Thu 29 Apr:SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/21 at 19:15

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was enthralling. The Cup game should be superb. I was sorry to see Taylor go off and hope he’s ok. He was a great player for us, and always does the hard yards. I wonder how long French will stay on the wing, now that Manfredi is fit. And Isa looks a superb centre. I don’t know how far we can go this year, but I am enjoying watching us, as our young forwards are so competitive. 2 very good sides. 

I hope it goes without saying, but if Clubb is guilty, he should pay a very heavy price indeed. We don’t have that in our game. 

Hull just lacked that little bit extra, maybe Reynolds, to get over Wigan, impressed with Cator, Lane & Savellio as I have been in all the times I've seen them, not flashy but put in lots of effort and hard work. For Wigan I think Bateman has been less than impressive compared to his form at the Raiders, maybe coaches/player's over here have worked him out better.

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Imagine how eager the inevitable Australian referee would be to card Connor if it was England v the Kangaroos. He's a fantastic talent with some flaws that would be under the magnifying glass at international level.

I couldn't care less if Connor gets in the England team. But he's been in it before and performed very well. 

But if we want to win anything ever. We need players who can produce something from nothing. Connor can.

Or we can stick to.. no error rugby and come close.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Enjoyed that game. Hull not helped by Connor's indiscipline. Thought Hastings was excellent, best he's played in a while.

Plenty of encouragement for Hull, who showed they can compete at the top. Looking forward to part 2 next week.

As for the Clubb allegation, if Sky showed the incident at the end, it's unlikely that any cameras or microphones picked up any helpful evidence and unlikely any other other player (apart from Clubb or Savelio) heard what was said.

It may prove difficult to charge a player with such a serious allegation and issue a severe punishment (which there of course should be for racist remarks) if the evidence is as scarce as it initially seems.

10 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I couldn't care less if Connor gets in the England team. But he's been in it before and performed very well. 

But if we want to win anything ever. We need players who can produce something from nothing. Connor can.

Or we can stick to.. no error rugby and come close.

I don't know if Connor is the answer, but I agree with your sentiments. I'm not sure that England will ever beat the Aussies by just playing high percentage rugby at a good intensity, because the Aussies are the masters at it and they will beat us at our own game. Man for man they are just better than us.  

Our best hope is to throw some stuff at them that they never see. Adopt a style that they aren't used to, and have a couple of mavericks in the side. There is chance it might end in a spectacular failure. But there is an even bigger chance that the safety first approach will end in an honourable defeat.

It was another ugly win from Wigan but I'll take that any day. Hull were tough and caused problems throughout but I don't think either team was really at their best. Both were perhaps a little wary of the other and not quite focused enough. Too many errors and ill discipline from both sides at times.

Hastings made a huge different. Definitely the right choice as man of the match. Farrell 2nd on that list. It's incredible how well he's slotted into the centre role. Looks like he's played there all his life and even out of position he's still one of Wigan's best week in week out. I think Joe Shorrocks is also worth a mention. Goes under the radar a bit and Smithies tends to get more recognition but Shorrocks is so consistent down the middle and an excellent ball playing 13.

After the build up focused on Hardaker v Connor it's probably no surprise that both were fairly disappointing. Hardaker was closely watched and didn't make the best of decisions while Connor let his side down on a couple of occasions with some real dumb things. Still, their little confrontations keep the story going.

Obviously the allegations against Clubb overshadow things a little. There'll be an investigation where both sides have their say and hopefully it's done thoroughly. Not much you can speculate on at this point. One thing is pretty clear though - any found guilty of using racist language should receive a significant punishment from the RFL but also their own club. There's no place for it and it has to be dealt with properly or the 14 seconds before the game mean nothing.

18 minutes ago, MZH said:

Not sure I agree. We had our moments but I always felt Wigan looked the more threatening. We had a lot of backs to the wall efforts to stay in the game. Or at least that's how I felt watching it.

We need to be a bit more clinical to win these games. Reynolds coming back should help that a lot.

Wigan manned up.  They looked intent on doing the business.   Not saying Hull were not trying...  They might well have the edge next week.

I wouldn't have Connor at FB in my England side but i would select him at centre. Im sure Makinson would be pleased if i did so.

Connor didn't cost England anything when he played previously. He was an asset. Our problem in this country is we vilify the mavericks.

The guy gave a head shot tonight and got ten. many players give that sort of pen away throughout matches and they do not get the ###### he does.

Not happy with bazzy the pilock calling him a snake..it feeds into the idea that everything he does is underhanded, dirty and sneaky.

He was smart on the line and saved us conceding possibly a try. If that had been one of the blue eyed fellas from another team people would be saying how smart he was.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, jacksy said:

I wouldn't have Connor at FB in my England side but i would select him at centre. Im sure Makinson would be pleased if i did so.

Connor didn't cost England anything when he played previously. He was an asset. Our problem in this country is we vilify the mavericks.

The guy gave a head shot tonight and got ten. many players give that sort of pen away throughout matches and they do not get the ###### he does.

Not happy with bazzy the pilock calling him a snake..it feeds into the idea that everything he does is underhanded, dirty and sneaky.

He was smart on the line and saved us conceding possibly a try. If that had been one of the blue eyed fellas from another team people would be saying how smart he was.

The whole snake thing has been built up by Sky this week as some sort of narrative in an apparent Zak Hardaker v Jake “The Snake” Connor storyline. I can only presume Sky racked their brains trust (Barrie and Terry) this week and they don’t know a word that rhymes with Zak. 

It’s an odd storyline to paint as some sort of rivalry for me, as a neutral and anyone with a bit of a brain and some understanding of basic stats would be talking up Hardaker and Connor’s chances for World Cup selection rather than attempting to paint them out as bitter rivals. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The whole snake thing has been built up by Sky this week as some sort of narrative in an apparent Zak Hardaker v Jake “The Snake” Connor storyline. I can only presume Sky racked their brains trust (Barrie and Terry) this week and they don’t know a word that rhymes with Zak. 

It’s an odd storyline to paint as some sort of rivalry for me, as a neutral and anyone with a bit of a brain and some understanding of basic stats would be talking up Hardaker and Connor’s chances for World Cup selection rather than attempting to paint them out as bitter rivals. 

Focusing so much of the build up on those two got a bit tedious really.

3 minutes ago, jacksy said:

But it was on his 2nd yellow card.  So he was lucky not to get 10 mins.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The Ginger Pearl strikes again!

I just love that Oxymoron. 😄

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

People complain that our sport doesn't do enough to create/promote characters. So if SKY build up the Hardaker/Connor thing why criticise? And actually there did seem to be a bit of genuine needle between the two.

Everyone knows that Connor has no chance of playing FB for England but I'd certainly have him in the squad. He did actually look the part when he played for England and he can cover a few positions.

Hull's most important player remains Sneyd. He can seem limited but where would Hull be without his kicking game and goalkicking? Even on a poor day like today he nearly won it for them.

Thought Brian Carney made a very good point when referencing the non English born players in the England squad (Oledski, Leeming, Sarginson). If Hastings carries on playing like that, can Wane continue to leave him out? It’s nonsensical surely?

Archived