Membership fees to play Community RL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I also know for a fact that some of the regionals pay the BARLA league fees to ensure they still have a say in how the cash is eventually distributed 

BARLA distributes cash 😂,really ? I thought they spent their monthly meetings counting it in a vault buried deep inside a bunker in Yorkshire 

Just now, Spidey said:

Specifically the NWCL. It was the more or less same committee for about 10 years

Again that’s for NWCL to ask the question. Sometimes when the same people have sat in the same seats for years people feel It would be a waste of time standing.

Im sure there’s plenty of young or recently retired players who would step up if they were encouraged to do so 

2 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Again that’s for NWCL to ask the question. Sometimes when the same people have sat in the same seats for years people feel It would be a waste of time standing.

Im sure there’s plenty of young or recently retired players who would step up if they were encouraged to do so 

Same went for the various junior leagues in the NW

There just isn’t the volunteer base that there used to be.  I’d love for there to be a queue of people ready to give up their time. But there simply isn’t. The sport needs to adapt to that, if it means paid administrators at the RFL so be it - that comes at a cost 

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Same went for the various junior leagues in the NW

There just isn’t the volunteer base that there used to be.  I’d love for there to be a queue of people ready to give up their time. But there simply isn’t. The sport needs to adapt to that, if it means paid administrators at the RFL so be it - that comes at a cost 

Is there absolutely any suggestion that this is what the membership fees will be used for?

13 hours ago, henage said:

If You want to engage with children and local youth that live within some of the poorest areas in the country , local and national government really need to spend more money .  Targeted into areas that would help communities , children and youths .

Right. But that clearly isn't going to happen.

Discretionary spending by councils has dropped dramatically in recent years, so there's no point in saying stuff like that.

If registration fees are going to stop kids in Hull playing the game, then perhaps the RFL needs to provide support/reductions/aid/fee amnesty/etc for clubs from deprived areas.

39 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Discretionary spending by councils has dropped dramatically in recent years

Without wishing to drag this into politics, let's be clear that this isn't because councils are sitting on vast reserves or spending all their money on diversity training. It's because funds to councils have been cut so severely that many are not simply not able to meet their legal obligations on services, let alone do nice extra things like support community sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Without wishing to drag this into politics, let's be clear that this isn't because councils are sitting on vast reserves or spending all their money on diversity training. It's because funds to councils have been cut so severely that many are not simply not able to meet their legal obligations on services, let alone do nice extra things like support community sport.

Of course it is. That is why I just said "discretionary spending".

I didn't post an explanation as it has nothing to do with the thread. 

On 24/04/2021 at 09:38, cookey said:

My rugby union club pays £500/yr,whilst my cricket club pays £300/yr.

The reaction here,is rather like a player who turns up,plays the game,goes home and complains about having to pay any subs. Certain players seem to believe that facilities are provided and maintained for free,the magic fairy maintains pitches,marks out pitches,washes kit,rates etc,etc.

General threads on here include,can I get in free,whats the discount code,I'd go if it was cheaper than that(no they wouldn't),I'm not paying extra for my 10 yo,usually followed by,why isn't there any money in the game.

Why are Rugby League fans so tight? Such a stereotypical northern mentality that helping to hold back the great game. 

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Why are Rugby League fans so tight? Such a stereotypical northern mentality that helping to hold back the great game. 

My club has about 35 registered open age players so far,  plus around 150 youth plus volunteers, coaches etc. And that will increase as the season progresses.

So if the fees are brought in that would mean from my club alone the costs would be circa 6k minimum.

Based on historical performance I can’t see where our club would get value for money from the RFL on a 6k investment.

The membership scheme also doesn’t take into account that a very high proportion of players of all ages might only play or train a couple of times a year.

it isn’t unusual for an open age side to register 50-60 players for one side over a season, some lads sign in to help out when the teams struggling and might never play!

it isn’t quite as bad at youth but there will still be an average of 20% of players will only train and play a handful of times 

And I should add that my town is in a deprived area !! 😡

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

My club has about 35 registered open age players so far,  plus around 150 youth plus volunteers, coaches etc.

So if the £30 fee is brought in that would mean from my club alone the costs would be circa 6k.

