2 Year TV Deal

37 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

A glance at the league table after only 3 games shows its the same old story.Only a handful of clubs have realistic aims of getting to Old Trafford and only 2 any chance of winning it.

Under the present circumstances an acceptable outcome.

It’s no different to most top flight football leagues, Bayern are about to win their ninth in a row, Juventus are about to lose their first in about 8 years, Spain is at best a three horse race, Portugal three also, and Ligue Un is usually a one horse race with this year being an exception. While I agree having more clubs capable of winning is far more interesting, having just two or three doesn’t prevent a thriving competition. 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Previous was 80 apparently, so down by 14. 

Does this mean that they aren't banking on Catalans games from France?

to be a bit of a pedant.. they are saying that they would do 66 game "exclusively live" could this imply that 14 games in france are not "exclusively live" because the French will be showing it and they will be buying the stream from there (even if it is a sky subsidiary)?

No idea, it is just a thought, devil in detail and phraseology etc??

12 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I must say I am amazed that people seem to be happy with the fact that the powers that be have taken £15m LESS than the current deal.

Now to me that is failure.

And in my opinion it is something that the Super League/RFL should hang their heads in shame over.

if it was a complete like for like you may have a point.. if they have got us out of the exclusive arrangement and some other things have been removed then it is not like for like and therefore you cannot easily compare. 

If we can get some more money for more mainstream FTA to broadcast etc then that £15m less starts to come down. Plus the non immediate value of FTA coverage would need to be factored in (which is nigh on impossible) but we all know that FTA coverage can lead to large indirect revenue increases at club level (if the clubs leverage it correctly).

So the headline is a £15m loss but the important stuff is lost in the rush to get a headline.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Maybe I read it wrong, i assumed the Sky FTA would be simulcast.  Do sky hold any Freeview channels?

Sky's freeview channels I believe are Sky News, Sky Arts, Pick TV and Challenge. 

Not really a natural home for SL anywhere there, although the two channels with (very mild) sporting history are Pick TV and Challenge. Pick last year simulcast Premier League coverage when basically they were under pressure to due to Covid restrictions when the season returned last summer. They haven't repeated that trick in the 2021/2022 season I don't think. Challenge as mentioned in this thread has a history showing wrestling and MMA but hasn't done for a long time. I think it has shown a Premier League game in the past, but only as overspill when all the games were on the last day of the season and Sky ran out of channels. 

I think it's probably more likely to be Mix, or YouTube, as I don't think any of the Freeview channels available from Sky fit the bill with what the RFL are looking to achieve. Sky One would actually be a big deal, and whilst not truly Free to Air like the BBC, it would reach a bigger audience than Mix, even though generally Sky One customers will have access to Mix.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

to be a bit of a pedant.. they are saying that they would do 66 game "exclusively live" could this imply that 14 games in france are not "exclusively live" because the French will be showing it and they will be buying the stream from there (even if it is a sky subsidiary)?

I don't think that would be the case, Sky would describe the Catalans games they have now as exclusively live, it think it just means in this country. 

EDIT - In fact the press release on the SL website does say Sky is the broadcast partner for the UK and Ireland

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 minute ago, Amber Avenger said:

I don't think that would be the case, Sky would describe the Catalans games they have now as exclusively live, it think it just means in this country. 

yes i did think that as well.. but was just putting another option out there... have they managed to negotiate so that Catalans can do their own deal, do they need to do that or is there an implied "French deal separate to sky" or were Catalans locked into the sky deal and couldn't negotiate there own? on this board all of those things have been mentioned at one time or another and I am never sure which is correct etc. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

12 of our owners got away with what 12 Football Club owners tried to do recently, 25+ years ago. Theres no JP Morgan & Chase, there's not even a Rupert Murdoch News Ltd behind it......End Super League Europe in the same way European Super League was ended. 

Eh? You're going to have to explain this one....how is it comparable (other than using the same words in a different order)? What structure are you looking for opposed to current one? 

Ken Davy speaks! https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/12289100/sky-sports-extends-super-league-tv-deal

The interesting bit about this deal is that Sky will film all matches from next year that will allow for FTA broadcasts and streaming (aside from the 66 games on Sky Sports). 

Doesn't sound like Sky is giving up exclusivity, to be honest, but we seem to be heading towards a situation where RL fans will be able to watch every Super League game live. Progress. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Ken Davy speaks! https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/12289100/sky-sports-extends-super-league-tv-deal

The interesting bit about this deal is that Sky will film all matches from next year that will allow for FTA broadcasts and streaming (aside from the 66 games on Sky Sports). 

