Sun 2 May: The Betfred Women's Super League Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Women's Super League games here.

Featherstone Rovers v Leeds Rhinos KO 12:00
St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 15:00
Wakefield Trinity v Castleford Tigers KO 15:00
Wigan Warriors v Bradford Bulls KO 12:00

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Featherstone Rovers v Leeds Rhinos KO 12:00

This is, apparently, the game being shown on Twitch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This is, apparently, the game being shown on Twitch.

Fev lost 40-6 to Cas last time out so ... I'm going to assume that Leeds will be heavy favourites for this one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Huddersfield be lucky to raise a team due to injuries and player welfare concerns so will be a huge score for Saints.

I spoke with coach and captain last night and they both feel that the results aren't that important at this stage, it's more about the girls' development as players and people, bearing in mind some of them are teenagers, it will be a massive, massive challenge for them, but one they need to further their development.

Obviously they'll want to avoid a really nasty scoreline, but realistically, they're looking to try and be competitive in parts of the game they can control.

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Development is important, but should that be in a "Super League" is an important question.

Thats the problem, until a proper u18's league is set up SL clubs will still take the best community talent and test them to their limits. Unless an absolute stand out player theres no way in my opinion 16 year old girls should be playing against fully grown women. Luckily steps are now in place to have a community u18's league and I think we will see a number of girls leave SL clubs to go back to community teams in the short term.

On 28/04/2021 at 17:54, The Blues Ox said:

Huddersfield be lucky to raise a team due to injuries and player welfare concerns so will be a huge score for Saints.

This is the risk of calling it a "Super League" at women's level. 

Some clubs are obviously well organised, sponsored, decent squads etc while others are the women's equivalent of Leigh. More suited to a more recreational level. 

Not a good look 2 weeks in. 😒

8 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats the problem, until a proper u18's league is set up SL clubs will still take the best community talent and test them to their limits. Unless an absolute stand out player theres no way in my opinion 16 year old girls should be playing against fully grown women. Luckily steps are now in place to have a community u18's league and I think we will see a number of girls leave SL clubs to go back to community teams in the short term.

Would that be likely to result in some clubs having to (temporarily) withdraw their teams from women's super league?

I assume the players getting picked at the moment are considered the best options for selection despite their age, what would be the impact of not having them?

Leeds with the first try, as McCallion forces her way over from the PTB.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tara Moxon scores Leeds' second. Fev 0:10 Leeds

I see there's a Leeds player with the same name as Radio 5's ubiquitous RU cheerleader Eleanor Oldroyd. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I see there's a Leeds player with the same name as Radio 5's ubiquitous RU cheerleader Eleanor Oldroyd. :kolobok_biggrin:

And she scores! Leeds look much more powerful than the home side, so this scoreline could get nasty.

Converted for 0:16

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some good pressure from Rovers, but then Leeds work their way up the field and score their fourth try. 0:20

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fran Goldthorpe making the Fev defence look like mugs with a swerving, brilliantly-balanced run, before a passing move sends Leeds over again.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Akwiwu gets her second, and this is looking like a rout.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hanna Butcher is the latest Leeds player to get a try. If it carries on like this, I'll start listing the players who haven't scored.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Leeds with the first try, as McCallion forces her way over from the PTB.

And it was a genuine PTB. In amongst all the rollballs. Some players are literally chucking the ball between their legs.

A Leeds player was penalised for mucking up her rollball. I`d like the ref to explain what was specifically illegal about that, as distinct from all the other rollballs.

I`ve had enough. Not watching any more horrible rollballs. Twitch are offering "Hot Tub Gaming" and "Hot Tub Bikini" as alternatives. 

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

And it was a genuine PTB. In amongst all the rollballs. Some players are literally chucking the ball between their legs.

A Leeds player was penalised for mucking up her rollball. I`d like the ref to explain what was specifically illegal about that, as distinct from all the other rollballs.

I`ve had enough. Not watching any more horrible rollballs. Twitch are offering "Hot Tub Gaming" and "Hot Tub Bikini" as alternatives. 

Death, taxes and the above...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Caitlin Beevers makes it 0:40 with ktc.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hanna Butcher is the latest Leeds player to get a try. If it carries on like this, I'll start listing the players who haven't scored.

If Saints, Cas, and Wigan have similarly big victories today, it will be clear that we have a de facto four-team women`s SL.

I could still watch and enjoy all the games, however one-sided, if it weren`t for...

I feel genuine sadness at losing interest in UK RL. 

Switching over to the MotoGP now - will check back on this match, hoping Fev get on the board.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived