David argyle twitter

53 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Welcomed? A fairly flexible definition you are applying.

At the risk of re-railment, and its been debating for over 400 pages on one thread, Toronto were hamstrung and weren't treated equally. Under the circumstances they were in, failure was hardly surprising and imo inevitable.

Again, under those same circumstances, rejecting Livolsi's half ar sed submission was probably the correct one at the time.

BUT, thousands of new fans took to the game. Lord knows how far that interest would have spread if they were actually supported and given a slice of the pie.

The complete screw up that was twp means those fans missed out and another opportunity gone. I felt for those fans

Easy to pick on other folk for not spending their money in the way you want.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Griff said:

Easy to pick on other folk for not spending their money in the way you want.

Well aye it is Richie lad. I find it astonishing they weren't 'welcomed' into SL with the same value as other teams. Leigh have had some of that this year.

However you review this episode in RL history,  twp represent an opportunity lost.

On 30/04/2021 at 03:04, Hello said:

Anyone who thinks that covid is fake should take a quick look at the photos of thousands of dead bodies burning right now in India where they're struggling to find space to burn bodies and the crowds of crying families in the street outside hospitals that are literally full 

Anyone who is awake and doesnt believe everything they read in the tabloids will know that some of these pictures are from years ago

17 hours ago, yipyee said:

Anyone who is awake and doesnt believe everything they read in the tabloids will know that some of these pictures are from years ago

Are you for real? Jeez some people are desperate to avoid reality, unbelievable. You need to wake up yourself for flips sake

On 28/04/2021 at 00:26, The Frying Scotsman said:

You really don't know?

- a bigger geographical section of the country.

- more affluent parts of the country. 

- more recognisable cities. (Places people have heard of).

- other countries, apart from England and France. (At professional level). 

Quite obvious I would have thought. 

It won't though.

It takes time to establish new teams. You can't just plant a new team somewhere and expect success. 

Football has the support the and interest in the large cities.

Affluent parts of the country don't really have comparatively successful sporting teams. Most come from places such as Liverpool, Glasgow etc. 

Places such as Cirencester, Salcombe, North Norfolk are never going to have rugby leagie teams. 

Toronto fans here explained that teams such as Hunslet, Batley etc were famous names there and they achieved good crowds at Toronto as a result. 

The best way forward is to acknowledge the traditions as positives. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

It won't though.

It takes time to establish new teams. You can't just plant a new team somewhere and expect success. 

Football has the support the and interest in the large cities.

Affluent parts of the country don't really have comparatively successful sporting teams. Most come from places such as Liverpool, Glasgow etc. 

Places such as Cirencester, Salcombe, North Norfolk are never going to have rugby leagie teams. 

Toronto fans here explained that teams such as Hunslet, Batley etc were famous names there and they achieved good crowds at Toronto as a result. 

The best way forward is to acknowledge the traditions as positives. 

Right - I was thinking more of like London Broncos or York City Knights rather than Leamington Spa or Royal Tunbridge Wells. 

There's posters on here saying that most amateur RL clubs are in "deprived areas" (last week on this forum) so clearly the game simply needs to get a presence in more 'normal' parts of the country (rather than "deprived" areas) in order to maximise it's advertising demographic, and attract proper TV money. 

Large cities can mean Manchester, Sheffield, Toulouse, Newcastle, all of which should be easily achievable if the existing member clubs/RFL really wants it to happen. Toronto should also have been included on that list, but as I said earlier, the member club bs hamstrung them with the financial restrictions they placed on TWP.

As for the Hunslet/Batley argument - I reckon it's garbage. It just doesn't stack up. If they are such "famous names" why does nobody watch them in their own country? Why do people in London not flock to see them when they come to the Broncos? Seriously who the hell has even heard of Hunslet???? I reckon most of the UK has no idea where Hunslet is FFS.

Selecting Hunslet, which has a genuine world-wide fame for reasons other than Rugby League, as the place to plant your tedious little flag really wasn't the greatest choice. But then we would expect little more from you.

A chap I met in japan when I told him I was from Leeds said "ah Hunslet". He was a railwayman to be fair.

I decided not to go into detail as to why 'Unslet to any good Loiner means spawn of satan.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

A chap I met in japan when I told him I was from Leeds said "ah Hunslet". He was a railwayman to be fair.

I decided not to go into detail as to why 'Unslet to any good Loiner means spawn of satan.

I was in Jasper, Alberta in 2009.

Chap picked up on my accent and clocked my rugby shirt.... and in a local accent said "f...ing featherstone", then turned and left the shop laughing and shaking his head!!

I have to say it did make me chuckle.

8 hours ago, M j M said:

Selecting Hunslet, which has a genuine world-wide fame for reasons other than Rugby League

Hunslet does not have genuine world-wide fame.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Industrial revolution? Railways?

I mean, no, really not

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Industrial revolution? Railways?

What about it?
I don't understand how Hunslet has world wide fame, as another poster said I doubt most people in the UK would even be able to place it on a map.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Hunslet does not have genuine world-wide fame.

Depends who you are and what you're into. 

It's certainly not the most obscure Rugby League place.

23 minutes ago, M j M said:

Depends who you are and what you're into. 

It's certainly not the most obscure Rugby League place.

Let me put it this way, in order to be proved wrong, I did some google searches for both Hunslet and famous places associated with our industrial and rail heritage.

The conclusion reached is that Hunslet is not famous beyond a few very Leeds-centric sites saying it is famous and, perhaps more damningly, the lists of places put together by the folk at places like English Heritage (who cover industrial sites) never mention the place.

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

I work in rail, and I genuinely have no idea. Someone needs to tell me; why is Hunslet famous? 

It is famous for the Hunslet engine company founded in 1864 and its shunting locomotives.

Many are preserved worldwide including in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Trinidad.

There is also the Middleton Railway which is the world's oldest continuous working railway. 

The Joshua Tetley brewery was founded there also which also gives it global recognition.

Also the Royal Armouries are in the vicinity.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Let me put it this way, in order to be proved wrong, I did some google searches for both Hunslet and famous places associated with our industrial and rail heritage.

The conclusion reached is that Hunslet is not famous beyond a few very Leeds-centric sites saying it is famous and, perhaps more damningly, the lists of places put together by the folk at places like English Heritage (who cover industrial sites) never mention the place.

It's name will be carried forth forever in the immortal phrase:

"Rome wasn't built in a day... 'Unslet? Maybe."

3 hours ago, Niels said:

It is famous for the Hunslet engine company founded in 1864 and its shunting locomotives.

Many are preserved worldwide including in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Trinidad.

There is also the Middleton Railway which is the world's oldest continuous working railway. 

The Joshua Tetley brewery was founded there also which also gives it global recognition.

Also the Royal Armouries are in the vicinity.

So to sum that up, as @gingerjonfound other than the small minority of railroad buffs out there no one knows anything about the place.

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

So to sum that up, as @gingerjonfound other than the small minority of railroad buffs out there no one knows anything about the place.

Well, except those who are keen rugby league fans and  learn about the game's history 😏

19 hours ago, M j M said:

Selecting Hunslet, which has a genuine world-wide fame for reasons other than Rugby League, as the place to plant your tedious little flag really wasn't the greatest choice. But then we would expect little more from you.

I think the evidence above from a variety of contributors, confirms your post was utter garbage!

"But then we would expect little more from you."

😂

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Did you miss this Heritage site?

There is also the Tetley Brewery site and the Royal Armouries, which is hardly Leeds centric. 

http://www.heritage-railways.com/middle.php

Archived