club has been outstanding and maybe we will see him back once day. If not, it has been a very entertaining quarter of a century and there are a lot of happy memories.

Now, back to posts about imaginary lock-ins at the Three Pigeons and razors.

You beat me to it, I was once again going to challenge this 'Wire have a culture issue' - there is nothing bad about the culture that has led to 4 Grand Finals, 2 LLS, 6 Cup Finals with 4 wins in the last 12 years.

An average loss in those 6 finals of 7 points - many of the games were outstanding RL games where we played our part brilliantly - rather than some kind of pee'd up local rugby team.

58 minutes ago, Dave T said:

An average loss in those 6 finals of 7 points - many of the games were outstanding RL games where we played our part brilliantly - rather than some kind of pee'd up local rugby team.

What’s worrying is a current SL coach and a former staff member is peddling this nonsense apparently

I’d love to know who they were so immediately distrust anything else they said

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

You beat me to it, I was once again going to challenge this 'Wire have a culture issue' - there is nothing bad about the culture that has led to 4 Grand Finals, 2 LLS, 6 Cup Finals with 4 wins in the last 12 years.

Interesting take on it.

A "glass half full" approach, if we want to keep it topical. 👍🏾

I think the fact they have never won a Grand Final despite their resources, points at least partly to a culture issue. Not necessarily a booze culture, but something within the club environment not being right. 

55 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting take on it.

A "glass half full" approach, if we want to keep it topical. 👍🏾

I think the fact they have never won a Grand Final despite their resources, points at least partly to a culture issue. Not necessarily a booze culture, but something within the club environment not being right. 

The games are there to watch, what exactly points to a culture issue? It would have been another win in the cup apart from Houghton's wonder tackle - how does that equate to being a culture issue at Wire? 

How does winning all those semi finals, often beating the likes of Saints at their own ground equate to a culture issue? 

It's a lazy piece of analysis that people like to quote. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The games are there to watch, what exactly points to a culture issue? It would have been another win in the cup apart from Houghton's wonder tackle - how does that equate to being a culture issue at Wire? 

How does winning all those semi finals, often beating the likes of Saints at their own ground equate to a culture issue? 

I couldn't agree more. 

Some people may not realise that Steve Price's first signing was not a player but Kylie Leuluai, a born winner. He's been there all along to instil the professionalism and culture that was so successful at Leeds. 

Do people think 10 finals in 12 years is not success on some level? Were they all so drunk or high that they only won a few of those 10? 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Nah - it's not lazy. I didn't make any mention of the Cups, because they have done well there.

For me, they have a tendency to lose important, but winnable games mid season as well as playoffs. I think they should have had more than 2 LLS, putting them in pole position for a GF spot.

They haven't managed that though, and there are countless examples of unprofessionalism costing them important games.  A good example would be the Catalans game from 2019 - when the captain started a brawl early on and got sin binned. Then Jake Mamo made an unbelievable tackle, but threw the ball off the pitch in a professional foul - another sin bin. Catalans, who had nothing to play for, and been hammered by 40 at Salford the week before, and by 50 at home to Hull before that, slapped Wire by about 20 points. It should have been an easy Warrington win. They ended up missing 3rd place a few weeks later by 2 points, and had to play Castleford away, and got pumped out. If they had rolled Catalans, they would have had a home semi against Salford or Cas. It was a complete lack of professionalism.

There are numerous examples like that over the years. You can call it lazy if you like, but it comes from watching a lot of RL, not quoting someone else's analysis.

Archived