Sat 1- Sun 2 May: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Niels said:

Is the Batley game free on Our League?

Is it online please?

No not free, it may still be 4.95 still but not sure. Not aware of it being online anywhere else, and if it is, I would doubt the quality would be as good as the RL supporting Ourleague site.

15 minutes ago, distantdog said:

No not free, it may still be 4.95 still but not sure. Not aware of it being online anywhere else, and if it is, I would doubt the quality would be as good as the RL supporting Ourleague site.

Thanks very much.

Hopefully they will continue with another good win. 

Sheffield 20- London Broncos 20 Full Time - A fair result at the end of the day, London have 3-4 better individual players but Sheffield looked the better team. After the last round an Oldham poster remarked that London had some good players and some part-time players and he was spot-on. It's mid-table at best

That said it would be churlish not to say that defensively Lolndon were better in the second half. Abbas Miski Broncos man of the match not just for the hat-trick, but secure under the high ball and providing a lot of go forward when carrying he ball.  I can see Abbas being picked up by a Super League club at season's end. Jarrod Sammut less of a factor, but an missed conversion from him could have cost London the game

Great and unbiased commentary from John Helm and Paul "Beans" Broadbent.

Played  at the Keepmoat Stadium a shiny new stadium, empty and echoing. London Broncos had better get used to that...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Sheffield 20- London Broncos 20 Full Time - A fair result at the end of the day, London have 3-4 better individual players but Sheffield looked the better team. After the last round an Oldham poster remarked that London had some good players and some part-time players and he was spot-on. It's mid-table at best

That said it would be churlish not to say that defensively Lolndon were better in the second half. Abbas Miski Broncos man of the match not just for the hat-trick, but secure under the high ball and providing a lot of go forward when carrying he ball.  I can see Abbas being picked up by a Super League club at season's end. Jarrod Sammut less of a factor, but an missed conversion from him could have cost London the game

Great and unbiased commentary from John Helm and Paul "Beans" Broadbent.

Played  at the Keepmoat Stadium a shiny new stadium, empty and echoing. London Broncos had better get used to that...

Miski is an excellent signing, as is Hankinson.

Too early to write London off as ‘mid-table at best’ (but good to see you’ve promoted them from League 1 standard after Halifax 😉). 

They bossed territory but didn’t make it count. All too clunky. There’s more to come from them.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wow, Oldham beat Halifax. Lots of personnel changes at Fax this season but doesn't seem to have worked so far. They let in some very soft tries against Toulouse last week, they are really struggling right now.

My prediction went well, although in my defense on the Fax forum I did say that it would be just like Fax to lose a close game.

You are right though PH we look awful, way off where we should be. Fair play to Oldham they stuck to the task and dug in while our show ponies went hiding again. I think todays performance was just as bad as the Toulouse one and I don't see Grix lasting much longer.

I still think Oldham will get relegated but I would rather watch a team turn up and play like they did today rather than watching the effort that we put in.

Oldham are not going to get relegated. Today was not a flash in the pan. Halifax did show up, as was shown in the way they defended. We split London on numerous occasions,  last week, to score 4 open tries. We blew it by gifting them 3, arguably 4 , tries , did you see that stupid drop out, for one? The difference this week was we didn't do too many daft things. Halifax defended far better today than London did last week. In my book that makes them a better team than London.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oldham are not going to get relegated. Today was not a flash in the pan. Halifax did show up, as was shown in the way they defended. We split London on numerous occasions,  last week, to score 4 open tries. We blew it by gifting them 3, arguably 4 , tries , did you see that stupid drop out, for one? The difference this week was we didn't do too many daft things. Halifax defended far better today than London did last week. In my book that makes them a better team than London.

I personally thought our defence looked weak and soft as evident in the tries that we conceded, especially the last one. Its ok scrambling like we did but when our half backs defence is so soft on our own line it almost makes it not worthwhile scrambling. The number of 1 on 1 and 2 on 1 tackles that we dropped off were as bad if not worse than Toulouse last week and I think the performance was just about on a par with little or no reaction to that thumping we got.

34 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I personally thought our defence looked weak and soft as evident in the tries that we conceded, especially the last one. Its ok scrambling like we did but when our half backs defence is so soft on our own line it almost makes it not worthwhile scrambling. The number of 1 on 1 and 2 on 1 tackles that we dropped off were as bad if not worse than Toulouse last week and I think the performance was just about on a par with little or no reaction to that thumping we got.

Quite! But why do you think they played that way? To my mind it was Oldham's superiority.

looking forward to our game v batley, will be another tough game as all games in this league are, though im so happy we are here playing against these top sides, would be great to build on last weeks win over sheffield, come on thunder!!

11 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Quite! But why do you think they played that way? To my mind it was Oldham's superiority.

Theres no excuse for dropping off the number of tackles we did yesterday not to mention the number of times we coughed up the ball, I think it were at least twice on the Oldham line on the first tackle it happened. We never gave ourselves a chance. As we saw last week if you do that against a top team then they will take you to the cleaners, if you do it against teams seen as relegation favourites then theres the potential to slip up. It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking for a new coach soon as even Grix's supporters have turned on him after yesterday, its only a matter of time before the inevitable happens after that.

28 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Theres no excuse for dropping off the number of tackles we did yesterday not to mention the number of times we coughed up the ball, I think it were at least twice on the Oldham line on the first tackle it happened. We never gave ourselves a chance. As we saw last week if you do that against a top team then they will take you to the cleaners, if you do it against teams seen as relegation favourites then theres the potential to slip up. It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking for a new coach soon as even Grix's supporters have turned on him after yesterday, its only a matter of time before the inevitable happens after that.

With the big name signings in the off season I wouldn’t be too surprised if Halifax looked towards a more experienced head coach to manage the group, although I’ve nothing against Grix as a young British coach and hope he does well (albeit not at Oldham’s expense). During the second half yesterday Halifax just made so many errors and couldn’t get going offensively. They defended stoutly for a period but Oldham’s pressure ultimately cracked them in the end.

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

How many get relegated this season? Is it just 1 team?

It'll depend on what reorganisation of league 1 takes place with the new tv contract, I suspect.

Archived