NRL Conference Plan (Merged threads)

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I read this quote about the proposed expansion:

"You have to begin with the end in mind, you have to always keep an eye on the long term and you have to think about what is moving you closer to becoming an even more sustainable and relevant and viable sport."

I wouldn't normally associate RL with such sentiments.  

I would. Namely the NRL. Us, nah, we’re a laughing stock here and outshone by pub games. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Pippen94 said:

Conferences don't work that way. That's bastardized version which reduces stature of conference finals which should be big deal.

I don't understand why it can't work that way?

There is a conference final for each, which you just finish in the top two to be part of.

The other games are qualifiers for the national competition. There is no reason it cannot work that way.

The structure of the playoffs would be exactly the same as it is now.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

34 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't understand why it can't work that way?

There is a conference final for each, which you just finish in the top two to be part of.

The other games are qualifiers for the national competition. There is no reason it cannot work that way.

The structure of the playoffs would be exactly the same as it is now.

Because games would just be another finals game. Sydney championship game would be bigger

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

It seems a bit daft being against it because we may not get a match that we haven't had anyway since 1935. There are also ways around that.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

It seems a bit daft being against it because we may not get a match that we haven't had anyway since 1935. There are also ways around that.

Possibly but I agree that there should be a combined playoffs,under these proposals we’ll never get another Broncos/Cowboys or Parra/Bulldogs GF.

You might also get a dominant conference,Sydney clubs are currently dominating the top 6 and we don’t want a situation like the NFL has faced where the Super Bowl was a damp squib as all the best teams had played each other in the NFC playoffs 

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Possibly but I agree that there should be a combined playoffs,under these proposals we’ll never get another Broncos/Cowboys or Parra/Bulldogs GF.

You might also get a dominant conference,Sydney clubs are currently dominating the top 6 and we don’t want a situation like the NFL has faced where the Super Bowl was a damp squib as all the best teams had played each other in the NFC playoffs 

As I said there are ways around it. You can have exactly the same game format in one league too, its pretty much how fixtures are manipulated anyway.

On 28/04/2021 at 15:50, Pippen94 said:

Conferences don't work that way. That's bastardized version which reduces stature of conference finals which should be big deal.

Ease up Scottie, just cause the NBA and your other US sports don’t do it that way, doesn’t mean it can’t be done that way.

14 hours ago, Pippen94 said:

Because games would just be another finals game. Sydney championship game would be bigger

Whether it's round one or round three of what would be the current playoffs, it is still another finals game.

The semi finals are already pretty big. Naming then the Sydney championship game and stopping the prospect of an all-Sydney grand final isn't going to change that.

On the other hand, the first round games that aren't a knockout could do with more attention. This would be far more beneficial.

No bidders yet for 2nd NZ NRL club, but early days. I thought for quite a while yet there was a consortium in Wellington who was interested in putting a NRL club there, but i could be wrong.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/plenty-of-work-to-do-second-new-zealand-nrl-team-faces-challenges-20210429-p57nlt.html

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whether it's round one or round three of what would be the current playoffs, it is still another finals game.

The semi finals are already pretty big. Naming then the Sydney championship game and stopping the prospect of an all-Sydney grand final isn't going to change that.

On the other hand, the first round games that aren't a knockout could do with more attention. This would be far more beneficial.

What you're suggesting is basically how finals run now but will raise concerns about travel & fairness of groupings. A lot of opposition is fear of the unfamiliar

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Ease up Scottie, just cause the NBA and your other US sports don’t do it that way, doesn’t mean it can’t be done that way.

Setting up concept to fail. Anz netball did that splitting teams from Australia & nz but crossing conferences before gf. Playoffs dragged on & gf lost trans Tasman element which that sport is built on. You can learn a lot from other sports if you care to look

21 minutes ago, Pippen94 said:

Setting up concept to fail. Anz netball did that splitting teams from Australia & nz but crossing conferences before gf. Playoffs dragged on & gf lost trans Tasman element which that sport is built on. You can learn a lot from other sports if you care to look

Are you saying the GF should have a Sydney Vs everyone else element? 

43 minutes ago, Pippen94 said:

What you're suggesting is basically how finals run now but will raise concerns about travel & fairness of groupings. A lot of opposition is fear of the unfamiliar

I would imagine the way they run the finals will be very similar to how they run now. Can't imagine they'll shorten them to just a straight knockout, and certainly won't expand them.

Archived