2 Year TV Deal

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

We need to find what will attract new people. Those who are going to go anyway are also irrelevant to the discussion over pre-match stuff.

Your suggestion ?

What should let's say Rochdale do to attract new supporters ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Your suggestion ?

Well playing pretty rubbish 3rd division rugby hasn't been going to well for them (and in reality playing 2nd division probably won't make a huge difference to that problem) so what harm can trying something different really do?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Well playing pretty rubbish 3rd division rugby hasn't been going to well for them (and in reality playing 2nd division probably won't make a huge difference to that problem) so what harm can trying something different really do?

So as usual , we ALL know the problems , but nobody knows the answers

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Your suggestion ?

I liked the Rochdale stadium, especial the club house bar and the chippy being just across from the turnstiles...

I hated the parking,,, or nil parking... I'd say improve the parking or the trip from the parking as in bus to and from...

Obviously I'm just speaking for myself but I would have thought Rochdale facilities as in bars and restaurants local to the ground are not so good, so ease of access from where ever the towns facilities/high street places are.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic... but Parking is always a key for me.... if not easy I don't go again.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I liked the Rochdale stadium, especial the club house bar and the chippy being just across from the turnstiles...

I hated the parking,,, or nil parking... I'd say improve the parking or the trip from the parking as in bus to and from...

Obviously I'm just speaking for myself but I would have thought Rochdale facilities as in bars and restaurants local to the ground are not so good, so ease of access from where ever the towns facilities/high street places are.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic... but Parking is always a key for me.... if not easy I don't go again.

Thanks for the answer jonn , doubtful that they can provide more parking at the stadium , so you're suggesting some form of ' park and ride ' from the town centre ? , I assume you aren't a Rochdale fan , so you being an away fan , you don't count in some people's opinions 😉

Hope you've enjoyed any visits to the LSV , plenty parking there 👍

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

But people have changed their culture when these things have been put on. 

But it isn't just about those couple of things, it is about putting the best event on we can, if clubs don't have outside space, then they can't put on fan villages. Each experience can be unique and tailored to circumstances. 

But people have come to expect a little more than opening the turnstiles and putting on game of Rugby. 

Exactly, you want people to part with their hard earned then it better be worth it - applies to matchdays, merchandise, everything the club asks fans to pay for.

What annoys me with my own club is they clearly know how to do things and have some expertise from our neighbours at YCCC. The corporate stuff at Headingley is second to none in the competition - it has different pricepoints, different styles (boxes/ banqueting tables etc). They know how to approach and market to that demographic.

Yet for everyone else in the ground its become a bit hit and miss at best. 90% of the stuff is family oriented - facepainting etc. There's a weird obsession with the South Stand that just comes across a bit odd frankly. Otherwise not much is offered. Fans go to the pubs in Headingley rather than drink in the ground not because they are fantastic drinking establishments (most are a bit soulless imo), but because they can get a drink or food that is nice and reasonably priced. £5.50 for a pint of Carlsberg in a plastic cup does seem a bit ridiculous when you can get a far nicer drink two minutes away for noticeably less. 

Like I said YCCC already do things particularly under their Western Terrace - massive range of food and drink, including the standard beers which is fine. There's no reason in my mind why the Rhinos shouldn't be trying to use the ground between 2 hours to KO on a Friday night for the general punters as well as the corporates.

I think the new stadium, and the massive priority that has placed on the corporate aspects of the matchday, has led to the club taking its eye off the ball somewhat in other areas.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Thanks for the answer jonn , doubtful that they can provide more parking at the stadium , so you're suggesting some form of ' park and ride ' from the town centre ? , I assume you aren't a Rochdale fan , so you being an away fan , you don't count in some people's opinions 😉

Hope you've enjoyed any visits to the LSV , plenty parking there 👍

chuckle... yep looking forward to going LSV again when we can... the hospitality looks surprising cheap. Nowadays with my missus underlying heart condition (she can't walk far) we often use hospitality but haven't at Leigh... 

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Like I said YCCC already do things particularly under their Western Terrace - massive range of food and drink, including the standard beers which is fine. There's no reason in my mind why the Rhinos shouldn't be trying to use the ground between 2 hours to KO on a Friday night for the general punters as well as the corporates.

I think the new stadium, and the massive priority that has placed on the corporate aspects of the matchday, has led to the club taking its eye off the ball somewhat in other areas.

have to agree with you... outside of hospitality the food on offer is poor... burgers, pies, chips... as far as I can see... or at least what people walk by with...

Hospitality options and the standards is outstanding... all-be-it relative pricey but then again its generally full so they know the demographic.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We're all waiting ?

There are plenty of varying examples across RL and other similar sized sporting enterprises about the various ways a club like that can grow/exist. Example's I'm sure Mr Mazey will be looking at for Rochdale.

8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

chuckle... yep looking forward to going LSV again when we can... the hospitality looks surprising cheap. Nowadays with my missus underlying heart condition (she can't walk far) we often use hospitality but haven't at Leigh... 

Good job you're not like most RL fans , they only travel by train 😉

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

There are plenty of varying examples across RL and other similar sized sporting enterprises about the various ways a club like that can grow/exist. Example's I'm sure Mr Mazey will be looking at for Rochdale.

Still waiting 

Just now, redjonn said:

have to agree with you... outside of hospitality the food on offer is poor... burgers, pies, chips... as far as I can see... or at least what people walk by with...

