Sun 2 May: The Betfred Women's Super League Match Thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If Saints, Cas, and Wigan have similarly big victories today, it will be clear that we have a de facto four-team women`s SL.

I could still watch and enjoy all the games, however one-sided, if it weren`t for...

I feel genuine sadness at losing interest in UK RL. 

Huddersfield will do well to hold Saints under 100 today but it could be a chance for Saints to try a few players.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Akwiwu gets her second, and this is looking like a rout.

Even at U14 level it was clear she were destined for great things. Even at that age she already had one of the best hand offs ive ever seen in all my time watching the game. Future international star.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Huddersfield will do well to hold Saints under 100 today but it could be a chance for Saints to try a few players.

90-0

Looks like the de-facto 4 team league unapologetic pedant mentioned, unfortunately. But early days. hopefully they give it a few years and teams get more competitive

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

All 4 games seeing opposition nilled. Hopefully see some improvement across the season from those fledgling SL clubs.

It is a steep learning curve for a lot of them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some of the sidebar chat during the match was about how Fev have had a lot of players poached, so let's hope things settle down a bit as things go on.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

47 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

90-0

Looks like the de-facto 4 team league unapologetic pedant mentioned, unfortunately. But early days. hopefully they give it a few years and teams get more competitive

Id imagine the opposite will happen and the scores could get worse. I mean getting battered like that does nothing for the development of 16 year old girls and I think a lot will head back to community clubs to play against the standard of players that they should be doing which will actually aid their development. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Some of the sidebar chat during the match was about how Fev have had a lot of players poached, so let's hope things settle down a bit as things go on.

A good advert for a wider geographical footprint for the women's SL. The game is exciting and fast paced which would suit women across the UK. Excited to hear about London and Wales.

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

League Weekly being sexist isn’t how I thought Sunday evening would go but here we are. 

It’s always the ones you most expect

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It’s always the ones you most expect

Feeling a bit ' sore ' are we ? 

Rather than having professional clubs dragging every last player with any talent size or speed down to fill their squads they should be helping more local community clubs to have women's teams at junior levels if that's what those clubs want to do , then eventually when the playing numbers are big enough , build your ' Super League ' , it's plainly obvious to anybody with more than half a brain the numbers aren't there ATM , and having 4 clubs just pummeling the rest will not result in increased numbers 

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Rather than having professional clubs dragging every last player with any talent size or speed down to fill their squads they should be helping more local community clubs to have women's teams at junior levels if that's what those clubs want to do , then eventually when the playing numbers are big enough , build your ' Super League ' , it's plainly obvious to anybody with more than half a brain the numbers aren't there ATM , and having 4 clubs just pummeling the rest will not result in increased numbers 

Your SL ?? wow

Will games feature on the Our League app?

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

In fairness, the Huddersfield team is set up, funded and organised by the community trust, and are not remotely professional.

It's basically a development pathway team for girls from community clubs around the area, they are fully aware and comfortable with the fact that they're going to get some beatings and aren't going to be competing at the top, it's only the teams 2nd year in existence and first in super league.

While I do kind of agree with the sentiment about having such a gap in competitiveness, these girls have to start somewhere, they want to try and improve themselves by playing against the cream of the women's game and good on them.

It's not necessarily about winning but learning and gaining experience, having access to good facilities and to professional coaches, conditioners etc can only be good for the long term development, and that's what they're about.

One thing they are using as motivation is that Castleford didn't win a game for over a year but gradually improved and got stronger.

I just think people should be a bit more supportive of these girls that are wanting to play the game rather than pulling them down because they aren't too class.

8 minutes ago, meast said:

In fairness, the Huddersfield team is set up, funded and organised by the community trust, and are not remotely professional.

It's basically a development pathway team for girls from community clubs around the area, they are fully aware and comfortable with the fact that they're going to get some beatings and aren't going to be competing at the top, it's only the teams 2nd year in existence and first in super league.

While I do kind of agree with the sentiment about having such a gap in competitiveness, these girls have to start somewhere, they want to try and improve themselves by playing against the cream of the women's game and good on them.

It's not necessarily about winning but learning and gaining experience, having access to good facilities and to professional coaches, conditioners etc can only be good for the long term development, and that's what they're about.

One thing they are using as motivation is that Castleford didn't win a game for over a year but gradually improved and got stronger.

