2 Year TV Deal

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So not sustainable as it was losing money 

A bit like Leigh's endless campaigns to join or stay in SL.

Not enough money, did I mention money earlier, remind me?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So not sustainable as it was losing money 

I think most of the money was spent on players wages rather than anything else. I think the increase in spectators can cover whatever it is a club does to market themselves in the local area.

Halifax didn't do much razzmatazz but still went bust!!

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If they are new or existing fans, no matter, the fan one is doing the job. If new, great, if old, maybe they aren't as stuck on their ways as you suggest. 

But why are you getting stuck on fanzones? It's the whole package, the fireworks, the music, the light shows, the food and drink, the facilities, the kids rugby, dancing, whatever, it isn't just an 80 minute event. 

I'm not the one who suggested the fan zones , you are the first to mention the rest , facilities , we've dealt with , some have good facilities for watching the game , but not for other stuff ( usually modern ) , while others do have room to do stuff ( usually old ) 

Most clubs have decent sound systems now , and use them on match days , light shows and fireworks only really work at night , most clubs play during the day to avoid clashing with televised games ( and tend to be more family and away fan friendly ) 

Kids rugby and cheerleaders ? , Some do ( those who have total control of their facilities ) , done don't ( those who don't have control ) , similarly food and drink , it all depends on who's running the stadium 

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

True , although wasn't too bad last time , we had enough money to put a team out that put 50 past your lot 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm not the one who suggested the fan zones , you are the first to mention the rest , facilities , we've dealt with , some have good facilities for watching the game , but not for other stuff ( usually modern ) , while others do have room to do stuff ( usually old ) 

Most clubs have decent sound systems now , and use them on match days , light shows and fireworks only really work at night , most clubs play during the day to avoid clashing with televised games ( and tend to be more family and away fan friendly ) 

Kids rugby and cheerleaders ? , Some do ( those who have total control of their facilities ) , done don't ( those who don't have control ) , similarly food and drink , it all depends on who's running the stadium 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

True , although wasn't too bad last time , we had enough money to put a team out that put 50 past your lot 

One game does not make a season.

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

Feel free to enter the discussion if you like , it's about the impact of the TV deal and what clubs could do to negate the effects on attendances ?

Other wise if you're just going to keep bugging in with childish digs at Leigh 

Bog off pieman 🖕

4 minutes ago, Padge said:
10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Top post , your best one tonight 👍

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Feel free to enter the discussion if you like , it's about the impact of the TV deal and what clubs could do to negate the effects on attendances ?

Other wise if you're just going to keep bugging in with childish digs at Leigh 

Bog off pieman 🖕

Leigh is the perfect example of chasing the dream without having first chased the money so the comment was absolutely relevant.

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It isn't the blackout rule. All Prem league games are not sold for the UK market outside 2 rounds (iirc). 

As I say, it's not really a thing in the UK. 

Yes because they cant sell them since they are shown during the blackout period. The second that blackout rule is removed (hypothetically), youll see a tv packages with 3 pm matches included being sold. Had the Burnley chairman never convinced the Football League  and FA to have the blackout rule, televised 3 pm matches would have long been a common occurrence.

Of course, anyone in the UK with the desire can easily get around the blackout and watch 3 pm matches, and from what I've read this becoming more and more common ( but by no means a significant portion)

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You seem to be creating a debate with me that I wasn't having. I'm not saying RL is bad at this stuff (apart from the backward steps on the fanzones at major events), but you are making out all these things aren't important. 

I mentioned fanzones, but I mentioned plenty other things and I pointed out that clubs should do what suits their circumstances. 

With respect, your posts on this subject are just full of excuses. The point is that we have moved on from just staging a game of RL - I'm not sure why you are disagreeing with that, but then pointing out that clubs are doing some of the things I highlight. 

2 hours ago, emesssea said:

Yes because they cant sell them since they are shown during the blackout period. The second that blackout rule is removed (hypothetically), youll see a tv packages with 3 pm matches included being sold. Had the Burnley chairman never convinced the Football League  and FA to have the blackout rule, televised 3 pm matches would have long been a common occurrence.

Of course, anyone in the UK with the desire can easily get around the blackout and watch 3 pm matches, and from what I've read this becoming more and more common ( but by no means a significant portion)

They can sell them if they choose. They can sell as many games as they like for their comp. They choose not to show every game in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You seem to be creating a debate with me that I wasn't having. I'm not saying RL is bad at this stuff (apart from the backward steps on the fanzones at major events), but you are making out all these things aren't important. 

