Championship and Championship 1.Where now

I have just seen that the Super League have agreed a deal with SKY for £25m per season which is I believe £15m LESS than the current deal.

A big drop you will all agree.

So where do the Championship and Championship 1 clubs fit into this picture?

Do they get anything or not?

And no I as a supporter of a Championship club I will not beg and cry for money from the RFL/Super League or whatever they are called these days.

I accept that we will either get more of a pittance or nothing from this,and tbh I think I would rather have nothing and if offered a pittance tell them to give the money to the tramps in Manchester city centre instead.

So what plans are being made for us, and by us, and by us I mean the clubs themselves to ensure that the doors are kept open?

Or are we going to lose some clubs at semi professional level?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw something the other day about TV rights for the Championship.I didn’t see anything about Championship 1 though.

And I didn’t see what sort of figures moneywise were on the table.

But there is no doubt that some sort of TV deal will be needed possibly along with some sort of streaming like as per Our League.

35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

League 1 is probably done in its current form.  

If the Super League is going to stay as 12 clubs,that leaves 24 clubs outside of Super League.

I cannot see a TV broadcaster wanting to fund 24 clubs.

I think we will see maybe some sort of new look National Championship with maybe say 16 clubs where each team will play each other once and the top 8 play each other once and vice versa for the bottom 8.I think that division will be by invitation/“franchise”where there will be a very strict criteria as to who will get in as I think every club will have to apply for a”franchise”

And the ones who don’t make the final cut will either I feel end up becoming amateur clubs or they will sadly fade away.

I could of course be totally wrong.

24 Club Championship as per the EFL Championship etc......

Impossible to do a full double round Robin so would have to do what the Champions League are going to be doing ( 36 teams; 1 table; only play 10 of the 35 other teams though, 5 home & 5 away) 

Probably best off splitting into odds and evens based on previous seasons standings just for the purpose of generating a fixture list, so odds play evens once at home and once away for 24 games and vise versa. 

Maybe only get £1.2m for a game a week / round from Premier Sport. That money in its entirety would have to go on funding (£700k) + investing in ongoing development (£500k) for Our League. 

So if they can achieve 1,500 buys/views per game. @ £4.95 per buy £7,425 x 11 x 24 =  £1,960,200 / the 24 Clubs. 

Each Club gets £81,000 from pooling its broadcast rights. 

Can pay 17 part time players each and rely on trialists and SL loan players to cover injury, illness, compassionate absence, suspensions. 

Sponsorships, merch & Gate to cover remainder of operating costs....

Clubs would fall away and call it a day quite rapidly, until they were all gone by about a decade. Unless the promotion place remained open. Then the comp could survive initially and indeed grow its our league viewership year on year after that......and finally be sustainable and then successful ....

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Two top divisions of 14, Cat and Toulouse locked in SL.

Clubs in Champ must average 1500 to be a member or provide boost to game  (Dewsbury with their excellent 3g set up an example). 

RFL North and South below.  Promotion provided clubs can demonstrate liklihood of meeting 1500 in Champ or quality income generation. 

I agree that the Super League could be increased to 14 teams.

I do feel that there will be caveats and stipulations as to the criteria for a 14 or even 16 team Championship,though whether attendance figures will be part of it I don’t know.I do think that there will be some sort of minimum ground standards and possibly location(s)will count.

You could be on to something I think regarding the rest who don’t make the cut into the Championship.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

League 1 is probably done in its current form.  

I disagree, of the 3 Leagues I'd argue its the Championship whose model is most at risk. L1 clubs will go from £75k to even a third of that and still be relatively ok - paying part timers £100 a game to £40 for example.

Championship clubs on bloated central funding of upwards of £500k dropping back to £75k ish will be stuffed on their current model.

Its far more likely every non SL club moves closer to L1 in style from next season, whereas they have been moving in the other direction in the recent past. I don't have any specific opinions on that right now.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I disagree, of the 3 Leagues I'd argue its the Championship whose model is most at risk. L1 clubs will go from £75k to even a third of that and still be relatively ok - paying part timers £100 a game to £40 for example.

Championship clubs on bloated central funding of upwards of £500k dropping back to £75k ish will be stuffed on their current model.

Its far more likely every non SL club moves closer to L1 in style from next season, whereas they have been moving in the other direction in the recent past. I don't have any specific opinions on that right now.

Financially I think you could be right - very little dribble downs to L1 anyway and maybe, and just maybe, there is the chance for a standalone deal or funding from streaming; the risk though is that L1 will go so whatever money is left over from SL (and whatever other deals are garnered) are divided between a smaller number of remaining Championship clubs (maybe with a couple of L1 teams added). 

It would nice to think that the powers that be have a plan/idea given that this has been coming for some time!

I can't say I am very optimistic about the future for my club or its league this afternoon, but we will see.

Just read this on the BBC website. Sounds about right:

It's unlikely that much, if any, of the money will drip down to support clubs in the Championship or League One. There is talk of a separate deal for the lower league clubs with a different broadcaster, but it would be fanciful to suggest that such a deal would yield any significant income.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree with this. League one clubs receive a very modest amount of central funding (£60-70k) and are already semi pro pretty much operating on a pay to play basis. Of course even this small amount of funding would be missed but Championship clubs are more likely to suffer if the rug is pulled out from under them. 

Of course longer term any amount of funding cuts from championship and league 1 will damage the game. League 1 clubs are mainly under threat from people thinking the solution is to cut teams from the league structure

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Gd point about Championship.  Think makes it more vital to expand SL or gd work of Newcastle York and Tolouse could be undone .

Right now I can only see York,Newcastle,London Broncos and daft as it might sound Coventry(Because of location)being absolute nailed on certs of winning a Championship place. And because they are cities.

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Financially I think you could be right - very little dribble downs to L1 anyway and maybe, and just maybe, there is the chance for a standalone deal or funding from streaming; the risk though is that L1 will go so whatever money is left over from SL (and whatever other deals are garnered) are divided between a smaller number of remaining Championship clubs (maybe with a couple of L1 teams added). 

It would nice to think that the powers that be have a plan/idea given that this has been coming for some time!

I can't say I am very optimistic about the future for my club or its league this afternoon, but we will see.

My point would be that: is it easier for L1 clubs to run on L1 funding, or Championship clubs to run on L1 funding? I just see League 1 as ironically far more sustainable. (FWIW RU has the same problem with its 2nd tier).

I suppose you could end up with "L1" just filled with the remaining Championship clubs as you say. 

The crux of this will rely on whether the League 1 clubs can get the lower end championship clubs (who don't get much more than they do centrally anyway) onside. If they agree to the new RFL financing deal quickly, they very quickly will outnumber the bigger Championship clubs who will be pushing for less clubs to get more funding.

38 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Maybe only get £1.2m for a game a week / round from Premier Sport. That money in its entirety would have to go on funding (£700k) + investing in ongoing development (£500k) for Our League.

That seems like a pretty optimistic figure. Pro14 RU (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, SA, Italy) got something like £1.7m per season from Premier Sport, a deal done at a time when tv rights were going for higher amounts. Scottish second tier football (which includes Hearts) gets £350K a year from BBC Scotland.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Gd point about Championship.  Think makes it more vital to expand SL or gd work of Newcastle York and Tolouse could be undone .

Indeed, to me it is critical that if the game is to split into distinct pro and semi pro competitions that those clubs (and some others) are in the former.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

That seems like a pretty optimistic figure. Pro14 RU (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, SA, Italy) got something like £1.7m per season from Premier Sport, a deal done at a time when tv rights were going for higher amounts. Scottish second tier football (which includes Hearts) gets £350K a year from BBC Scotland.

No point in selling anything to Premier Sports for anything less than £1m. Enough cash is needed to sustain and improve PPV streaming otherwise its good night Vienna. 

20 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I agree with this. League one clubs receive a very modest amount of central funding (£60-70k) and are already semi pro pretty much operating on a pay to play basis. Of course even this small amount of funding would be missed but Championship clubs are more likely to suffer if the rug is pulled out from under them. 

Of course longer term any amount of funding cuts from championship and league 1 will damage the game. League 1 clubs are mainly under threat from people thinking the solution is to cut teams from the league structure

Indeed, as I put in a subsequent post, the crux for League 1 clubs will be getting the lower end championship sides to agree to the RFL negotiated central funding model (which will presumably include provision for league 1 clubs) which would leave the bigger clubs who are aiming for "less clubs=more funding" increasingly isolated.

Ironically the thing that will make this more likely will be the massively uneven levels of central distribution in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, as I put in a subsequent post, the crux for League 1 clubs will be getting the lower end championship sides to agree to the RFL negotiated central funding model (which will presumably include provision for league 1 clubs) which would leave the bigger clubs who are aiming for "less clubs=more funding" increasingly isolated.

Ironically the thing that will make this more likely will be the massively uneven levels of central distribution in the Championship.

Maybe there’s an opportunity not just with the lower end Championship but other teams who have mooted playing in the English league like Serbia. 

One issue here is whatever league structure emerges below SL, is there going to be any chance of lower league teams joining the top? 

No the bigger Clubs hold the cards, as without them there's no central funding to dish out is there? Not even 75k. These League 1 Clubs and bottom Championship won't be able to generate even 500 paying views without the bigger clubs involved, nor 500 tickets to the game either. 

Here we go, working on potential fans from big cities again. Think we need to work on the basis of existing fans, more realistic way of surviving. Obviously need to save as many clubs as  possible and the best way to do that is work together, not in cahoots etc. 

12 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Maybe there’s an opportunity not just with the lower end Championship but other teams who have mooted playing in the English league like Serbia. 

One issue here is whatever league structure emerges below SL, is there going to be any chance of lower league teams joining the top? 

Absolutely true on your second point especially. That is a vital distinction which we aught to remember how relegation only returned in the last TV deal.

The foreign/expansion sides are an interesting one. I'm of the opinion that clubs should enter, if its generally affordable to all parties, at the level they intend to play at. By that I mean no FT teams steamrollering League 1 and no expectations that part time West Wales Raiders or Coventry Bears will be Super League Grand Finalists in 5 years. I'd expect the RFL to funnel international sides in particular to the fully pro set up.

4 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

League 1 - its been that for years.

League One looks like it could be in trouble. Let’s turn the negative into a positive. Spitting the League into a League One North and League One South would significantly reduce travel costs for clubs at that level, while also allowing us to bring in new expansion clubs into League One South, at a level their more likely able to compete at.

Archived