2 Year TV Deal

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In uncertain times I am happy enough with that as it provides some security. 

But let's deliver a massive World Cup, booming crowds next year and have a bit of a bidding war next time round.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

This is apparently worth £25 million a year compared to the previous deal of £40 million a year. What a state Robert Elstone has left the sport in. This is going to significantly hurt club’s financially on top of the pandemic which has left clubs with large government loans that they will be repaying for a long time to come.

Super League will go on of course and it’ll still be great to watch but the gap between Super League and the NRL will now only get bigger. NRL clubs get $13 million a year each from their $2 billion tv deal.

Super League previously got £2 million each from the £40 million deal, how much can Super League clubs expect to each get from the £25 million deal? Championship funding will also be cut down to the barebones, hopefully the meagre amount of funding League One clubs get is continued.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But let's deliver a massive World Cup, booming crowds next year and have a bit of a bidding war next time round.

Indeed, I'm of the opinion that a 2 year extension (or stay of execution if you are so inclined) to really focus minds and build on the legacy of the world cup is a good enough outcome

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, I'm of the opinion that a 2 year extension (or stay of execution if you are so inclined) to really focus minds and build on the legacy of the world cup is a good enough outcome

How can fans be happy with a 30% reduction in tv funding? It shows how little our own fans think of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How can fans be happy with a 30% reduction in tv funding? It shows how little our own fans think of the sport.

The reduction is minimal to Super League and ostensibly the championship etc are fully separated. Equally I've not seen a single example of a league getting more money in the current climate.

Finally - I didn't use "happy". I expected worse, wanted better, and think this is in line with where we are.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s essentially the same or slightly less for Super League but Championship gets sweet #### Adams. They are not part of the deal, no Super 8s, no Bash, no playoffs. 

Sky Sports will continue to show the biggest Betfred Super League games with 66 live matches exclusively per season - including flagship events Dacia Magic Weekend and the Betfred Super League Grand Final.

The new agreement will see Sky Sports have the first pick of games in each of the regular season rounds as well as first pick in each of the Play-Off weeks

The SL quote indicates some games could be picked up after Sky have chosen what they want. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For once we are in agreement Kev, the reduction is a reflection of how the sport is being percieved by the public at large, and even by it's so called 'loyal fan base' in the heartlands. Sky know this, the RFL/SL know this, Mr Elstone knew this, he was not going to get anywhere with Sky I should imagine he had Sky's 'Final Offer' some time ago.

20 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Not sure if you’re aware but there’s a pandemic on, Sky’s revenue has reduced and the economy is a mess. 

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Sky Sports will continue to show the biggest Betfred Super League games with 66 live matches exclusively per season - including flagship events Dacia Magic Weekend and the Betfred Super League Grand Final.

The new agreement will see Sky Sports have the first pick of games in each of the regular season rounds as well as first pick in each of the Play-Off weeks

The SL quote indicates some games could be picked up after Sky have chosen what they want. 

That's how I read it too. Some careful wording in that press release which suggests this doesn't have to be the end of the story.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Also talks about utilising Sky's "FTA" channels. I hope that doesn't mean simulcast on Mix which has hardly been noted as a roaring success. Youtube perhaps?

At worst it could mean a continuation of the OuRLeague stuff.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I expected worse

wanted better,

and think this is in line with where we are.

What was you expecting Tommy?

Did you think that we deserve more?

Is that a wider perception of the game, the financial constraints created by Covid, or Sky moving in other directions now that they are American owned?

Nigel Wood was crucified by the majority at £40 million a year, funny how we don't see the same criticism at £25 million a year. £15 million reduction is a joke, Elstone and SL have a lot to answer as they took control to improve the game and its gone backwards.

So rumour is £25m from Sky. 

Now 66 games is 2 a week. 

I expect BBC to pay £2-3m for a package of 10 games or so. Second pick games so BBC will get games like Castleford v Wigan. 

Sky often don't pick 2 best games, to get a spread of clubs. If these were fixtures on bbc week, I'd expect: 

Leeds v saints (Sky) 

Cas v wigan (BBC) 

Salford v Warrington (Sky) 

Wakefield v hull Kr 

Hull fc v leigh 

Huddersfield v catalans

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is apparently worth £25 million a year compared to the previous deal of £40 million a year. What a state Robert Elstone has left the sport in. This is going to significantly hurt club’s financially on top of the pandemic which has left clubs with large government loans that they will be repaying for a long time to come.

Super League will go on of course and it’ll still be great to watch but the gap between Super League and the NRL will now only get bigger. NRL clubs get $13 million a year each from their $2 billion tv deal.

Super League previously got £2 million each from the £40 million deal, how much can Super League clubs expect to each get from the £25 million deal? Championship funding will also be cut down to the barebones, hopefully the meagre amount of funding League One clubs get is continued.

Apparently less money. 

A chance to blame Elstone for something real or imagined. 

SL falling further behind NRL

Clubs saddled with having to pay back loans. 

Championship cut to the bone. 

A dream come true for at least one poster, eh? 

Getting up to £30m but with Sky relinquishing their exclusivity is not that bad a deal. The ability to take the second or third choice games elsewhere is very significant indeed.

Obviously it's not overall as good as the deal Nigel Wood negotiated but there are some promising things in this.

55 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Far from it my friend.  Consider my state of mind to be pragmatic optimism.

In the last 12 months I have seen a business that I helped to build from £10M to £790M market value see its operating profit fall by over 50% (I left in 2017 so didn't feel the pain personally) and a business that my wife built from scratch fold despite exceeding all of the financial targets before Covid hit (that one I did feel personally as I supported the venture financially but the money is nothing compared to witnessing all of my wife's hard work come to naught).

There is nothing in the Rugby League portfolio that would see potential broadcast partners knocking at our door.  The sport delivers consistent viewing numbers for Sky and it is a club based sport with a loyal but well understood demographic.

That is the pragmatism.  Here is the optimism.  I genuinely feel that if the sports delivers an exceptional World Cup (even better with England success) the benefits to the sport will be massive.  We will see playing numbers, attendances and viewing figures boom and just in time to negotiate our new long term deal.  We will hold the cards rather than the broadcast partner.

I don't think little of our sport... I think it has the potential to be much much more than it is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived