Sat 1- Sun 2 May: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely anyone's game. Rams probably playing the more sensible rugby and keeping York on the back foot. York taking the wrong option and making errors but still looking creative. A proper game of rugby.

Last week I posted that anybody can literally beat anyone. 

The Fax scores proves it. 

York will have done well to beat Dewsbury at Dewsbury - very tough to beat.

Some good matches this week.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

35 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

How many directors do they have!?

BBC radio York's commentary just said that a Featherstone director was getting up to leave. Assuming that wasn't a mistake (and he meant Dewsbury), what justification could there be for another club's officials being at a match?

Just now, Barley Mow said:

BBC radio York's commentary just said that a Featherstone director was getting up to leave. Assuming that wasn't a mistake (and he meant Dewsbury), what justification could their be for another club's officials being at a match?

Of course. My comment was tongue in cheek, as the bench and staff etc could be shouting, but surely sounded to me like there was at least 20 voices or so shouting, and they sounded very "crowd" like.

2 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Of course. My comment was tongue in cheek, as the bench and staff etc could be shouting, but surely sounded to me like there was at least 20 voices or so shouting, and they sounded very "crowd" like.

There was definitely plenty of noise.

I just thought it was a bit odd that a director from a third club (Featherstone) would be able to attend. Surely that can't be allowed under the covid restrictions?

This certainly looks as though it's going to be an unpredictable season (excluding Fev & Toulouse) and relegation could be influenced by who you avoid playing twice, which I've said before is unfair. Is there a list anywhere which tells you which teams are only playing once without having to look through everyone's fixture lists?

11 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

This certainly looks as though it's going to be an unpredictable season (excluding Fev & Toulouse) and relegation could be influenced by who you avoid playing twice, which I've said before is unfair.

There are lots of variables each season which mean that there is never such a thing such as a level playing field. Your team might play another team at one part of the season when it's in form whereas your promotion/relegation rivals might play it at another part of the season when it's out of form. Or you might play a team when it's just acquired a couple of classy SL signings on loan, when your rivals play that team when it's decimated by injuries. You might get a couple of dubious calls by the officials in crucial games, or you might lose a game you'd normally expect to win which became a lottery in the mud.

I'm not saying that the reduced-fixtures season is ideal, or the % winning games system either. But both of these have been made necessary because of Covid, and to me having a less-than-perfect system, but with competitive and meaningful games, is preferable to having a season of glorified friendlies with no promotion or relegation.

10 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

This certainly looks as though it's going to be an unpredictable season (excluding Fev & Toulouse) and relegation could be influenced by who you avoid playing twice, which I've said before is unfair. Is there a list anywhere which tells you which teams are only playing once without having to look through everyone's fixture lists?

relegation could be influenced by who you avoid playing twice MAYBE  FEV  don't play newcastle and whithaven away and widnes and swinton at home so four teams who has things stand   have only won three games between them out of a possible sixteen and  are in the relegation battle but in reality I think relegation  will be all about who wins when teams at the bottom play each other not on who they don't play

On the flip side FEV have already played two teams who they don't play again and beaten them 36-6 and 48-14 and if your going on form guide now they could beat the other two  as well so you may argue FEV will  miss out on eight points  in the season 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Interesting, one of the pictures on the York Press website shows part of the stand the camera was in and I count at least 25 people sat there. 

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19275097.james-ford-praises-versatility-york-city-knights-dewsbury-win/

ca0ef80929bd8af86f6a9c61b521a387.png

Note - now I've had a look myself, that does look a pretty well populated stand 🤔

Archived