2 Year TV Deal

36 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

All fair points.  For my favourite, I  the pre SL Sky era, I preferred Sunday PM and it was I think the favoured choice mostly.

Scheduling now seems a dogs breakfast.  If it's suggested that 6 games a weekend are to be put on TV, then I think attendances will disappear.

I'm not sure if it will affect attendances too much. In fact, if the game can raise its profile by being on TV more then it could actually have a positive effect on attendances in the long run 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Have you tried bringing bribes or emotional blackmail (for league that is) 

Ha, I've tried it all. Just going to have to try and find someone else to live through 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Have you seen the state of nrl crowds?

Have you seen AFL crowds, or NFL crowds, or Bundesliga crowds, or Premier League crowds, etc? All these league broadcast all their games and have large crowds and terrific atmosphere. There is a clear distinction between watching on TV and watching in person.

NRLs attendance issues seems more to do with the Rugby League fan culture in Australia than it does with all 8 being on TV (especially when 5 are on subscription TV that most dont have I believe).

15 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Have you seen AFL crowds, or NFL crowds, or Bundesliga crowds, or Premier League crowds, etc? All these league broadcast all their games and have large crowds and terrific atmosphere. There is a clear distinction between watching on TV and watching in person.

NRLs attendance issues seems more to do with the Rugby League fan culture in Australia than it does with all 8 being on TV (especially when 5 are on subscription TV that most dont have I believe).

Premier League ( FL Division one ) , Bundersliga ( only formed in 1963 , and tickets are very cheap compared to the UK ) were already selling full houses long before they started being televised live , so which SL teams sell out every week ?

55 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Premier League ( FL Division one ) , Bundersliga ( only formed in 1963 , and tickets are very cheap compared to the UK ) were already selling full houses long before they started being televised live , so which SL teams sell out every week ?

If the Super Leagues attendance is going to be affected by showing all 6 matches live, then that sounds like an issue of rugby league fan cultur in much of the way it is in Australia or the games overall health as a whole, but for the vast majority of leagues across the world televising the game hasn't been the negative that many thought it would be, hell people thought radio in the 1930s and 40s would deter match attendances.

Going to a game is always going to be a unique experience that cant be replicated by sitting on ones couch.

6 minutes ago, emesssea said:

If the Super Leagues attendance is going to be affected by showing all 6 matches live, then that sounds like an issue of rugby league fan cultur in much of the way it is in Australia or the games overall health as a whole, but for the vast majority of leagues across the world televising the game hasn't been the negative that many thought it would be, hell people thought radio in the 1930s and 40s would deter match attendances.

Going to a game is always going to be a unique experience that cant be replicated by sitting on ones couch.

#Sofa

😉

5 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Indeed , however you quote ' the vast majority of leagues across the world ' , are sports that are ' top dog ' in their respective countries , RL isn't top dog anywhere other than Australia , RL in the UK needs to find the right balance 

1 hour ago, emesssea said:

This underscores the importance of making sure that the live audience at the stadium has a great time at the match and wants to come back for more of that, which is what Toronto did at Lamport Stadium.  Then the match is a not-to-be-missed event for those able to be there in person and that in turn creates a good atmosphere which comes across on TV to those who can't be there in person.

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

This underscores the importance of making sure that the live audience at the stadium has a great time at the match and wants to come back for more of that, which is what Toronto did at Lamport Stadium.  Then the match is a not-to-be-missed event for those able to be there in person and that in turn creates a good atmosphere which comes across on TV to those who can't be there in person.

So free/cheap tickets , no roof , and a beer festival ? , Not forgetting winning 90% of your games ? , Sounds easy enough 🤔

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So free/cheap tickets , no roof , and a beer festival ? , Not forgetting winning 90% of your games ? , Sounds easy enough 🤔

I dare say that the beer garden was a big part of their success.  They were after all presenting a sport previously unknown to all Torontonians who aren't expats from places where RL is known and appreciated, which in its current incarnation moves (in my opinion at least) too fast for newcomers to follow easily and which allows teams to advance the ball down the field easily too.

Either of those could put off North Americans who pretty much all grew up being exposed to a similar sport where there's pretty much no such thing as easy yards (gridiron), but anyone who found the game either too fast to follow or were put off by the dull repetitive play seen in the modern game could still have a blast down in the beer garden.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

This is something the super league clubs really need massive improvement.

