2 Year TV Deal

Super League clubs will retain most of their current funding they only get £30m of the £40m whereas they will get everything from the new deal.

This is for less games 66 instead of 80 and it looks like it will be possible for other games to be offered to other broadcasters.

With sports rights across the board going down this isn't such a bad deal really.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Guess I've got higher standards than you, sorry! 

I'm not saying chuck OuRLeague in the bin but if Super League is going down the Watch NRL road, it needs to be more user-friendly to watch on a TV. 

Yeah you must have 👏 sound. 

I find the news of a lack of exclusivity in this deal the most exciting part. This is what we've wanted for ages (well, me anyway). And presents us with a great opportunity.

I hope we don't end up showing the remaining games on Ourleague or youtube, and that we can interest a terrestrial TV broadcaster, whoever that might be, whether it be the BBC (Red button guaranteed), Channel 4 or Channel 5. Or even Amazon Prime, although they are obviously another subscription based broadcaster.

It's possible any deal could be packaged to include championship games as extra content too.

I think i read in the press release that the SKY deal was for broadcast in the UK and Ireland, so maybe the possibility of attracting further interest from European broadcasters also.

We (ie RFL/SL) have an element of greater control now (if we have indeed been relieved of the exclusivity of SKY), and its up to us (again - RFL/SL) to exploit it.

A positive outcome IMO.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

34 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

We all know the wording so I'll not rehash it again,  but I'm guessing Sky will have first two picks, then Our League will have a pick or two or even three for streaming   then lastly what's left on Sky Mix or Pick.

So Sky has exclusivity for subscription paying customers on TV then have no say on what ends up on FTA Sky, that's up to Our League/ SL in conjunction. 

Too much common sense. 

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I find the news of a lack of exclusivity in this deal the most exciting part. This is what we've wanted for ages (well, me anyway). And presents us with a great opportunity.

I hope we don't end up showing the remaining games on Ourleague or youtube, and that we can interest a terrestrial TV broadcaster, whoever that might be, whether it be the BBC (Red button guaranteed), Channel 4 or Channel 5. Or even Amazon Prime, although they are obviously another subscription based broadcaster.

It's possible any deal could be packaged to include championship games as extra content too.

We (ie RFL/SL) have an element of greater control now (if we have indeed been relieved of the exclusivity of SKY), and its up to us (again - RFL/SL) to exploit it.

A positive outcome IMO.

If it's correct that there's no Sky exclusivity and in addition their team are filming every single game for the league to sell that to me is a really positive outcome.

Obviously the headline figure is reduced and something needs to be worked out with the Championship but from an SL only perspective they've not lost an awful lot in income but gained an ability to sell and promote the game to a wider audience.

It's going to be a million times easier to sell to say ITV, C4 or C5 something that is already being filmed and they can just throw a bit of presentation around. Makes it very low cost and low risk for them and we get the benefits of exposure without really giving anything up. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

However, The Yorkshire Post also understands that Super League will be free to air a set number of games - possibly as many as ten - on terrestrial television.

In what would be a significant boost in making rugby league more accessible and reaching greater audiences, it is planned that certain games will be broadcast at 3pm on Saturday afternoons, which would help augment the BBC’s ongoing coverage of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/exclusive-bbc-to-show-live-betfred-super-league-games-from-next-year-3217039

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

In the case of YouTube, an app so random that over 2 billion people use it every month.

They don’t use it to find sports that they’ve never watched though. Or is YouTube where you get your weekly Swedish Ice Hockey and Kabaddi fix?

7 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It's going to be a million times easier to sell to say ITV, C4 or C5 something that is already being filmed and they can just throw a bit of presentation around. Makes it very low cost and low risk for them and we get the benefits of exposure without really giving anything up. 

An arrangement like that would be pretty groundbreaking in this country - I can't think of any other sport (in the UK) that has this kind of set up in place.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They don’t use it to find sports that they’ve never watched though. Or is YouTube where you get your weekly Swedish Ice Hockey and Kabaddi fix?

I've had recommendations come up of livestreams of sports and events that I've not watched before on YouTube, presumably because the algorithm has noticed that I am quite partial to sports and events livestreams.

And that's before you get to using other social media to drive viewers onto livestreams as they are happening on the open platform that is YouTube.

(Not saying this would be the answer to anyone's prayers just that if you have a fixed idea of YouTube - or any equivalent - as being "go to the site only when you know exactly and specifically what you're going to do" then that's not how it works)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

An arrangement like that would be pretty groundbreaking in this country - I can't think of any other sport (in the UK) that has this kind of set up in place.

I'd have to go and check the details but it's now sounding a lot more like the deal the women's (football) Super League signed a few weeks back: all games filmed, Sky take the key picks, one/some of the rest on the BBC.

It would be a triumph to get back to having RL on the BBC regularly. We used to have 12? games in 2 cups, plus at least 3 internationals on the BBC, and that exposure over months lead to our players becoming much better known. We have fewer rounds of our flag ship event, and have a double header semi final (idiots), so vastly reducing the number of week ends we are on terrestrial TV. 

31 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's doubtful SL can do better, based on their website effort. Yeah you are right, why wouldn't you continue the development of something that has already had investment in it? 

I'll be honest, I've not been on the Super League website and it's far from "Super". 

To get it to a very high standard will require a considerable investment, from a design, development and content point of view. 

With the "content" aspect being the long term cost - but that literally will tie in with their wider online strategy. 

No doubt when it was scoped and built they will have spent around 100k doing it - for that, I would expect a much better quality. 

For instance the very first news item is the try of the month, when you click on the image it takes you to a 404 page - that is basic as they come. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

In terms of Sky doing the camera work for all games - who does that at the moment, for the highlights etc? Whilst it's good to hear they're committing to that I have reservations that this is 'one man and his camera' type filming that we know already happens. Sky do this for their under the 'red button' EFL games and whilst it's great that you get to watch a lot more of your team's games, it's pretty dreadful as a visual spectacle - no replays or alternative camera angles. 

Hope i'm wrong with this but I'm struggling to believe Sky are going to put all their broadcasting efforts into all games, 4 of which won't even been shown on their platform(s). 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

In terms of Sky doing the camera work for all games - who does that at the moment, for the highlights etc? Whilst it's good to hear they're committing to that I have reservations that this is 'one man and his camera' type filming that we know already happens. Sky do this for their under the 'red button' EFL games and whilst it's great that you get to watch a lot more of your team's games, it's pretty dreadful as a visual spectacle - no replays or alternative camera angles. 

Hope i'm wrong with this but I'm struggling to believe Sky are going to put all their broadcasting efforts into all games, 4 of which won't even been shown on their platform(s). 

It maybe that the RFL have asked for production services, and that has taken a chunk of cash of the rights

Is there any confirmation that all games will have a Sky production? It seems a really odd thing for Sky to agree to and not increase their number of games. That is worth an awful lot of money.

The only thing I could think is if it then becomes a Joint Venture where they get a share of the money for any other coverage sold on.

Are there any examples of Sky offering this service anywhere else?

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It maybe that the RFL have asked for production services, and that has taken a chunk of cash of the rights

So nobody really know 

A How much the deal is worth 

B How much the championship deal will be worth 

C How much showing games in other networks or platforms will be worth 

Seems about right 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Is there any confirmation that all games will have a Sky production? It seems a really odd thing for Sky to agree to and not increase their number of games. That is worth an awful lot of money.

The only thing I could think is if it then becomes a Joint Venture where they get a share of the money for any other coverage sold on.

Are there any examples of Sky offering this service anywhere else?

Ken Davey said it in an interview with Sky Sports News.  "Sky Cameras at every game"

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Ken Davey said it in an interview with Sky Sports News.  "Sky Cameras at every game"

Yeah, that was the mention I saw referred to here, but its odd it isn't mentioned in any press release from either Sky or Super League.

Hopefully more detail will be forthcoming.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, that was the mention I saw referred to here, but its odd it isn't mentioned in any press release from either Sky or Super League.

Hopefully more detail will be forthcoming.

If he's got that wrong, I worry about his appointment as SL Chairman

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You could be right - but then this surely bumps up the price quite a bit for any other broadcasters to purchase and as I mentioned before, it would be groundbreaking if this happens, as nobody is currently doing that. 

Archived