Hastings hopes to play for England in the World Cup

Jackson Hastings has said he’d love to play for England in the World Cup. Wane has named a 35 man squad which is desperately short of half backs, after only including 3 in the train on squad. In the article Hastings mentions Wane’s previous comments of preferring to pick players born in England, this is not only discrimination it’s also completely ridiculous for a coach not to simply pick his best available players.

You can argue a player needs to be fully committed long term and give their word not to switch allegiances, as the likes of Joe Philbin, Ben Currie and Morgan Knowles have done, but if a player is eligible, commits to the side and is the best available, it’s nothing short of discrimination to exclude them on other grounds.

https://www.totalrl.com/hastings-opens-up-on-england-snub/

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Jackson Hastings has said he’d love to play for England in the World Cup. Wane has named a 35 man squad which is desperately short of half backs, after only including 3 in the train on squad. In the article Hastings mentions Wane’s previous comments of preferring to pick players born in England, this is not only discrimination it’s also completely ridiculous for a coach not to simply pick his best available players.

You can argue a player needs to be fully committed long term and give their word not to switch allegiances, as the likes of Joe Philbin, Ben Currie and Morgan Knowles have done, but if a player is eligible, commits to the side and is the best available, it’s nothing short of discrimination to exclude them on other grounds.

https://www.totalrl.com/hastings-opens-up-on-england-snub/

Does that mean Wane is happy to pick Sam Walker then? Leeds lad.

I’d rather have people who are either English or qualify because they’ve lived here for so long and have come through our RL system, but if he’s the best we have and it improves our chances of winning the WC then I’d get him in. 

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd say Hastings performances for GB did more harm to his international chances than anything else.

He has been sucking Diesel this season though. By the letter of the law, the letter, he should be considered. 

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He has been sucking Diesel this season though. By the letter of the law, the letter, he should be considered. 

I'm not sure quite how Wane has put together his train on squad but God give me strength, we need some half backs in it!

59 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd say Hastings performances for GB did more harm to his international chances than anything else.

If you took GB form as a factor in selecting an England World Cup squad we might struggle to name 24 

I am not sure how we can state that not picking a player is discriminatory as it is entirely a subjective assessment of a players ability, his style of play and his ability to fit into the structures that the coach wants to use.  Some people may think that Hastings is the best half available but a lot of people said the same about Lee Briers or Tommy Martyn for Great Britain.

The coach of an international side has got to take a disparate group of players, form them into a team and motivate them to win for each other and the nation they represent.  If Wane has decided that he thinks he can do this better without all of the Australian accents in the camp then, to be honest, I am ok with that decision.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am not sure how we can state that not picking a player is discriminatory as it is entirely a subjective assessment of a players ability, his style of play and his ability to fit into the structures that the coach wants to use.  Some people may think that Hastings is the best half available but a lot of people said the same about Lee Briers or Tommy Martyn for Great Britain.

The coach of an international side has got to take a disparate group of players, form them into a team and motivate them to win for each other and the nation they represent.  If Wane has decided that he thinks he can do this better without all of the Australian accents in the camp then, to be honest, I am ok with that decision.

It’s the comment that Wane will favour players born in England that’s discriminatory. It was a direct quote from Wane himself. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d rather have people who are either English or qualify because they’ve lived here for so long and have come through our RL system, but if he’s the best we have and it improves our chances of winning the WC then I’d get him in. 

We absolutely have to pick our best available players, any thing else is ludicrous. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s the comment that Wane will favour players born in England that’s discriminatory. It was a direct quote from Wane himself. 

I agree with him.

I have waited a long long time for Great Britain or England to taste success on the international stage... in particular an Ashes series win or a major tournament. 

But I will state for the record that such a win would not be as sweet if it had Jackson Hastings and Blake Austin at 6 and 7 rather than George Williams and Jonny Lomax.

I will say again, if Shaun Wane feels he can craft a better, more motivated and more cohesive squad by leaving out players with Australian accents then I am OK with it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well it is "discriminatory", but so what?  By which I mean, it's a policy decision to select and develop home grown talent.  It's not founded in anything sinister like racism.  With Hastings who - let's face it - is a born and bred Aussie albeit with an English grandparent - and wants to go back to Australia.  I bet he'd jump at an Australia cap if he got the chance.  I don't object to the discrimination here, all things considered.

Ive said before I really couldn’t care less where players are from . If they’re eligible and committed and prove themselves among the best we have then get them in . Personally I didn’t like Wane’s comments , everyone eligible and making themselves available for selection  should be judged equally on merit IMO .  

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Ive said before I really couldn’t care less where players are from . If they’re eligible and committed and prove themselves among the best we have then get them in . Personally I didn’t like Wane’s comments , everyone eligible and making themselves available for selection  should be judged equally on merit IMO .  

I'm actually happy with a policy that says pick the best on eligibility and form or an exclusionary one like Wane's suggesting.  The only difference is that the latter's a policy aimed at long term development.  There's certainly a history of Aussie players playing for Eng/GB for a handful of games, often when their Aussie chances have passed them by, which has a downside even if they give their all.  But I don't per se object to exclusion.  

(Suspect he'll end up picking him anyway 🤣)

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No.  Ofc it's discrimatory as its a World cup played by nations.  He's australian, wants to go home and would switch to Aus if they came knocking. So no. Plus next year when he is bk in NRL he wont care about playing for Eng. It damages the game in sport if English players find themselves overlooked.  

Can you provide a quote or any evidence that’d he’d switch to Australia? The only quotes I can see from Hastings say he wants to play for England. 

I’m fairly sure a player can’t switch between tier 1 Nations, once he represents England he couldn’t represent Australia so you are talking complete rubbish.

Archived