Welsh Super League team?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I popped to the pub and have come back and it’s 2005. I look forward to seeing how Celtic Crusaders get on. Maybe they’ll do better than Paris and Gateshead. 

Never know, one day there might be a team in Toronto, they'd definitely do really well and be the saviour of RL no doubt. 

9 hours ago, langpark said:

The fact it would be run by the Welsh governing body is what I found interesting and makes it different from any of the previous attempts. 

I’m 99.9% sure it’s women’s, the WRFL couldn’t afford to run a L1 club, let alone a SL one. Good idea this though, the women’s team I mean. 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Never know, one day there might be a team in Toronto, they'd definitely do really well and be the saviour of RL no doubt. 

Yes, they might get crowds considerably larger than most super League teams and then get hit by a worldwide pandemic followed by being voted out by clubs with smaller crowds.......

33 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

How competitive will the Welsh girls be v England on June 25th anyone know their standard.

Paul

No idea, but i can't wait to find out.

4 hours ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

That’s a great idea you need a team like the NZ Warriors that all Welsh fans will back.

The problem in Wales is that there are 2 distinct population centres - North, mainly around here in Wrexham, and South, mainly Cardiff/Newport/Swansea, with precious little in between and no decent north-south road to travel between the two. If there were such a road, and the team was based around halfway down the country on said road, then there may be a sporting chance...

In fact, when Cru were in SL and based in Wrexham, there were quite a few of the southern fans used to travel up for home games, but a lot dropped off as it was such a nauseous and time-consuming trip. To give you an idea, Wrexham to Llanelli (West Wales Raiders) is around 3 hours!!

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

The problem in Wales is that there are 2 distinct population centres - North, mainly around here in Wrexham, and South, mainly Cardiff/Newport/Swansea, with precious little in between and no decent north-south road to travel between the two. If there were such a road, and the team was based around halfway down the country on said road, then there may be a sporting chance...

In fact, when Cru were in SL and based in Wrexham, there were quite a few of the southern fans used to travel up for home games, but a lot dropped off as it was such a nauseous and time-consuming trip. To give you an idea, Wrexham to Llanelli (West Wales Raiders) is around 3 hours!!

And North and South Wales even speak different versions of Welsh (and argue bitterly about which is the purist!). The best thing to do here is to let the game evolve naturally - I always maintain that London's problems began with the club being effectively being dumped in the original SL.

5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And North and South Wales even speak different versions of Welsh (and argue bitterly about which is the purist!). The best thing to do here is to let the game evolve naturally - I always maintain that London's problems began with the club being effectively being dumped in the original SL.

The North Welsh may be arguing about whether their Welsh is the purist but no one can understand them and their silly accents and made up words.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A WRL administered team would be difficult imo. It would face a fundamental tension between being commercially successful and developing Welsh talent. That tension would be almost irreconcilable to the point it would jeopardise the whole endeavour.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

A WRL administered team would be difficult imo. It would face a fundamental tension between being commercially successful and developing Welsh talent. That tension would be almost irreconcilable to the point it would jeopardise the whole endeavour.

Not really an issue for a women’s side right now

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not really an issue for a women’s side right now

A Women's WRL SL side would be a no brainer. You could include a few talented Welsh-based overseas students to give the side extra strength and it is helping the Welsh women's national side too. 

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There are a lot of hurdles like the ones you mention. As I said, I do not think anything of its kind has been attempted, so will be interesting to see how it goes. Since nobody else has taken the initiative, I think its great that WRL is taking the bull by the horns.

It really is a shame there is no semi pro (men's) team in Cardiff. It seems bizarre to me that Wrexham and Llaneli have one, but Cardiff does not. It would have been great if they and this new womens SL team could be the same brand. 

Archived