• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is absolutely no connection between your first sentence and the second. Is this a thread to discuss what Argyle said or just to rant about him?

dear lord... @davidargyle9 is the twitter handle.... he joined in November 2020 and posted that on December 15th 2020 and that was the latest post he has tweeted. Everything he has posted is an obviou

They were welcomed.  They were given concessions.   They asked for more concessions.

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

I work in rail, and I genuinely have no idea. Someone needs to tell me; why is Hunslet famous? 

It is famous for the Hunslet engine company founded in 1864 and its shunting locomotives.

Many are preserved worldwide including in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Trinidad.

There is also the Middleton Railway which is the world's oldest continuous working railway. 

The Joshua Tetley brewery was founded there also which also gives it global recognition.

Also the Royal Armouries are in the vicinity.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Let me put it this way, in order to be proved wrong, I did some google searches for both Hunslet and famous places associated with our industrial and rail heritage.

The conclusion reached is that Hunslet is not famous beyond a few very Leeds-centric sites saying it is famous and, perhaps more damningly, the lists of places put together by the folk at places like English Heritage (who cover industrial sites) never mention the place.

It's name will be carried forth forever in the immortal phrase:

"Rome wasn't built in a day... 'Unslet? Maybe."

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Niels said:

It is famous for the Hunslet engine company founded in 1864 and its shunting locomotives.

Many are preserved worldwide including in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Trinidad.

There is also the Middleton Railway which is the world's oldest continuous working railway. 

The Joshua Tetley brewery was founded there also which also gives it global recognition.

Also the Royal Armouries are in the vicinity.

So to sum that up, as @gingerjonfound other than the small minority of railroad buffs out there no one knows anything about the place.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

So to sum that up, as @gingerjonfound other than the small minority of railroad buffs out there no one knows anything about the place.

Well, except those who are keen rugby league fans and  learn about the game's history 😏

19 hours ago, M j M said:

Selecting Hunslet, which has a genuine world-wide fame for reasons other than Rugby League, as the place to plant your tedious little flag really wasn't the greatest choice. But then we would expect little more from you.

I think the evidence above from a variety of contributors, confirms your post was utter garbage!

"But then we would expect little more from you."

😂

Edited by The Frying Scotsman
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Let me put it this way, in order to be proved wrong, I did some google searches for both Hunslet and famous places associated with our industrial and rail heritage.

The conclusion reached is that Hunslet is not famous beyond a few very Leeds-centric sites saying it is famous and, perhaps more damningly, the lists of places put together by the folk at places like English Heritage (who cover industrial sites) never mention the place.

Did you miss this Heritage site?

There is also the Tetley Brewery site and the Royal Armouries, which is hardly Leeds centric. 

http://www.heritage-railways.com/middle.php

Edited by Niels
3 hours ago, Niels said:

Did you miss this Heritage site?

There is also the Tetley Brewery site and the Royal Armouries, which is hardly Leeds centric. 

http://www.heritage-railways.com/middle.php

That's an index of preserved railways.

I might as well tell you that Northiam is world famous because it has a stop on the Kent and East Sussex.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

That's an index of preserved railways.

I might as well tell you that Northiam is world famous because it has a stop on the Kent and East Sussex.

Thanks for the reply. I can see where the confusion is.

It isn't just a stop.

Its the world's oldest continuous working railway. 

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

It isn't just a stop.

There is no confusion. I can use google.

It looks to me like you were trying to show that the appearance on that website showed Hunslet was world famous when, sadly, all that page is is a directory of all preserved railways in this country.

Hunslet is not world famous. Even the Yorkshire Post story about the world's oldest continuous working railway that closes during every winter started the story with a comment about how most people in Leeds would be unaware of the railway's significance.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

It isn't just a stop.

Yes but that was before SL started , so it doesn't count 😉

I haven't been on this thread for a while and so I thought I would skip to the end and see what was still interesting about a fake Savid Argyle Twitter account.

And now the conversation is on Hunslet and the world's oldest continuous working railway.

I am intrigued how it got here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I haven't been on this thread for a while and so I thought I would skip to the end and see what was still interesting about a fake Savid Argyle Twitter account.

And now the conversation is on Hunslet and the world's oldest continuous working railway.

I am intrigued how it got here.

Me too. It's bizarre how sone posters are so adamant that Hunslet isn't famous. 

If York or Toulouse had the world's oldest continuous working railway they would be enthusing about it.🙂

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Its true, there is more manipulation than attendance figures at union games!

Your original comment is an insult to anyone affected by Covid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3