Thu 29 Apr:SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/21 at 19:15

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thought Brian Carney made a very good point when referencing the non English born players in the England squad (Oledski, Leeming, Sarginson). If Hastings carries on playing like that, can Wane continue to leave him out? It’s nonsensical surely?

I didn't think it was at all and was twisting things somewhat. There is a world of difference between those 3 who were brought up, schooled and came through the amateur ranks in England and Hastings who came to England as an adult to play Rugby League after failing in the NRL.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I didn't think it was at all and was twisting things somewhat. There is a world of difference between those 3 who were brought up, schooled and came through the amateur ranks in England and Hastings who came to England as an adult to play Rugby League after failing in the NRL.

Was he twisting things or highlighting a genuine point? I suggest the latter. It’s all semantics and a folly approach. 

He also didn’t fail in the NRL, he had a public falling out at Manly. If he have failed, he wouldn’t be so regularly targeted by clubs in the media there

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

But it was on his 2nd yellow card.  So he was lucky not to get 10 mins.

You are right but he rolled the dice and got away with it. And in the process kept us in the game. We were all over the joint at that PTB.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

One of the things I love about rugby league is the inclusivity. If this is allegation is proven, I don’t want to see Tony Clubb on a rugby pitch again. 

The problem comes with other clubs who employ those who have been guilty of using racist language in the past. 

If you're making a point about boycotting social media, shouldn't you deal with what is on your own doorstep first?

7 hours ago, Damien said:

It’s a good job it’s not an England schools team then. 

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Thought Brian Carney made a very good point when referencing the non English born players in the England squad (Oledski, Leeming, Sarginson). If Hastings carries on playing like that, can Wane continue to leave him out? It’s nonsensical surely?

Firstly, it was a ridiculous comment from Wane about English born players only and Hastings is doing what he can do onfield to put himself in the running. If Hastings continues his early season form, how can you not pick him?

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

The problem comes with other clubs who employ those who have been guilty of using racist language in the past. 

If you're making a point about boycotting social media, shouldn't you deal with what is on your own doorstep first?

I don’t there needs to be or should be a retrospective witch-hunt of past ‘crimes’ but I expect Clubb to be made an example of, if found guilty of a hate crime.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t there needs to be or should be a retrospective witch-hunt of past ‘crimes’ but I expect Clubb to be made an example of, if found guilty of a hate crime.

Firstly, this is an allegation at this stage, although I have no question to believe Savelio would make it up. I agree that he needs to be made an example of and there’s no place for this in our game. However, to bring some perspective to this, is it worse than what Flower did in that grand final, which could have ended someone’s life and pretty much ended his career? And Flower is playing on. 

Clubb may find it difficult to return to the field as he would become a target for the Polynesians in our game. But if he did say it, it would be best for him to come out openly and apologise for something he regrets in the heat of the battle which has no place. 

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

One of the things I love about rugby league is the inclusivity. If this is allegation is proven, I don’t want to see Tony Clubb on a rugby pitch again. 

Burn him! Burn him! Burn hlm!

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Was he twisting things or highlighting a genuine point? I suggest the latter. It’s all semantics and a folly approach. 

He also didn’t fail in the NRL, he had a public falling out at Manly. If he have failed, he wouldn’t be so regularly targeted by clubs in the media there

I think it's stupid trying to categorise players and to put them in a box. Every players circumstance is different and should be treated as such.

Plenty of players have failed in the NRL and then been targeted after doing well in Super League. They are not mutually exclusive.

Anyhow this debate has been done to death on other threads.

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Firstly, this is an allegation at this stage, although I have no question to believe Savelio would make it up. I agree that he needs to be made an example of and there’s no place for this in our game. However, to bring some perspective to this, is it worse than what Flower did in that grand final, which could have ended someone’s life and pretty much ended his career? And Flower is playing on. 

Clubb may find it difficult to return to the field as he would become a target for the Polynesians in our game. But if he did say it, it would be best for him to come out openly and apologise for something he regrets in the heat of the battle which has no place. 

Let’s say a player X did make a racist comment to another player. As player X has been taking the knee for the past year or so and therefore fully aware of rugby league’s intolerance of racism, player X must be pretty deeply racist to make such a comment on the field. 

Maybe player X shouldn’t play a game if he has a problem with players of a different race to his own?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Let’s say a player X did make a racist comment to another player. As player X has been taking the knee for the past year or so and therefore fully aware of rugby league’s intolerance of racism, player X must be pretty deeply racist to make such a comment on the field. 

Maybe player X shouldn’t play a game if he has a problem with players of a different race to his own?

I don’t think you can make that assumption 

48 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

And if found not guilty, I expect his accuser to face the same sanction.  If he is found not guilty, Clubb should seek damages.  