I just think people should be a bit more supportive of these girls that are wanting to play the game rather than pulling them down because they aren't too class.

It's a numbers game pure and simple , the pro clubs can provide the ' professional ' support to their local community clubs , it doesn't need an elite system until the numbers are there , we've seen it in the formation of ' super ' amateur clubs , where players are ' encouraged ' to go to to get picked up by pro clubs , St Pat's in Wigan , Blackbrook at Saints , it doesn't help development , it stifles it , stick all the big kids with all the fast kids with all the good kids and it's " oh aren't they wonderful , battering everybody " , but those players don't improve , good kids at other clubs don't develop 

All only my opinion , I'm not an expert in these things like everybody else on these boards 

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id imagine the opposite will happen and the scores could get worse. I mean getting battered like that does nothing for the development of 16 year old girls and I think a lot will head back to community clubs to play against the standard of players that they should be doing which will actually aid their development

The problem is, the Women's " Super League" is not about development.

It's about creating a high performance environment for women players and providing a performance pathway to the national team.

Other leagues should be taking care of "development". Like the community leagues that @GUBRATS mentions above.

The problem is the League has been created too big, too soon.

If only 4 teams are at that level initially, then really we should have started with 4 (or more likely 6) teams with a view to growing in future.

Posters on here somewhat patronisingly mention "development" and inexperienced "16 year old girls" playing games etc, but that is basically the problem. Rugby League in england has very little history of women participating in any sizeable numbers. So instead of trying to match up to other sports with this "Super League" concentrate on starting small, and building in future years. Fixture lists can be padded out in the first couple of years with group stages in Cup competitions/England camp weekends etc to supplement a smaller SuperLeague fixture list.

Bradford getting hammered 86-0 or York City Knights getting beasted by 60-odd does nothing for the credibility of our "elite" 😏 competition, and neither does teams throwing in very young teenagers who have hardly played the game. 90-0 FFS.

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Not remotely.

In this regard, you're coming up with an insanely complicated pathway simply because some blokes seem to object to the top tier of women's rugby league being called Super, having its results on a few websites, and there being one whole match a week on Twitch (and a whopping fifteen minute slot on Sky), until such time as all matches can be guaranteed to pass some unknown 'non embarrassing' test.

Participation will continue to increase, standards will continue to rise. It's that simple.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's a numbers game pure and simple , the pro clubs can provide the ' professional ' support to their local community clubs , it doesn't need an elite system until the numbers are there , we've seen it in the formation of ' super ' amateur clubs , where players are ' encouraged ' to go to to get picked up by pro clubs , St Pat's in Wigan , Blackbrook at Saints , it doesn't help development , it stifles it , stick all the big kids with all the fast kids with all the good kids and it's " oh aren't they wonderful , battering everybody " , but those players don't improve , good kids at other clubs don't develop 

All only my opinion , I'm not an expert in these things like everybody else on these boards 

That's the problem in that these so called professional clubs go in to community club under the guise of offering help and support but all it boils down to is that they are going in to the clubs to take all the best talent from the U16's age group and as soon as they get them there is a distinct withdrawal of that help and support. These girls at that age for the most part are not ready to be thrown in to SL games and their development would be better aided staying at their community clubs which we will see more of especially with the U18's league getting set up. 

Huddersfield in particular after what they have been seen to do this past year or so will,in my opinion, struggle to bring girls in from the local area in the near future.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

That's the problem in that these so called professional clubs go in to community club under the guise of offering help and support but all it boils down to is that they are going in to the clubs to take all the best talent from the U16's age group and as soon as they get them there is a distinct withdrawal of that help and support. These girls at that age for the most part are not ready to be thrown in to SL games and their development would be better aided staying at their community clubs which we will see more of especially with the U18's league getting set up. 

Huddersfield in particular after what they have been seen to do this past year or so will,in my opinion, struggle to bring girls in from the local area in the near future.

I have virtually zero knowledge of women's RL , as I've posted before , I'm not really a fan , to me the game just doesn't suit the female physique , but even I can see that it isn't ready for pro club involvement , it needs larger numbers of girls to play the sport for longer periods of time to then form an elite competition 

So other posters feel free to label me as a mysoginistic dinosaur if you want just to appease your PC stance no matter what the reality is 

Archived