Hospitality options and the standards is outstanding... all-be-it relative pricey but then again its generally full so they know the demographic.

I hope it improves because clearly they know what they are doing in other areas. I just think they've not sussed the general attendance market yet. 

"The South Stand" stuff on the one hand sounds like a cult ultras group and on the other a family fun day. Its really odd.

Likewise the offerings in the ground are poor compared to what YCCC do for their general admission, but perhaps that reflects where that club has a better relationship with some partners in that field.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Premier League does not broadcast all their games. 

It isn't really a thing that happens in the UK. 

Yes they do, on any given week I and every single other person outside of the UK can watch the 3 pm match of our choice (back when there were multiple 3 pm matches). Its just some old blackout rule that prevents UK fans from being able to watch (whether it actually protects lower league attendance makes for an interesting debate)

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Still waiting 

Go on then

In RL in the past 25 years, most clubs have either adapted or constructed facilities specifically for corporate engagement - reconising how important that is to the club. Others, such as Batley or Toronto, have developed a festival type atmosphere to their weekend games, with a focus on matchday experience as the drawcard often over the sport itself. Clubs like Newcastle have worked at rooting themselves in their local area to create strong ties with fans. Leigh spend a shedload of money to try get promoted most years - I'd wager that's the most expensive option of the ones suggested, but they've played more Super League games than most so it's swings and roundabouts.

Mr Mazey clearly tried something with Swinton that their fans were unhappy about. Whether he follows that same path with Rochdale I'm less sure - it would be a greater stretch than with the deracinated Lions.

Would you like examples from other sports? Community focused football clubs, RU matchday experiences? Often the trick is not to say "nobody knows the answer", but to do a bit of research, try something appropriate, and see if that works.

3 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Yes they do, on any given week I and every single other person outside of the UK can watch the 3 pm match of our choice (back when there were multiple 3 pm matches). Its just some old blackout rule that prevents UK fans from being able to watch (whether it actually protects lower league attendance makes for an interesting debate)

Outside the UK being the imperative here... these matches are not sold to a UK TV market

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I hope it improves because clearly they know what they are doing in other areas. I just think they've not sussed the general attendance market yet. 

"The South Stand" stuff on the one hand sounds like a cult ultras group and on the other a family fun day. Its really odd.

Likewise the offerings in the ground are poor compared to what YCCC do for their general admission, but perhaps that reflects where that club has a better relationship with some partners in that field.

I'd assume the events at YCCC last all day , or at the worst 4/5 hours , so does this mean the longer day mean it is more realistic to provide more options for people to eat and drink , plus the fact cricket can be immensely boring for long periods , so you need something for the punters to do when bored ( get ###### and eat ) 

6 minutes ago, emesssea said:

So they don't broadcast every match in the UK , that was the discussion , pay attention 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd assume the events at YCCC last all day , or at the worst 4/5 hours , so does this mean the longer day mean it is more realistic to provide more options for people to eat and drink , plus the fact cricket can be immensely boring for long periods , so you need something for the punters to do when bored ( get ###### and eat ) 

Nah I was talking about the T20s, which between say 6 and 10 operate in the same timeslot window that the Rugby ground is open for a Rhinos Friday night game.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Go on then

In RL in the past 25 years, most clubs have either adapted or constructed facilities specifically for corporate engagement - reconising how important that is to the club. Others, such as Batley or Toronto, have developed a festival type atmosphere to their weekend games, with a focus on matchday experience as the drawcard often over the sport itself. Clubs like Newcastle have worked at rooting themselves in their local area to create strong ties with fans. Leigh spend a shedload of money to try get promoted most years - I'd wager that's the most expensive option of the ones suggested, but they've played more Super League games than most so it's swings and roundabouts.

Mr Mazey clearly tried something with Swinton that their fans were unhappy about. Whether he follows that same path with Rochdale I'm less sure - it would be a greater stretch than with the deracinated Lions.

Would you like examples from other sports? Community focused football clubs, RU matchday experiences? Often the trick is not to say "nobody knows the answer", but to do a bit of research, try something appropriate, and see if that works.

You missed out Leigh getting a top draw stadium built ( yes they didn't finance it , but it got built ) 

Batley ? , Yes , everybody's favourite away day , but it isn't away fans we're discussing here , does it draw in lots more home fans  

Most Heartland clubs are already ' rooted ' in their communities ( although I'm sure most if not all could and should do more ) , but yes , well done Newcastle 

I'm not getting involved in the Canadian beer festival 

So just saying loads have done loads isn't answering the question , try again , we're still waiting 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You missed out Leigh getting a top draw stadium built ( yes they didn't finance it , but it got built ) 

Batley ? , Yes , everybody's favourite away day , but it isn't away fans we're discussing here , does it draw in lots more home fans  

Most Heartland clubs are already ' rooted ' in their communities ( although I'm sure most if not all could and should do more ) , but yes , well done Newcastle 

I'm not getting involved in the Canadian beer festival 

So just saying loads have done loads isn't answering the question , try again , we're still waiting 

I have a feeling you'll never be happy, because apparently saying "loads have done loads" isn't exemplifying enough for you.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah I was talking about the T20s, which between say 6 and 10 operate in the same timeslot window that the Rugby ground is open for a Rhinos Friday night game.

That's 4 hours , which is what I said , which is still longer than a RL match 

So what you are saying is the mighty Leeds Rhino's are ###### at putting on an event for their fans ? , This despite having a venue suitable for it 

Archived