2 Year TV Deal

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure but my point is I wouldn't want to consume Super League via OuRLeague as it is presently constituted. We can do better than that.

This may be where the partnership(s) with Iqoniq come into play?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, RP London said:

if it was a complete like for like you may have a point.. if they have got us out of the exclusive arrangement and some other things have been removed then it is not like for like and therefore you cannot easily compare. 

If we can get some more money for more mainstream FTA to broadcast etc then that £15m less starts to come down. Plus the non immediate value of FTA coverage would need to be factored in (which is nigh on impossible) but we all know that FTA coverage can lead to large indirect revenue increases at club level (if the clubs leverage it correctly).

So the headline is a £15m loss but the important stuff is lost in the rush to get a headline.

This is it - the devil will be in the detail.

It is misleading to compare the £40m to £xm this time. It would look like this doesn't include exclusivity and Challenge Cup, which the previous £40m did. Sky Try was also included in that number, although that was just Wood doing a good job in ring-fencing development funds. 

But if we did get £30m from Sky (top-end estimates), plus maybe sell on the Cup rights to a secondary broadcaster instead of Sky, plus sell on more SL games to another provider, plus monetise the Championship (hopefully the Grand Final will be out of the Sky deal) - plus attracting funding to replace Sky Try - and we start to close the gap on what we previously had. 

It should also be remembered that most rights have seen a decline, and we know that we were paid a premium last time as part of a major campaign to secure Sky Sports deals.

Context is important here. The last deal was a complex beast, this now brings us back to a more 'standard' deal, and maybe a decent starting point for future deals that could benefit the game i.e. the freedom to sell some more content on.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

OurLeague will reinforce and support the commitment of existing fans and people who come to the game in other ways.

YouTube - and other social media and streaming - absolutely is a way of attracting new fans.

Also, it's not either/or. There will be an equal amount, and possibly more, opportunities for the casual viewer you describe.

Yes. I don't imagine there are many twenty-somethings flicking through channels 30+ of Sky/Freeview on the off chance there is a new sport they might like.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is it - the devil will be in the detail.

It is misleading to compare the £40m to £xm this time. It would look like this doesn't include exclusivity and Challenge Cup, which the previous £40m did. Sky Try was also included in that number, although that was just Wood doing a good job in ring-fencing development funds. 

But if we did get £30m from Sky (top-end estimates), plus maybe sell on the Cup rights to a secondary broadcaster instead of Sky, plus sell on more SL games to another provider, plus monetise the Championship (hopefully the Grand Final will be out of the Sky deal) - plus attracting funding to replace Sky Try - and we start to close the gap on what we previously had. 

It should also be remembered that most rights have seen a decline, and we know that we were paid a premium last time as part of a major campaign to secure Sky Sports deals.

Context is important here. The last deal was a complex beast, this now brings us back to a more 'standard' deal, and maybe a decent starting point for future deals that could benefit the game i.e. the freedom to sell some more content on.

Although a reduction isn't ideal, disentangling some of this stuff does provide an opportunity to diversify revenue streams away from Sky and reduce the games dependency. Whether the game can take advantage of that opportunity is a different matter.

Just now, Damien said:

Although a reduction isn't ideal, disentangling some of this stuff does provide an opportunity to diversify revenue streams away from Sky and reduce the games dependency. Whether the game can take advantage of that opportunity is a different matter.

I'm a fan of simplifying it and then adding value to each component instead of throwing everything in to add perceived value!

Some of the wording in the release is odd. The word 'exclusively' is used a lot and is misleading as it suggests that only Sky will show the SL.

But the fact that they say Sky Sports will get the first pick is interesting - and what I find particularly interesting is that it says they will have first pick of Playoffs, suggesting that they will no longer be showing every game of the playoffs. 

I really hope this isn't an OurLeague thing - it would be very, very good if another major platform picked up some live SL content for the first time in its history.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm a fan of simplifying it and then adding value to each component instead of throwing everything in to add perceived value!

Yes the last deal in particular was never really clear, it still isn't, and seemed to include an awful lot of vagueness and extras to be able to claim £200 million over 5 years.

We all know the wording so I'll not rehash it again,  but I'm guessing Sky will have first two picks, then Our League will have a pick or two or even three for streaming   then lastly what's left on Sky Mix or Pick.

So Sky has exclusivity for subscription paying customers on TV then have no say on what ends up on FTA Sky, that's up to Our League/ SL in conjunction. 

I have always contended that it is a quick, easy fix to watch the game from the comfort of your home. 

There is a real loss of revenue by over saturation of our great sport, so much so that I would estimate some super league clubs are losing up to 5000 fans per home game. L? (not all.... Some) 

Go with me on this 

So we are potentially losing revenue by supporters sitting at home and all that the sky deal does is replace that loss, and I would contend we are not really any better off by agreeing to a deal with sky. 

Market forces also mean that other competitions such as super rugby have endured the loss also so is a TV deal really as significant as some people are saying. 

I was reading about Penrith rugby league club just two days ago. Their off field operations and business model is immense and so for me relying on a paltry 1.8 million to control and dominate the game is crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

On the other hand, maybe it isn’t exclusively exclusive. Usual Gledhill caveat applies 

If true, and if we can get FTA for those games on a terrestrial channel, then the TV deal takes on a whole new light and seems pretty good.

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Or choosing a random app. 

In the case of YouTube, an app so random that over 2 billion people use it every month.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Our League is clunky and doesn't have an Apple TV etc app. Super League can do better.

It's doubtful SL can do better, based on their website effort. Yeah you are right, why wouldn't you continue the development of something that has already had investment in it? 

I don't see why it has to be terrestrial, although I wouldn't be sad if it was. I find it hard to believe the BBC would be interested: they show the Challenge Cup and most internationals, which compares well with any other sport you could name as a BBC offering (ok, I will give you snooker and Wimbledon).

People's viewing habits have changed a lot. I think an ambitious new player like Amazon could expose our game to a younger audience and freshen up the presentation too. Not sure if this deal allows for that, but I don't think the terrestrial thing is THAT important in attracting new supporters nowadays.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I find it great. Stream to telly via Chromecast

Naw, not got the ground work in place, not got the potential for further development and further investment.....better to write that project off and that money off.....start from scratch......

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's doubtful SL can do better, based on their website effort. Yeah you are right, why wouldn't you continue the development of something that has already had investment in it? 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Naw, not got the ground work in place, not got the potential for further development and further investment.....better to write that project off and that money off.....start from scratch......

Guess I've got higher standards than you, sorry! 

I'm not saying chuck OuRLeague in the bin but if Super League is going down the Watch NRL road, it needs to be more user-friendly to watch on a TV. 

Archived