Championship TV deal getting closer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully they get a decent deal. I think the future of the Championship is to be self sufficient from SL.

Also, if the Championship can increase its income and profile it can become a stronger league which would help with the step up and down for clubs getting promoted to or relegated from SL

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How much could this be worth, do we think?

18/6d

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On a more serious note, TV exposure makes club sponsorship more valuable so even if the £ notes don't seem great the value shouldn't be under-estimated.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How much could this be worth, do we think?

Equal to or less than Sky pay for the NRL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I personally think there are only 2 options here 

1/SKY (Extra money)

2/Our League (And build it up seems to be going OK at present and can only get better)

Premier Sports just doesn't cut the mustard the Pro 14 (15) I hear is going back to SKY its been a disaster for them

Paul

Premier Sports are not a channel that pays a ha'penny more than it has to, and they don't have much to spend in the first place.

The only benefit I can see in this scenario is if Championship matches also get shared broadcasts on Freesports TV. That would, at least make the coverage available to anyone with a HD TV tuner and provide some exposure to attract sponsors to the clubs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Premier Sports are not a channel that pays a ha'penny more than it has to, and they don't have much to spend in the first place.

The only benefit I can see in this scenario is if Championship matches also get shared broadcasts on Freesports TV. That would, at least make the coverage available to anyone with a HD TV tuner and provide some exposure to attract sponsors to the clubs.

Yes needs to be on Freesports too - that would have a real impact for the competition. I really can't see that many new subscribers for the Championship as Premier Sports is not a channel packed with must watch TV. 

I’m sure there are a ton of reasons why this is a terrible idea. However...

Would the championship not benefit more from offering these (if there was interest) to the BBC for virtually nothing, than they would from receiving a modest fee from the likes of Premier Sports?

Even if it was on iPlayer, I’d guess the viewing figures would be a fairly strong multiple of most other satellite channels.

The thought being they’d then hopefully parlay this exposure into greater attendance figures etc.?

Potentially offers a better deal for the clubs, less so for the RFL? 

52 minutes ago, Padge said:

On a more serious note, TV exposure makes club sponsorship more valuable so even if the £ notes don't seem great the value shouldn't be under-estimated.

To how many viewers though? Have the journalists reporting on this mentioned the viewing figures for the channel?

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

To how many viewers though? Have the journalists reporting on this mentioned the viewing figures for the channel?

Sponsors only pay sponsorship for exposure, the more exposure the higher the value to a sponsor. Championship clubs have a fairly low eyeball rate, if you can increase that through what is a marginal TV channel it will be a big jump.

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

There is no way that Premier are paying over £1m for rights to second division rugby league. No way at all.

I totally agree, and also no way that all that money is filtered down to the clubs.

So with 12 teams taking a cut of one twelfth from an already cut rights fee of a minimal amount is it really worth shopping it around as opposed to getting the most eyes you can on it regardless of the revenue?

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah you are right.  Pro 14 got 5 mil a year. Just makes me wonder whether just building the app is way to go. 

Did they get that, or did they just claim that?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But then if I'm a club and it works out 100 k per team with no more funding from above I probably want it. 

What planet are you on?

Archived