New England Kit

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Says it all really. No surprise at all.

A 3 paragraph review, but you have no intention of buying it.

I just can't see many other people buying it either TBH despite what @Spidey says. 

If you compare sports, England football (Euros) goes for a simple, classy white shirt with the Nike logo and a badge (3 lions) in the centre. England union also goes with a simple but slightly less classy white shirt with red detailing, umbro logo, and a large sponsor, as well as a badge (rose) on the left. Both sports have gone for a (relatively) classy understated look. 

Is the Rugby League market really so different from these sports? It has again taken a very different approach in that it has a cheap looking shirt that will look out of date incredibly quickly. 

Still, the team might be really proud to wear that flag thing (maybe?) and I guess that is more important. 

Don't get me wrong, I certainly would buy it if I could afford it but I'm poor which is why I wait until its on a discount site before buying. I haven't bought this years Hull shirt yet despite it being my favourite for at least a decade and me having almost every home shirt from the last 20 years simply because I cannot afford £50 for a piece of clothing. I'd rather pay my electric bill. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don't get me wrong, I certainly would buy it if I could afford it but I'm poor which is why I wait until its on a discount site before buying. I haven't bought this years Hull shirt yet despite it being my favourite for at least a decade and me having almost every home shirt from the last 20 years simply because I cannot afford £50 for a piece of clothing. I'd rather pay my electric bill. 

Fair do's.

Hull is a belter, I agree. 

An absolute cracker of a jersey.

Apart from the big red cross, the three lions on the front, and the various oversized logo's, I like it.

Can't help but feel that the white shirt with red piping would be better.

Still, I have only ever owned one replica shirt (Lancashire circa late 80's) so England have not lost any income.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

I quite like it. The 2008 and 17 kits with the cross look naff but I like this one, just a remake of 1995. The 2011 ‘paint cross’ was nice as well. Only England shirt I own is the 2013 one but I’m tempted to get this one

Actually it is growing on me. I don't like the large 3 lions but the rest isn't bad.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why’s the cross all wonky ? Don’t like that . 

Just the way it is hanging in that pic. You can see with the A in DACIA

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No why isn’t it in the middle 

Edit. Do you mean the vertical part should be in the middle.

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No why isn’t it in the middle 

Because it's not a flag with sleeves?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Because the last time we did that the 2000 world cup happened and no one wants to emulate that. 

I don’t like the cross look on the jersey in general tbh . The plain white one with a bit of red trim was better 

It’s basic and dull. Nothing exciting about this at all. Calling it average would be kind.

Though it’s nothing more than I expected.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It does seem that having a cross on the shirt is becoming England's brand. I think I'm right in saying, with the exception of 2013, England have had a cross on the shirt at every World Cup since 1995 and I seem to remember a cross in one or more of the fours nations as well. 

And the 2013 shirt is the best we’ve had! (Also liked the one off red/white hopped shirt for the Aus test in Melbourne)

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

In fairness to Oxen, I feel they did as well as they could with the limited design scope they had available to them.

I mean, they couldn't do hoops cause that's too close to Wigan, they couldn't do a red V because that is too close to St Helens, blue seems to be a no go, especially with fans on this forum, and they couldn't do a plain white kit for a range of reasons including it doesn't sell as well and contractually they had to provide something different than what Hummel did.

Considering England has had the St George cross in every RLWC kit since 95 (even in 2013 we had a light grey one), I'm sure the RFL was pushing for that asset to be included in some capacity as well.

Personally, I don't mind it, if nothing else the kit screams England, which considering the Tasmanian Tiger has more sightings each year than the England national rugby league team, again shows Oxen has little brand equity to work with.

We also shouldn't pretend like our mates at Football or Union haven't designed a bad kit or two for their national squads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

In fairness to Oxen, I feel they did as well as they could with the limited design scope they had available to them.

I mean, they couldn't do hoops cause that's too close to Wigan, they couldn't do a red V because that is too close to St Helens, blue seems to be a no go, especially with fans on this forum, and they couldn't do a plain white kit for a range of reasons including it doesn't sell as well and contractually they had to provide something different than what Hummel did.

Considering England has had the St George cross in every RLWC kit since 95 (even in 2013 we had a light grey one), I'm sure the RFL was pushing for that asset to be included in some capacity as well.

Personally, I don't mind it, if nothing else the kit screams England, which considering the Tasmanian Tiger has more sightings each year than the England national rugby league team, again shows Oxen has little brand equity to work with.

We also shouldn't pretend like our mates at Football or Union haven't designed a bad kit or two for their national squads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In all honesty I think oxen could have, and should have, produced a kit that was so much better than they have. What they’ve done is keep it cheap. 

it’s a cost effective kit.

For their first foray into a deal for the national team they should have been determined to produce their best kit to date, as any progressive sports brand would. And taken a completely new and unique approach to it. Make a positive impact. Instead they’ve giving England exactly what they’ve given every other club side, in a basic polyester fabric (which has zero interest in it), some tipping on their standard and bland collar and a st.George cross, which has never looked good on any previous jersey, which no doubt would have been a direction from the RFL, as you mentioned. The less said about the 3 different sized lions lifted from the logo and placed on the side to try and remove some of that dead space the better. And having your main sponsor logo so big it actually starts and finishes practically under the arms speaks volumes.

This kit would have been dull 20 years ago.

To me everything about it shouts budget and basic. 
But of course that could have been the brief from the RFL. Unlikely, but possible.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

It’s basic and dull. Nothing exciting about this at all. Calling it average would be kind.

Though it’s nothing more than I expected.

It's anything but basic. What people are describing as their preferred shirt (pain white with maybe a bit of red trim) is basic.

If anything, it's guilty of having too much.

Personally, I like it. It's a modern twist on a retro design.

Also, in response to others, the 2013 shirt did have a cross IIRC. It just wasn't red (was like a silver/grey subtle one).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived