Sun 2 May: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/21 at 14:30

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Leeds look genuine relegation candidates although the stitch up of Leigh might save them.

I think judging it 5 games in and with the team Leeds are putting out is daft.

Were going to get players back and will get enough wins for Mid Table.

Bar Hull KR game Leeds have been in every game and showed a lot of effort, were just clearly lacking anyone in the halves.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Maybe, but we do have a lot of players in key positions out, for example at half back.

Its not an excuse for some of the stupid plays we seem to be making including players getting banned but it will ultimately mean we have to play with makeshift sides.

I thought it was a scrappy game Hudds really should have put the game away but seemed to try mimic Leeds with daft penalties 

I guess two of the most important positions coverage is impacting Leeds.... a club should focus on ensuring good standard cover for those positions.

I also think Leeds over estimate the standard of the youngsters, no doubt good potential but the here and now is important. Otherwise my missus is sick of watching them losing and I'm fed up walking on eggshells.

The set up for the drop goals... is and was embarrassing, Sutcliffe was always struggling. not sure why he doesn't sit further back in the pocket so to speak. Not counting the one where the full back took it to the side line... a drop goal is relatively a simple skill (assuming practice), its down to the set up/positioning leading up creating a relatively calm enough context.  Don't they practice over and over again.

Leeds start the games OK, but then they have a simple approach as most teams for the start... the forwards look good at those stages... but then once the initial arm wrestle is done they seem to lose their way when the opposition start to open up and exploit the gaps... like down through Hurrell, whose turns like a tanker. 

15 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess two of the most important positions coverage is impacting Leeds.... a club should focus on ensuring good standard cover for those positions.

I also think Leeds over estimate the standard of the youngsters, no doubt good potential but the here and now is important. Otherwise my missus is sick of watching them losing and I'm fed up walking on eggshells.

The set up for the drop goals... is and was embarrassing, Sutcliffe was always struggling. not sure why he doesn't sit further back in the pocket so to speak. Not counting the one where the full back took it to the side line... a drop goal is relatively a simple skill (assuming practice), its down to the set up/positioning leading up creating a relatively calm enough context.  Don't they practice over and over again.

Leeds start the games OK, but then they have a simple approach as most teams for the start... the forwards look good at those stages... but then once the initial arm wrestle is done they seem to lose their way when the opposition start to open up and exploit the gaps... like down through Hurrell, whose turns like a tanker. 

The problem is our cover for the halfbacks are also injured.

we played today with no halfbacks at all.

Hudds missed 2 drop goals aswell and they have one of the best halfbacks in SL

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's sad that I don't know this, but what is the playoff structure again this year?

They're waiting to see where Catalans end up.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

25 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

With the injuries Leeds have, this was a game that was very important for Huddersfield to win.

Whether it was by 1 point last second drop goal or more comfortable, the prize was the same.

A relieving win for Huddersfield. Haven't seen or listened to the game but with Sezer scoring all bar 1 of the points, it shows how crucial he is.

4 disallowed tries for the Giants that are all absolutely questionable and with a VR or Captains Challenge would have made this a MUCH different game 

It's a damn good job we got the win

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't Leeds will need to worry about relegation, but their playoff hopes may be dwindling away.

It's sad that I don't know this, but what is the playoff structure again this year?

Same 6-team structure as last year.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The problem is our cover for the halfbacks are also injured.

we played today with no halfbacks at all.

Hudds missed 2 drop goals aswell and they have one of the best halfbacks in SL

ok, but assuming Myler is the fullback (given long term injury of Walker) who are the backups for Gale that are SL or close to SL level.

Yep Huds did, one was an awful kick (setup was good), can't remember the other missed one. 

The plays leading up the Leeds DG attempts didn't seem to be planning for a DG until last plays,,, I mean I assume the players would know Sutcliffe's preferred positioning (left, right or central), know to drive in so get to 10 yards line (just in front) so opposition have to stand behind line and thus ref can more easily check for off sides. Sutcliffe in his position around or just behind the 20 yards.  Plus another kicker positioned right/left behind him in case he is closed down quickly... although with 22/23 yards from line it's tough to close down.

Hudd's had that when they went for the winning DG... this time it was planned from the off (obviously helped by silly penalty) and they had the perfect positionings plus the backup kicker.

I think they will have a problem making it to the play-offs now.   Plus losing games dents confidence even when the 1st choice come back.

At least when Gale and Myler are back they will have have strong leadership voices... they don't seem to have that when their not playing.

15 minutes ago, redjonn said:

ok, but assuming Myler is the fullback (given long term injury of Walker) who are the backups for Gale that are SL or close to SL level.

Yep Huds did, one was an awful kick (setup was good), can't remember the other missed one. 

The plays leading up the Leeds DG attempts didn't seem to be planning for a DG until last plays,,, I mean I assume the players would know Sutcliffe's preferred positioning (left, right or central), know to drive in so get to 10 yards line (just in front) so opposition have to stand behind line and thus ref can more easily check for off sides. Sutcliffe in his position around or just behind the 20 yards.  Plus another kicker positioned right/left behind him in case he is closed down quickly... although with 22/23 yards from line it's tough to close down.

Hudd's had that when they went for the winning DG... this time it was planned from the off (obviously helped by silly penalty) and they had the perfect positionings plus the backup kicker.

I think they will have a problem making it to the play-offs now.   Plus losing games dents confidence even when the 1st choice come back.

At least when Gale and Myler are back they will have have strong leadership voices... they don't seem to have that when their not playing.

The set up plays were fine for Sutcliffes kicks it was the execution.

the back up for Gale is Mcllelland and guess what, he’s injured, Bith Lui and Eastmond were/are injured too, Myler was ridiculously stupid to get banned. So were down to seventh choice halfback. How many clubs have that level of backup?

48 minutes ago, Ant said:

4 disallowed tries for the Giants that are all absolutely questionable and with a VR or Captains Challenge would have made this a MUCH different game 

It's a damn good job we got the win

LOL they all looked pretty clear to me apart from a knock on/grounding one which was right in front of Kendal.

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

the back up for Gale is Mcllelland and guess what, he’s injured, Bith Lui and Eastmond were/are injured too, Myler was ridiculously stupid to get banned. So were down to seventh choice halfback. How many clubs have that level of backup?

Agreed, the point about there being no depth of coverage at half back is silly. The club has three players who've played in the halves internationally, one who's played 200+ NRL and Super League games and the young one who was a star for england academy. In normal times the problem would be too many players, especially the Lui vs Eastmond choice.

58 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well from your point of view same as every year. Hull 'FC' may or may not scrape in and if they do, get knocked out early.

YES YES YES !!! 

Couldn't have been a better opposition or way to get our season up and running against but boy was that close.

Apart from the OB disallowed try where Kenny decided to help Leeming's bowel empty i didn't think there was a lot wrong with any of the other 10, a shame we couldn't get the usual 345 replays of them.

I thought we'd blown it again at one point but it's about time we did that to them !!!.

Hopefully we can kick on now.

27 minutes ago, daz39 said:

YES YES YES !!! 

Couldn't have been a better opposition or way to get our season up and running against but boy was that close.

Apart from the OB disallowed try where Kenny decided to help Leeming's bowel empty i didn't think there was a lot wrong with any of the other 10, a shame we couldn't get the usual 345 replays of them.

I thought we'd blown it again at one point but it's about time we did that to them !!!.

Hopefully we can kick on now.

On the one that was ruled out for offside in the first half the commentators focused on the try scorer when it could clearly be heard from the ref that it was McQueen who was way offside and got within ten metres of the Leeds man.

52 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

True, but the question would be around the McClelland as the backup... he is not anywhere near SL level, yep he is progressing. It reminds me of the no backup for McGuire time when Leeds ended in relegation fight - the issue compounded from losing confidence with so many lost games on the bounce. An obviously problem then and now a case of twice bitten...

Anyway hope your right and Gale doesn't get at more injuries that have him on the side line for a while. Something that more likely than not.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

True, but the question would be around the McClelland as the backup... he is not anywhere near SL level, yep he is progressing. It reminds me of the no backup for McGuire time when Leeds ended in relegation fight - the issue compounded from losing confidence with so many lost games on the bounce. An obviously problem then and now a case of twice bitten...

Anyway hope your right and Gale doesn't get at more injuries that have him on the side line for a while. Something that more likely than not.

But the issue we are having is all of our options at 6 or 7 are injured, thats quite an unusual circumstance and any team would struggle to win consistently in that situation.

41 minutes ago, M j M said:

Agreed, the point about there being no depth of coverage at half back is silly. The club has three players who've played in the halves internationally, one who's played 200+ NRL and Super League games and the young one who was a star for england academy. In normal times the problem would be too many players, especially the Lui vs Eastmond choice.

maybe,,, but Lui is almost always playing through an injury on the field and Eastmond fittest being such it would always take time for him to fit back in.   Looking forward to Eastmond when eventually fit and match fit.

It always seems to me that Leeds have have to utilise to throw the youngsters in as distinct from say Saints and Wigan whom nurse them in until nearer to being ready.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

But the issue we are having is all of our options at 6 or 7 are injured, thats quite an unusual circumstance and any team would struggle to win consistently in that situation.

lets hope Gale is their to be picked for rest of season, otherwise I don't see anyone at his sort of level at half back... given Myler has to be in the fullback role given a choice.

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

lets hope Gale is their to be picked for rest of season, otherwise I don't see anyone at his sort of level at half back... given Myler has to be in the fullback role given a choice.

Oh I agree Leeds need Gale fit to be in any chance of getting near the playoffs, however any fit halves would help.

I think Huddersfield will be beat Saints on Friday. Saints will have a few forwards missing but i still expect Woolf too keep with the same predictable tactics of four or five drives down the middle, and then a nice easy catch for the fullback after a kick from Fages. 

Archived