And I should add that my town is in a deprived area !! 😡

Have you been told what the ''levy'' is going to be?

Or are you estimating what you think it will be? 

21 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

image.thumb.jpeg.25183c7fd3fd0fc05d806f4900fd946b.jpeg

👆🏻 Proposed fees above 

What’s the difference between the three levels?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

image.thumb.jpeg.25183c7fd3fd0fc05d806f4900fd946b.jpeg

👆🏻 Proposed fees above 

So roughly speaking that ranges from about £900 adults + £2400 for kids (for your club, given the membership you have) £3300 in total,  to £1350 adults + £3200 for kids £4550 in total.

On average thats £3925 per club. 

If only 100 clubs of this size were involved, that's nearly £400,000. That is a lot of money.

Where can we find estimates of just how many clubs (and what the average membership is) to calculate the total amount of money this proposal would generate? 

I would like to calculate the value of the benefits involved too, such as free insurance costs, which must be a sizeable cost for each player and therefore get a ''feel'' for what the net cash-flow to the RFL will be and what they intend to do with it.

Transparency about all of this would, I'm sure, help to carry the majorities support for these proposals.

Looking at it from the other end (my salesman's ''funny money'' end), 60 odd pence a week, for Adults and 40 odd pence a week for kids doesn't sound like a lot of money to me.  

Insurance premiums aren’t that much, when I was involved a few years ago I can’t recall it ever costing more than £5-600 for all the teams.

It’s the clubs that do all the work at this level, they provide the coaching, facilities, strips after match food.

most will take a weekly subs from parents who may have more than one child playing.

they might also have other sports to pay subs for. Swimming lessons, football, cricket, rugby Union.

kids are expensive and I don’t think asking everyone to pay a fee will work.

it reminds me of the ill fated Poll Tax, and we all know how that ended !!

I think this is getting a bit one-sided and a bit unfair the way some of you are breaking everything down, especially when there is no insight into the running costs. 

It would be like Leeds Rhinos increasing match ticket prices by £1 one season. Then I get out my calculator and say, hold on! £1 x 10,000 fans x 15 home matches = £150,000!!! Outrage!!

Has anyone thought about the other side of the debate? Expenses? One very simple example: inflation. Which is currently 2.5% in the UK.

If RFL's operating budget last year was £1 millon. It means that from inflation alone, it increases by £25,000 the following year.

22 minutes ago, langpark said:

I think this is getting a bit one-sided and a bit unfair the way some of you are breaking everything down, especially when there is no insight into the running costs. 

That’s been my point from the get-go!

Where’s the transparency?

what’s the costs involved with running the community game?

how much do Sport a England pay into the pot?

You can’t just have a handful of undisclosed people making a decision that affects the wider game without being totally transparent 

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Right. But that clearly isn't going to happen.

Discretionary spending by councils has dropped dramatically in recent years, so there's no point in saying stuff like that.

If registration fees are going to stop kids in Hull playing the game, then perhaps the RFL needs to provide support/reductions/aid/fee amnesty/etc for clubs from deprived areas.

Nearly all teams are in or close to deprived areas . Even a little joined up thinking/planning would go a long towards helping teams / children/youths . I'm not holding my breath 

8 hours ago, henage said:

Nearly all teams are in or close to deprived areas . Even a little joined up thinking/planning would go a long towards helping teams / children/youths . I'm not holding my breath 

Joined up planning/thinking by who for what purpose? And with what money?

23 hours ago, Davo5 said:

BARLA distributes cash 😂,really ? I thought they spent their monthly meetings counting it in a vault buried deep inside a bunker in Yorkshire 

YES really, BARLA were one of the first to come to the aid of clubs at the start of Covid, simply application form speedily processed with prompt payments - a true god send to loads of clubs who needed a quick cash influx

11 hours ago, henage said:

There are other sports teams beside rugby league...   union football cricket bowls hockey, you name it.

This is outrageous, players chip in to Clubs, clubs chip in to various leagues they participate in I.e NCL, Yorkshire men's, Each age group league.....National Governing Body should also chip in to the Leagues primarily through securing Sport England grants for this purpose ffs. 

Archived