I mentioned fanzones, but I mentioned plenty other things and I pointed out that clubs should do what suits their circumstances. 

With respect, your posts on this subject are just full of excuses. The point is that we have moved on from just staging a game of RL - I'm not sure why you are disagreeing with that, but then pointing out that clubs are doing some of the things I highlight. 

I believe most if not all clubs should do much more on match days , as you put within the restrictions that each club faces , which are many , it's just this constant criticism of the clubs from people on here who act as if they know all the answers , but are so vague about them it is obvious they don't , would better ' stuff ' help attendances ? Perhaps , will it have droves of new fans turning up ? , Nah 

These same experts want to be able to watch every and all games played on either TV or their tablets , often quoting other sports , which as you've pointed out , don't provide this service 

We have to find a balance , but as I've pointed out , I'm a great believer in the ' live ' experience , build that first , when you've built that , then offer the experience ( which is better for more attending fans ) to others via broadcasting , especially the lower tiers , which IMO are not suited to live broadcast except in certain circumstances 

Anyway , I think we're all done , so I'll leave this one as well 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I believe most if not all clubs should do much more on match days , as you put within the restrictions that each club faces , which are many , it's just this constant criticism of the clubs from people on here who act as if they know all the answers , but are so vague about them it is obvious they don't , would better ' stuff ' help attendances ? Perhaps , will it have droves of new fans turning up ? , Nah 

These same experts want to be able to watch every and all games played on either TV or their tablets , often quoting other sports , which as you've pointed out , don't provide this service 

We have to find a balance , but as I've pointed out , I'm a great believer in the ' live ' experience , build that first , when you've built that , then offer the experience ( which is better for more attending fans ) to others via broadcasting , especially the lower tiers , which IMO are not suited to live broadcast except in certain circumstances 

Anyway , I think we're all done , so I'll leave this one as well 

Aye, your first line is pretty much exactly my point, so it sounds like we are in strong agreement! 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Last night on the Sky coverage I’m sure I saw them advertise next Fridays game would also be on YouTube. A sign of things to come next season?

Saw a post on FB earlier today confirming next Dmfridays SL game Sky Sports Arena and YouTube. Looking forward to being able to watch on YouTube.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 03/05/2021 at 17:41, GUBRATS said:

' people ' ? , Were these new fans ? , Or old returning fans ? , Certainly a new stadium can bring in new fans , but that's hardly what we're discussing here , not something we can do each week is it ? 

Nobody is saying some pre match isn't a good thing , but seriously ?

Fan zones ? , At regular games ? , Do Wire have them ? 

Yes times change , but habits die hard 

The fact of the matter is there are pubs directly outside grounds that sell drinks cheaper, It's culture at RL as it is in football to go to the pubs within spitting distance of grounds pre match. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The fact of the matter is there are pubs directly outside grounds that sell drinks cheaper, It's culture at RL as it is in football to go to the pubs within spitting distance of grounds pre match. 

And also the culture in RL to mix with the opposition fans at these pubs , where we all slag Wigan ( occasionally Leeds ) off 😂

On 09/05/2021 at 22:34, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

So does new deal hint at 14 team comp and 8 team play off? 

26 rounds of 2 on sky 

Magic weekend 7 on sky 

Play offs 7 (9 total, 2 free to air) on sky 

So 52 plus 7 plus 7 is 66 on Sky 

FTA to show 10 games (likely post cup final

Streaming to show the rest 

Naw, it's more like; 

28 Rounds - 2 games each Rd on Sky 

MW - 6 on Sky 

3 Playoff games (1 per Playoff week) 

Grand Final on sky 

- so 56 + 6 + 4 is 66 on sky. 

FTA to show 10 including 2 Playoff games (1 per week post challenge cup final, last 8 rds of season + first 2 weeks of Playoffs) 

=76

Streaming to show the rest (104 games) might see some freebies on Sky Sports YouTube channel, bulk PPV (our league ? Or possibly something else PPv streaming) 

Bulk PPV Options- could do similar to Watch NRL. 

£150 for 104 SL games and all other Our League content, including Championship games. 

Weekly passes for £20 

30k at £150 is £4.5m. With Sky producing, no major costs. 

After VAT looking at £3.6m, plus £3m for FTA games in Cup and SL- probably getting nearer £33m in total.

3 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Thanks @Smudger06 that seems reasonable.

I guess deal would allow a switch to 14- or have Super league confirmed its 12 in 2022 and 2023. 

Can't see a 14 team SL in the short term or even medium term given the reduced tv monies available. 

Archived