2 Year TV Deal

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Most broadcasters don’t miss the opportunity to promote their future programming or successes.

Then in the words of the Aussie holiday advert " Where the Bloody hell are they?"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

If Sky is going to have cameras at every game, then arguably they may actually broadcast more than just the 66 games listed in the Press Release.

The wording very specifically states that those 66 will be 'exclusive' to Sky, but potentially those extra '20' up for re-sale, may also be simulcasted on Sky and BBC / Our League / etc.

That said, that still leaves another 90 odd games which unless OurLeague can take, would be a bit weird for Sky to film, unless the plan is to sell that extra content to Fox League and Sky in NZ.

Let's say 2 or 3 games are shown on Our League. 

Sky can easily do a 4 to 6 camera job, and saves Our League doing production so a non monetary benefit. 

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Might as well confirm it now that the Yorkshire Post have let the cat out of the bag.

Press releases are co-ordinated. SLE wouldn't arrange a release about a BBC TV deal (if there is one) on the same day as the Sky Sports TV deal.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bit pointless now Dave seeing as the Yorkshire Post have told everybody.

Press releases don't have to be surprises. We've known for months that a new Sky deal was coming.

Just now, Smudger06 said:

Win win 4 Sky anyway, can use pitch side LED to advertise Sky Sports & Now TV on the beeb FTA in slots where normally no football is allowed......

& Win win for the beeb if they are picking up free Live sports content from Sky.

Am I correct in thinking this deal excludes Challenge Cup and Internationals? Previous deal I think valued this at £4m per year, with a further £3.6m going to Sky Try.

I assume there could be a further deal with Sky therefore - assuming they were interested - for international rights and challenge cup? These rights however would be distributed via the RFL I suppose?

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure we can trust the amazing journalists we have covering the game to interrogate what this means and not just quote snippets of the press release beefed up with their own interpretation passed off as fact.

Or "journalists" making up things to please their audience who want to believe fantasies.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Our League and YouTube will never attract new fans, it’s people channel hopping and landing on RL that will do that, being on some inane freeview channel like Challenge or Pick TV would be preferable to Sky’s YouTube channel imho. 

YouTube could, as could Twitch. More so than hidden  behind a pay wall.

Not saying they will, but could.

29 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Am I correct in thinking this deal excludes Challenge Cup and Internationals? Previous deal I think valued this at £4m per year, with a further £3.6m going to Sky Try.

I assume there could be a further deal with Sky therefore - assuming they were interested - for international rights and challenge cup? These rights however would be distributed via the RFL I suppose?

Challenge Cup deal has already been agreed with the BBC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure losing 15 mil is a good deal but it does present some opportunities in terms of commercial and sponsorship. 

If we are going FTA perfect time to get up to 14 teams so clubs like York London or Newcastle could exploit the FTA opportunities Bbc cov would give them. 

But its not £15 million like for like.

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Challenge Cup deal has already been agreed with the BBC.

There has always been a BBC deal for the Challenge Cup, but last time Sky bought the rights to that coverage also - which they could do again I presume.

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

The promotion of Leigh whipping boys or otherwise has nothing to do with this contract

I don't know about the timeline, but I think the fact that the League remains with only 1 French team meant there was no chance of a second (parallel) broadcast deal for France. If Toulouse and Les Dracs were both in, a second broadcaster may have been enticed to enter, supplementing the deal, and meaning there was more cash available for the 10 remaining English clubs.

I stress "may" as I am sure negotiations were ongoing for some time, however Elstone clearly said that the 12th club would be the one that made most sense commercially, and then the members voted to have Leigh. 

7 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How can fans be happy with a 30% reduction in tv funding? It shows how little our own fans think of the sport.

You are talking rubbish.  All the football deals were cut back after the bonanza year.  And much of that 40 million went to the RFL, not to SL.

I don't want to P*** on anybody's parade, but two thing about the announcement strike me as strange, a) the deal gives Sky first pick of games in the regular season, against who? b) Our partnership has seen record viewing figures recently. Because no-one can attend games in real life you idiots.

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ok but we are still down 15 mil.  Lets hope with extra games on FTA we can start to claw back the difference. 

If  we get games on FTA the Sponsorship revenue that clubs could get would increase, exposure increases, player recognition increases etc, and its not all about Money. the BBC do not have a lot of live sport to bast about these days getting SL games on there would be a big thing and not as I say just in monetary terms.

As for the 15 million quid, how many sports are getting increases in revenue from new TV deals?

Archived