10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

hope it goes without saying, but if Clubb is guilty, he should pay a very heavy price indeed. We don’t have that in our game. 

The precedent was set with Justin Carney, was it 8 matches he got for a comment said to Ryan Bailey.

It doesn't matter what was actually said it was the delivery of it.

Can anyone actually imagine Tony Clubb using the word "Polynesian"? If you had met Tony you would know that "Polynesian" has far too many syllables to be a viable option for him. 

If he has made the comment, throw the book at him. If it is proven beyond doubt that he didn't, then I would expect that book to be flying in Savelio's direction.

13 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Can anyone actually imagine Tony Clubb using the word "Polynesian"? If you had met Tony you would know that "Polynesian" has far too many syllables to be a viable option for him. 

If he has made the comment, throw the book at him. If it is proven beyond doubt that he didn't, then I would expect that book to be flying in Savelio's direction.

Now now, Tony isn't your typical thick northern rugby player, hes a thick southerner.

All jokes aside, I dont know about the racist comment, but I know for a fact you can go back and watch most wigan games he's playing in and see him pull the tomkins scowl face and start gobbing off at opposition players trying to be pre 2006 Stuart fielden and intimidate people.

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Now now, Tony isn't your typical thick northern rugby player, hes a thick southerner.

All jokes aside, I dont know about the racist comment, but I know for a fact you can go back and watch most wigan games he's playing in and see him pull the tomkins scowl face and start gobbing off at opposition players trying to be pre 2006 Stuart fielden and intimidate people.

Wow a prop scowling & sledging,what next,a scrum half passing the ball.

23 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You can’t throw the book at someone for making an accusation. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Firstly, it was a ridiculous comment from Wane about English born players only and Hastings is doing what he can do onfield to put himself in the running. If Hastings continues his early season form, how can you not pick him?

Didn't he say English-born first? Saying 'only' would be a strange thing to say before going on to pick Dan Sarginson for the east Park kick about.

And can anyone tell me why he has picked Dan Sarginson anyway? 

Really like the way this Hull side defend their line, shows a real pride in what they are doing. Still early days under Hodgeon so the attack is going to be a work in progress but plenty of positive signs.

Connor needs to realise he is seen as the pantomime villain and although opposition players get away with patting him on the head after trapping him in goal, if he does the same the ref is more likely to penalise him. Don't give them the opportunity Jake! That said I think he is improving in the full back role, certainly defensively, and we need to remember he only got the role full time in September when Shaul got injured.

The young Hull lads in the pack are certainly impressing this year and Houghton holds it all together very well in the middle. A player I have no doubt is respected far more by his team mates and the opposition then by the fans.

Should be a cracker next week in the cup..

Like other Hull fans on here, I was very pleased with the defensive efforts and overall performance. I no longer wince when the opposition shift the ball wide, it seems in recent seasons that that was all they had to do to score.

Re. the Connor sin binning, I hope they scrutinise the video carefully as it looked to me like the wound that Hardaker suffered was caused by a clash of heads with Ben Macnamara. Connor certainly hit Hardaker high but I wonder if the 10 minutes that Child gave him was due to him thinking it was Connor who caused the injury. After all, Willie Isa hit Tom Johnstone high a few weeks since and wasn't even penalised, even though Johnstone hasn't played since as a direct result of Isa's contact with his head.

I was interested to note that the penalty awarded when Hastings was trying to regain his feet to play the ball under Hull's posts late on was only awarded when Connor put his hand on him as he was going to play the ball. Sneyd shoved Hastings twice when he was getting up, both times I thought worthy of a penalty yet it was only when Connor played a part that Child awarded one.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I hope that, as Hodgson hinted, Josh Reynolds is available for the cup tie a week tomorrow. Much as I think Ben Macnamara may be a decent prospect, I just don't think he's first grade material yet. We clearly need our strongest line up possible against Wigan next week to avoid successive defeats to them.

I think we're in with a shout if Reynolds is fit as otherwise our halves will struggle yet again.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 hours ago, Damien said:

I think this is a fair point. 

Plus, if Hastings or anyone in his position had left Australia and done residency as opposed to the grandmother rule, then that would've been a commitment.  

But he does qualify, he is in his 4th season here, and he did make himself available and did play previously. He is willing to play, he his good and seems a decent bloke. 

It's an awkward issue for an England coach who has to have some thought to local grown talent.  If Hastings had signed up for Wigan for another 3 or 4 years I think he should be in the squad, and thus long term commitment.  As it is he his going back to Australia.

Good luck to Hastings, he comes from Australia and someone there has signed him.  According to his form it's a close call.

Archived