2 Year TV Deal

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

However the press association also dampens the "other broadcaster" theory

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/betfred-super-league-tv-rights-sky-sports-rights-2021-23

That report doesn't even mention it.

So we have one report saying there's no news on it yet, another saying it'll be the BBC, and then some just reporting on the Sky/SL press release.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I don't know about the timeline, but I think the fact that the League remains with only 1 French team meant there was no chance of a second (parallel) broadcast deal for France. If Toulouse and Les Dracs were both in, a second broadcaster may have been enticed to enter, supplementing the deal, and meaning there was more cash available for the 10 remaining English clubs.

I stress "may" as I am sure negotiations were ongoing for some time, however Elstone clearly said that the 12th club would be the one that made most sense commercially, and then the members voted to have Leigh. 

Sky will hardly have noticed any jiggery pokery by RL, their whole reasoning will be commercial and in-house economics.

For Sky Leigh would be no more & no less important than Toulouse.

The reasoning behind the SL voting Leigh in had much the same look as Sky decision making processes.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Indeed. I agree.

My point though, was that a second French team could have led to an additional (French) broadcaster coming on board, paying for French TV coverage. With only Catalans in the League, this is much less likely.

And I think you're correct, the chances would have been greater, if nothing else. If the top 3 french sides were in we could stop the silly extra matches that are so commercially beneficial.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

53 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Gary Carter reporting there will be six cameras at each game next year as part of the deal. Finally we are moving into the 21st century.

Also, this will mean video referees at each match.

Some good detail in this https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14789482/video-refs-to-be-at-all-super-league-matches-after-new-sky-tv-deal-announced/amp/

BT plc is putting BT Sport up for sale, it was reported last night, so they were unlikely to enter a bidding war for rights for any sport at this time. 

In two years time, when the pay TV sector has consolidated, then we can test the market again and see what's possible. 

56 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

BT plc is putting BT Sport up for sale, it was reported last night, so they were unlikely to enter a bidding war for rights for any sport at this time. 

In two years time, when the pay TV sector has consolidated, then we can test the market again and see what's possible. 

That's really interesting.

Who could realistically bid for it? beIN? ESPN? DAZN?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

When I worked at Vodafone they trialled a TV service, was binned about 8 months into the trial (I’ve still got the box somewhere) im wondering if they’ll try and get back in the market this way. Pure speculation of course

We’re assuming Sky will be blocked of course

Reading between the lines it's expected RFL will tender 10 live matches (some second pick) and highlights to a FTA broadcaster. BBC expected to win. 

Probably average of around 3 live games a week on TV (2 on sky plus catalans home on sky or Free to air game likely on BBC) 

Other 2 or 3 on our league. 

With our league, I'd have thought sensible to offer games to season ticket holders who can't attend but you'll need to charge £10 plus for individual games to not deter crowds. 

Having slept on it, I think this is a pretty good deal. Quite an exciting one, in fact.

Sky were probably always likely to cut the overall spend even before Covid (hence the RFL/SL ‘split’) but in return Super League has negotiated concessions on exclusivity and coverage.

In return for lower funding, Super League can sell packages to different broadcasters, it will have non-Sky free to air coverage, and from next year will be able to show all games live with  TV broadcast quality production & video refs. 

The tricky bit is the Championship and how much money SL gives it, and what that means for the structure of the pro/semi pro game. 

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Its interesting because the whole model seems to rest on getting business from the rest of the BT empire. Without that propping up BT Sports and adding subscribers I don't really see how it can be anymore successful than it currently is, which isn't particularly so as it is

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Bit unfair. They were all over the Rob Burrow story.

I'm sure they'd promote live Super League games at 3pm on a Saturday. Why wouldn't they?

They've been showing the CC games for as long as I can remember and they barely promote them, so why would them showing SL be any different ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

BBC have 30% more viewers than ITV. I think that’s significant enough. Lump in Sky v BT it’ll be a hell of a lot more. 

They can have a billion more viewers, but its completely academic how many they have if they don't promote the sport.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

They can have a billion more viewers, but its completely academic how many they have if they don't promote the sport.

ITV could promote it to their teeth, but still get less viewers as their reach is lower - is that what you want?

43 minutes ago, Spidey said:

ITV could promote it to their teeth, but still get less viewers as their reach is lower - is that what you want?

In the good golden days we had Granada and Yorkshire TV and decades ago we had Bill Fallowfield as who commentated.  They might have had an interest, but it's national ITV now.   

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

How many times have rugby league rights - be that Super League, Championship, NRL, internationals, World Cup - become available in the past 20 years? And in that time how many times have the BBC bid and shown rugby league and how many times have ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, QVC or the Weather Channel?

2 minutes ago, cookey said:

Seems DAZN may be taking boxing away from Sky Sports,if so it may open oppourtunities,with either Sky or DAZN.

Really? I know DAZN seems to do the Sky Box Office stuff for everywhere else in the world but Sky have platform already set up in the UK and a seemingly positive relationship with Matchroom?

That is what is being reported. Apparently good news for Matchroom and the boxers,not necessarilly good news for boxing. Apparently the Sky boxing contract with Matchroom ends in a few months. May be negotiations,who knows.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Really? I know DAZN seems to do the Sky Box Office stuff for everywhere else in the world but Sky have platform already set up in the UK and a seemingly positive relationship with Matchroom?

Archived