Promotion/Relegation & the loan system

I'm not against the loan system, bearing in mind we have promotion and relegation. Is it fair that York have 5-6 players playing against Swinton that are on loan. Isn't this just a revised version of the Dual Reg system? So York lose their first 3 games and then just say what the heck we'll just loan players to close the gap with the top teams. 

Anyone know what the rules are around the loaning of players, are there limits of how many players you can loan and where you get them from. 

What's to stop a team like Featherstone from loaning a load of players in the play offs to get promoted like they did a couple of years ago

Loans are useful to keep players who are on the outer at SL clubs motivated and playing at a decent standard. However, it inherently benefits clubs who are geographically close to SL clubs as you are basically just subbing petrol money to get them there. For other clubs to take loan players from SL clubs they have huge extra costs on relocation etc. 

I am for loan players, but loading them at the business end of the season is not a real reflection of that club's strength.

Dunno , I think it can distort the lower leagues . Dual reg was a mess , now the loan system . I see the merits for higher sides with no reserve grade but from the other perspective  I’m not against everyone having a squad on an equal footing and then let’s see who comes out on top 

York had 4 on loan today, not ‘5 or 6.’ 

And 1 of those 4 (Riley Dean) was signed before a single minute of the season was played after Morgan Smith was ruled out for the season.

What’s more, 2 of those 4 players (Peachey, Aydin) played in the previous match with Dean sitting that one out. So no, York haven’t just loaned a bunch of players after losing the first 3 games, they’ve loaned just 1 player (Wynne) after last weekends defeat which is the exact same as Swinton (afaik) who added 1 player too, Luckley from Salford. 

Not sure what the rules are though. 

59 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm not against the loan system, bearing in mind we have promotion and relegation. Is it fair that York have 5-6 players playing against Swinton that are on loan. Isn't this just a revised version of the Dual Reg system? So York lose their first 3 games and then just say what the heck we'll just loan players to close the gap with the top teams. 

Anyone know what the rules are around the loaning of players, are there limits of how many players you can loan and where you get them from. 

What's to stop a team like Featherstone from loaning a load of players in the play offs to get promoted like they did a couple of years ago

Clubs may have a maximum of 5 loan players in each match day squad they field. 

34 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

And 1 of those 4 (Riley Dean) was signed before a single minute of the season was played after Morgan Smith was ruled out for the season.

What’s more, 2 of those 4 players (Peachey, Aydin) played in the previous match with Dean sitting that one out. So no, York haven’t just loaned a bunch of players after losing the first 3 games, they’ve loaned just 1 player (Wynne) after last weekends defeat which is the exact same as Swinton (afaik) who added 1 player too, Luckley from Salford. 

Ok thanks for the clarification 

Loan deals lasting all of a fortnight must either be a) A Trial or b) Having better players in certain positions than the forthcoming opposition.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57903/york-city-knights-announce-two-loan-deals#:~:text=York City Knights have confirmed,at the LNER Community Stadium.

Funny old game...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

55 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Ok thanks for the clarification 

Mind you I might be wrong, some of the players (Kirmond, Atkins, BJB) are listed as ‘joining for the 2021 season’ which often sounds like they’ve joined on a season long loan. I’m just going from memory as I’m 99% sure they aren’t on loan.

I don't mind the flexibility we have in our loan system or the idea of loans in general.

In Championship football plenty of the top teams have premier league loanees to boost their squads, arguably its become a semi essential way to reach the top of that table. I don't see why that should be different in RL?

Possibly we could enact a transfer/loan window type arrangement? Other than that I really don't see what's wrong.

As someone who was always an opponent of Dual registration for the same reason. I oppose the loanees for  If you claim to be a serious candidate for a Super League place you have to be able to play your own players not someone elses

And it does distort the league as Derek Beaumont pointed out if you prepare to play your championship rivals and then end up feeling you are playing Leeds reserve grade.

5 loan players is 2/3 too many and I post this as a supporter of a club that would in my opinion need about 8 loan players from Wigan and St Helens to be serious contender.

Clubs need to make their case for Super League on their own merits not someone elses

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

How has dean been getting on?

26 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

How has dean been getting on?

Funny old game is RL....up until this morning I wasn’t too convinced.

He scored York’s first try at the new stadium vs Hull in a friendly which was a great try but didn’t notice much else, solid game 6/10. Next match was the season opener vs Toulouse where a lot of the team struggled, he was quiet but to be fair his halfback partner was playing with a hamstring injury (I think) so Riley had to try and step up 5/10. 

Today he was excellent, ok it was ‘only’ Swinton but he scored twice, seemed to be organising a lot of the play and looked very dangerous. If it wasn’t for his halfback partner getting 4 tries I think Riley would’ve got MOTM. Today I’d give him a 9/10.

Hope to see him push on even more then he’ll be partnering Truman at Warrington next year 😉

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

In all seriousness aren't you now allowed more loan players than DR ones on the pitch at one time?

To be honest I don't know. Featherstone use the loan system themselves by loaning 3 players out to Champ 1 clubs, giving them some game time util they're needed by Fev.

Is there anything stopping all the clubs in the championship loaning 5 SL players, just to balance things out? Or is it just that some clubs don't utilise all options for recruitment, just so that their supporters can gripe about those clubs who do? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

😄  😄

I know you're dying for Toulouse to go up, but don't make stuff up. 😉

I must have missed Fev's promotion a couple of years ago. 😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

20 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Is there anything stopping all the clubs in the championship loaning 5 SL players, just to balance things out? Or is it just that some clubs don't utilise all options for recruitment, just so that their supporters can gripe about those clubs who do? 

In theory no, but some clubs may not be able to afford any financial implications (or choose to spend elsewhere) and not all Championship set ups are what Super League clubs are looking to loan to. That second point particularly leads to a compounding of success, as for example Leeds clearly saw Fev and Bradford as good environments to send loanees to

Archived