2 Year TV Deal

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah the Sky statement reads they will show 66 games exclusively live per season.

I'm sure we can trust the amazing journalists we have covering the game to interrogate what this means and not just quote snippets of the press release beefed up with their own interpretation passed off as fact.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Sky's statement is pretty clear that this is FTA Sky platforms though.

They're not going to Our League or the BBC. The only question is: is it Mix, Sky One or their YouTube channels?

Could use Challenge TV, that's on Freeview & Freesat platforms and shows some MMA & wrestling.

2 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

A glance at the league table after only 3 games shows its the same old story.Only a handful of clubs have realistic aims of getting to Old Trafford and only 2 any chance of winning it.

Under the present circumstances an acceptable outcome.

So similar to La Liga,the Bundesliga,Scottish Premier and most other European sporting leagues 

56 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Obviously promoting a team with limited time & money and seeing them become the league’s whipping boys wasn’t what Sky had in mind when they asked Superleague to prove itself.

SL making it very difficult for said team to compete would have been a factor also but what contradicts is the viewing figures are massively up, surely this is what is used to sell advertising and gauge subscription value.

Our problem is we are weak, after 25+years we still haven't nurtured mass media relationships - we have no idea what value we bring to Sky, but £30m is 80000 sky sports subscriptions

In the context of what has been going on with TV rights generally in recent years, I think it was pretty much a case of damage limitation in terms of what the game got from Sky. 

I know there is a body of opinion that RL always deserved more from Sky, but none of that actually seemed to be backed up with any real justification, aside from straw-man arguments about what other sports were or weren't getting. I've expressed the view before that I think Super League and the clubs needed to offer much more value to Sky and give them much more to actually buy into if they wanted to increase the value of the TV deal - that hasn't happened and so this is where we are. 

There are a few people mentioning how a successful World Cup could be a springboard and whilst that's true, I'd be cautious of putting all of our eggs in that basket. Partly because there will be the best part of three months between the World Cup final and the first Super League game (plenty of time for people to forget or to get distracted by other things) but mostly because, even if RL can keep up the momentum of a good World Cup, it doesn't change the fact that for most of the country, RL is actually a really difficult product to buy. 

1 minute ago, M j M said:

The "first pick" stuff very much implies the exclusivity has gone. Even for play off games.

How does 66 games compare to the numbers shown in say the 2019 season? It doesn't seem that many.

Previous was 80 apparently, so down by 14. 

Does this mean that they aren't banking on Catalans games from France?

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Will Catalans be a part of SL if they are unable to add value to SKY?

That depends what you determine as "adding value"? Catalans are a competitive club like any other and "add value" to the competition in the same way as the other 11 do, so how do you isolate what value any one club provides? Sky will still broadcast their fixtures in the same way that they broadcast fixtures of other clubs.  It's my speculation that the reduction of 14 games may be due to Sky not being able to bank on a feed coming in from France.  

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do think it is a warning shot across the bows somewhat though. I don't think the game can just plod along for 2 years then go back to Sky and expect that they magically offer more. The game needs to spend that time to improve Super League and make it a more attractive proposition for the next TV deal.

Wasn't that Elstone's remit?

Just now, DoubleD said:

Wasn't that Elstone's remit?

Strictly speaking it was the remit of Elstone plus the 12 Super League clubs. Let's not forget that it was 11 of 12 Super League clubs that insisted that they could do a much better job than the RFL of adding value to the TV deal - they can't just use Elstone as a lightning rod. 

It's not a great deal, but it's certainly not as horrible as some are suggesting.

Firstly, Sky is buying less than previously, with only 66 exclusive games which doesn't even include all Finals matches anymore, so this lowers the amount they would pay. 

Secondly, there is a contractual agreement for Sky to show some games on its FTA channels, which again eats away at the value of the rights to them. Sky keeps RL for Subscriber revenue, not Advertising.

Thirdly, the Championship and League One are no longer included. Whilst these wouldn't be valued highly by Sky, it would have had some contractual value.

All these things would have most likely meant a lower deal anyway pre-COVID.

Now considering that the release reads like Sky has also given up exclusivity is pretty massive for the sport and will hopefully mean that it looks into both finding other revenues and getting more exposure.

Ideally scenario would be getting at least 1 game a week on FTA, and allowing the rest to be sold on OurLeague.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

The way I read it is that the money is exclusively for SL and the Championship and L1 get diddly squat. IF this is the case, and obviously we'll have to wait to get the full picture although I'm not holding my breath waiting for that, then the loss of even the current hand out could be fatal for some clubs, particularly in L1. This might well mean the loss of most of the expansion area clubs.

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Strictly speaking it was the remit of Elstone plus the 12 Super League clubs. Let's not forget that it was 11 of 12 Super League clubs that insisted that they could do a much better job than the RFL of adding value to the TV deal - they can't just use Elstone as a lightning rod. 

Whilst that is true, it was still Elstone's remit and why his much vaunted appointment was heralded. He was publicly very vocal on the value he and his team would bring. 

I must say I am amazed that people seem to be happy with the fact that the powers that be have taken £15m LESS than the current deal.

Now to me that is failure.

And in my opinion it is something that the Super League/RFL should hang their heads in shame over.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Whilst that is true, it was still Elstone's remit and why his much vaunted appointment was heralded. He was publicly very vocal on the value he and his team would bring. 

Yep this was the sole reason Elstone was brought in. He made that clear on a number of occasions. It has to be said he failed spectacularly. 

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sky's statement is pretty clear that this is FTA Sky platforms though.

They're not going to Our League or the BBC. The only question is: is it Mix, Sky One or their YouTube channels?

Maybe I read it wrong, i assumed the Sky FTA would be simulcast.  Do sky hold any Freeview channels?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

The previous deal was 71 Super League games.

So the Catalans games may be added- they don't have tv partner for 2022 onwards. 

5 less games is smaller play off structure. 

Essentially sky will show 2 games a week, including first pick, plus magic. 

Some or all others will be free to air or streamed- that is unknown but will become clearer 

6 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I must say I am amazed that people seem to be happy with the fact that the powers that be have taken £15m LESS than the current deal.

Now to me that is failure.

And in my opinion it is something that the Super League/RFL should hang their heads in shame over.

If the choice was £15M less or £40M less what would you take?

12 of our owners got away with what 12 Football Club owners tried to do recently, 25+ years ago. Theres no JP Morgan & Chase, there's not even a Rupert Murdoch News Ltd behind it......End Super League Europe in the same way European Super League was ended. 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

12 of our owners got away with what 12 Football Club owners tried to do recently, 25+ years ago. Theres no JP Morgan & Chase, there's not even a Rupert Murdoch News Ltd behind it......End Super League Europe in the same way European Super League was ended. 

They really didnt.

Archived