It will be interesting to see how Hull KR get on with their festival type offering. 

48 minutes ago, Southerner said:

This is something the super league clubs really need massive improvement.

It will be interesting to see how Hull KR get on with their festival type offering. 

I remember the Bulls putting a lot of focus on their full match day experience. Their crowds grew a lot. Being on TV didn't effect that. They were the benchmark at that time. That's being said begrudgingly from a Fax fan!

17 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I remember the Bulls putting a lot of focus on their full match day experience. Their crowds grew a lot. Being on TV didn't effect that. They were the benchmark at that time. That's being said begrudgingly from a Fax fan!

What happened?

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

And again , this was also on the back of a title/cup winning team and included ( only what I've been told ) many cheap ticket offers , which ultimately resulted in the Bulls financial issues of recent years 

So how does everybody ' win ' and lose money but still survive ? , Sorry the ' Bullmania ' argument doesn't work 

All this ' match experience ' stuff really isn't the answer , we are not American , our sporting culture is different 

13 hours ago, emesssea said:

Premier League does not broadcast all their games. 

It isn't really a thing that happens in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And again , this was also on the back of a title/cup winning team and included ( only what I've been told ) many cheap ticket offers , which ultimately resulted in the Bulls financial issues of recent years 

So how does everybody ' win ' and lose money but still survive ? , Sorry the ' Bullmania ' argument doesn't work 

All this ' match experience ' stuff really isn't the answer , we are not American , our sporting culture is different 

I don't agree with your last line at all. Our match experience doesn't need to be American in style. 

But food and drink areas and fanzones have been very popular at sports and other major events for a fair while now. Interestingly we were first with some of this and have then gone backwards. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't agree with your last line at all. Our match experience doesn't need to be American in style. 

But food and drink areas and fanzones have been very popular at sports and other major events for a fair while now. Interestingly we were first with some of this and have then gone backwards. 

Dave , I'm not saying some clubs couldn't do more , but as we know , some can't due to stadium constraints , has not doing ' experience ' stuff restricted football attendances ? 

Yes if it's an all day cricket match , or even a 100 ball event which can last 4 hours then you need other stuff , but we have a 2 hour game , people already have their favourite watering holes pre and post match , there's no way you're going to change that culture ,chuck in the potential for bad weather ( I'll guarantee if Leigh do something outside the LSV , it will rain , and they aren't allowed to sell alcohol outside on the site due to having a pub on the site ) 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Dave , I'm not saying some clubs couldn't do more , but as we know , some can't due to stadium constraints , has not doing ' experience ' stuff restricted football attendances ? 

Yes if it's an all day cricket match , or even a 100 ball event which can last 4 hours then you need other stuff , but we have a 2 hour game , people already have their favourite watering holes pre and post match , there's no way you're going to change that culture ,chuck in the potential for bad weather ( I'll guarantee if Leigh do something outside the LSV , it will rain , and they aren't allowed to sell alcohol outside on the site due to having a pub on the site ) 

But people have changed their culture when these things have been put on. 

But it isn't just about those couple of things, it is about putting the best event on we can, if clubs don't have outside space, then they can't put on fan villages. Each experience can be unique and tailored to circumstances. 

But people have come to expect a little more than opening the turnstiles and putting on game of Rugby. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But people have changed their culture when these things have been put on. 

But it isn't just about those couple of things, it is about putting the best event on we can, if clubs don't have outside space, then they can't put on fan villages. Each experience can be unique and tailored to circumstances. 

But people have come to expect a little more than opening the turnstiles and putting on game of Rugby. 

Have they ? , You've asked them ? , In the world of the ' RL fan ' , maybe it has , but in the world of the Wire fan , or the Leeds fan , or the Fev fan , has it ? , I'd suggest it hasn't , and I don't buy this we need to attract fans from the world over just to watch RL in general , we need the people of Leeds to watch Leeds , the people of Rochdale to watch Hornets , the people of Leigh to watch Leigh , to get that you need to bring in a " this is YOUR club from YOUR town " culture , irrespective of beer gardens and lots of the Bullmania stuff we saw 2 decades ago 

Archived