Doesn't sound like Sky is giving up exclusivity, to be honest, but we seem to be heading towards a situation where RL fans will be able to watch every Super League game live. Progress. 

Maybe Sky will have a quid or 2 for every £4.95 sale. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What was you expecting Tommy?

Did you think that we deserve more?

Is that a wider perception of the game, the financial constraints created by Covid, or Sky moving in other directions now that they are American owned?

Expecting around 20 to 25, so 25 to 30 is better than I was expecting.

Deserve more is a difficult point, as naturally I think RL players deserve more pay as do lots of people for doing the job they do.

As I put in another post, this puts us roughly in line with the most recent Scottish premiership deal, which is a competition that Super League, in its current guise, is probably a rough equivalent to. I think its a good thing from Sky that they've not swung the axe to the £20million mark, but the 2 season deal shows that the game is in a "prove it" arrangement imo.

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Maybe Sky will have a quid or 2 for every £4.95 sale. 

Perhaps Sky will sell a new sort of Super League package. Maybe a hybrid of satellite and streaming, or (if you're a Sky Sports subscriber via Now TV, like me) a digital-only Super League package. Like Watch NRL, with all games live.

I'd be well up for that.

23 minutes ago, RP London said:

Like I say, it was entirely my speculation to suggest that Catalans games in France could explain the increase. 

Just as possible is that the reduction is reflective of an altered competition structure. 😄

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Perhaps Sky will sell a new sort of Super League package. Maybe a hybrid of satellite and streaming, or (if you're a Sky Sports subscriber via Now TV, like me) a digital-only Super League package. Like Watch NRL, with all games live.

I'd be well up for that.

Should partner 50/50 with Our League like the foxtel & ARLC partnership with Watch NRL.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I agree. If this deal allows Super League to move towards developing OurLeague into an NRL Watch / NFL Gamepass-style platform, it's a great move. 

23 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Elstone was on a reported £400k per year. Do you honestly think that he got the best deal possible? 

400k a year and yet he lives in some people's heads rent free.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sky filming all the games is superb news as it means we'll have decent footage from every game.

The devil now really is in the detail about what is happening with regards to 'FTA' and other digital platforms.

With the RFL now having the digital rights to the Challenge Cup we should (note: should) be in a very good position with regards to streaming and social media.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How can fans be happy with a 30% reduction in tv funding? It shows how little our own fans think of the sport.

Yes I am outraged 

My Sky sports was a tenner month extra just a bit over a decade ago

It now costs about £25

Wherr is this extra money going? 

I may ditch SKY. I can just watch SL show and attend live games for Broncos/the odd SL game then use WatchNRL app

Our League and YouTube will never attract new fans, it’s people channel hopping and landing on RL that will do that, being on some inane freeview channel like Challenge or Pick TV would be preferable to Sky’s YouTube channel imho. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Our League is clunky and doesn't have an Apple TV etc app. Super League can do better.

In fairness, OurLeague was never really designed for what it is currently being asked to do. It's main remit was mostly around club membership and keeping audiences engaged with the game at all levels and I think the RFL has done a good job in bodging it, at fairly short notice, into a fairly decent streaming platform. 

If you were building an RL streaming platform from the ground up, it wouldn't look like OurLeague. Now that it seems like there is a drive towards more digital content, it's a good opportunity to turn it into what it ideally should be. 

Just now, gingerjon said:

Sky filming all the games is superb news as it means we'll have decent footage from every game.

The devil now really is in the detail about what is happening with regards to 'FTA' and other digital platforms.

With the RFL now having the digital rights to the Challenge Cup we should (note: should) be in a very good position with regards to streaming and social media.

Yes, the RFL and Super League aren't quite as stupid as some make out.

OuRLeague has turned to be a very wise move and, from this deal, it seems Super League knows what it's doing re: the inevitability of digital/streaming. 

Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

In fairness, OurLeague was never really designed for what it is currently being asked to do. It's main remit was mostly around club membership and keeping audiences engaged with the game at all levels and I think the RFL has done a good job in bodging it, at fairly short notice, into a fairly decent streaming platform. 

If you were building an RL streaming platform from the ground up, it wouldn't look like OurLeague. Now that it seems like there is a drive towards more digital content, it's a good opportunity to turn it into what it ideally should be. 

Sure but my point is I wouldn't want to consume Super League via OuRLeague as it is presently constituted. We can do better than that.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Our League and YouTube will never attract new fans

OurLeague will reinforce and support the commitment of existing fans and people who come to the game in other ways.

YouTube - and other social media and streaming - absolutely is a way of attracting new fans.

Also, it's not either/or. There will be an equal amount, and possibly more, opportunities for the casual viewer you describe.

Archived