Match Thread: Championship Round 5, York v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-9th-May-2021

marklaspalmas

No game this weekend, so the next match is a biggie, away to fancied top club York. They got a much bigger win than us at Swinton, so who knows.

Team news: James Harrison is now 4-6 weeks with a broken foot, Fergie's hammy looks a long term thing also.

From the Haven match, Ferres, Minns and Blackmore all came off injured, so let's see where they are.

Some will see this game as our first real test against a title rival.

It'll be on Our League, and fingers crossed, the last match to be played behind closed doors.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

No game this weekend, so the next match is a biggie, away to fancied top club York. They got a much bigger win than us at Swinton, so who knows.

Team news: James Harrison is now 4-6 weeks with a broken foot, Fergie's hammy looks a long term thing also.

From the Haven match, Ferres, Minns and Blackmore all came off injured, so let's see where they are.

Some will see this game as our first real test against a title rival.

It'll be on Our League, and fingers crossed, the last match to be played behind closed doors.

Webbo says in today's YEP that Ferres, Welham, Minns and Blackmore are all expected to be available for York. Confirms that Harrison is expected to be out for a further month.

On 28/04/2021 at 14:04, Michael Bates said:

Will be our first real test. If we spill as much ball as we have done over the course of the season so far we'll get punished. If we turn our 20 minute bursts into a sustained performance we should come out on top.

I thought Batley was your first real test. It was no easy game for you.

10 hours ago, Dog forever said:

I thought Batley was your first real test. It was no easy game for you.

Batley was your first real test.NO our first real test was oldham in the friendly  first game after a year out 

no easy game for you. BATLEY are a good well coached side and played well and because of our tardiness often made it difficult for us  at times but six tries in each game would suggest comfortable wins in the end

YORK CITY KNIGHTS V FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

Sunday 9th May
LNER Community Stadium | KO : 19:30

Referee C. Kendall
Touch Judge 1 N. Horton
Touch Judge 2 W. Turley
Reserve Referee M. Smaill
Time Keeper S. Marshall

Think our line-up is getting slightly easier to predict with each passing week. I think Halton will come back into the 17 (Webster said he was rested against Whitehaven), probably on the bench at the expense of Hardcastle (or maybe Davies), which would leave Josh and Minns fighting it out for the centre position alongside Welham.

Obviously the big question is who plays half back, Holmes has had two outstanding games so presumably it's between Brown and Chisholm. I'm certain if you polled Fev fans most would want Chisholm back in but I suspect it's a tight call, Brown has played well and apart from one lapse against Bradford a few weeks ago his defence has been good too. Personally I think you could justify either decision, I'd probably go with Chisholm if he's been training well but can definitely see why Webster might want to stick with a winning team, and if he plays Chisholm on the right hand side (which isn't his favoured side but Holmes has been going so well on the left) he'd be defending against Ryan Atkins and he tends to struggle against bigger centres.

I suppose the alternative is to play Brown at 9 but I'm not sure he gets the room to take on defences from that position.

For the last few years these threads have usually included reference to which players we'd be able to use from our SL loanees/DRs, so here's the news for those who have missed that aspect of the match threads. York will still be able to call upon the services of Riley Dean (season-long loan from Warrington), at one stage recently they had four other loanees on their books. Lewis Peachey has been recalled to C*s, Joe Keyes has been recalled by Hull KR, and Connor Wynne has been recalled by Hull this week, I think they still have Yusuf Aydin from Wakefield. It does seem that the new 2-week loan arrangements is only a whisper away from DR, but York had a lot of injuries so had little choice.

They seem to be getting back to health now so we will need to play well, complete our sets and avoid silly turnovers especially interceptions to their two speedy wingers. Webster talked about the "fear factor" inspiring our big win away at London last year and hopefully the challenge of playing away against what is clearly one of the stronger/higher profile teams in the division will focus our minds again.

16 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

If Welham and Blackmoor aren’t fit we look a little light in the 3/4s

14 hours ago, haskey said:

I agree with you Cardypaul

Don't worry whinos not playing this week so we'll borrow one of theirs ⛹️‍♂️ 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Archived