Henry Perenara calls time on Refereeing for health reasons

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-2021-referee-henry-perenara-retires-with-heart-condition/5d7dd437-ea83-4b5f-af37-dc3318cb44d0

Henry Perenara, a top-flight referee and a pretty decent player in his younger days, has retired with immediate effect. He was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia, a condition that causes an abnormally high pulse rate. He will still work in the bunker and help coach junior refs.

Good luck to him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-2021-referee-henry-perenara-retires-with-heart-condition/5d7dd437-ea83-4b5f-af37-dc3318cb44d0

Henry Perenara, a top-flight referee and a pretty decent player in his younger days, has retired with immediate effect. He was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia, a condition that causes an abnormally high pulse rate. He will still work in the bunker and help coach junior refs.

Good luck to him.

Good luck to him for the future where ever that takes him

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Guess we will no longer have a NZ referee on the international panel now. Good luck to HP - I believe he will be on bunker duty.

I hope a Kiwi ref can step up and fill in the void left by Henry's departure

Yeh there was obviously something going on beyond the norm the way Vossy was talking . I didn’t mind Henry in the main , he had a good manner and rapport with the players on the field . Hope he’s ok in the long run . 

He refereed at Derwent Park in the 2013 WC , I watched him taking video footage on his phone from the centre of the field prematch . Obviously this was the highlight of his career . In fact he could have retired then , it’s downhill after that 

Good luck to him a good ref i  thought. 

i assume his international position will be taken by the new ref...Sutton MK3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 26/04/2021 at 01:57, lucky 7 said:

I hope a Kiwi ref can step up and fill in the void left by Henry's departure

A nice sentiment but going from NZ domestic RL refereeing to the NRL is unlikely. I guess much like having a French ref in SL as was the case a few years back. One pops up occasionally but not a likely scenario.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

He refereed at Derwent Park in the 2013 WC , I watched him taking video footage on his phone from the centre of the field prematch . Obviously this was the highlight of his career . In fact he could have retired then , it’s downhill after that 

Yeah,totally shocked by his surroundings I believe.

Good luck to the lad.

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

Evidence for Injury Claims Direct 😄 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,totally shocked by his surroundings I believe.

Good luck to the lad.

I’m sure he rewatches that footage to this day , lingering fondly on the vista towards the burger van end 

38 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Not a very good official at all and constantly had it in for us

No he didn't.

It's about time people grew up and stopped thinking that when a ref awards a penalty against them, it doesn't mean it is as part of some vindictive vendetta.

Good luck to the guy, I hope he is OK going forward.

I must admit I thought he'd have had enough of diggers bashing him when they lost.

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I guess much like having a French ref in SL as was the case a few years back. One pops up occasionally but not a likely scenario.

Yes it's exactly the same it would take a bit of effort and training 😲, so we'll ignore it and the Aussies will be pleased.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

No he didn't.

It's about time people grew up and stopped thinking that when a ref awards a penalty against them, it doesn't mean it is as part of some vindictive vendetta.

Good luck to the guy, I hope he is OK going forward.

If he refs in the NRL, of course his style will be more familiar to NRL players. Hence why Aus vs Eng with him as ref may seem that way.

Just like how if Ireland (mostly UK-based players) were to play against Samoa (mostly NRL) with a SL ref, that would be beneficial to Ireland.

1 minute ago, langpark said:

If he refs in the NRL, of course his style will be more familiar to NRL players. Hence why Aus vs Eng with him as ref may seem that way.

Just like how if Ireland (mostly UK-based players) were to play against Samoa (mostly NRL) with a SL ref, that would be beneficial to Ireland.

I think you'll find most UK fans were happy with Perenara and were more than happy to have neutral refs.

Archived