Match Thread: Championship Round 5, York v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-9th-May-2021

marklaspalmas

Nerve jangling but I’d rather watch that sort of game than a 70-0 .... great pace from Chizzy for the block and the ball sat up lovely for Hall who’d anticipated the bounce fantastically 

Great win #UTR

Forza Fev

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not playing near what i would expect with our squad of players.thought John Davies yellow card was a bit harsh no malice intended.Gale,Chizzy ,Davies and Bussey the pick for me.But we won because Parata speeded the game up round the ruck when he came on.Missed goal kicks again could have proved costly we need to sort that out.Just a word for Danny Kirmond i think he tackled himself to a standstill in the first half against his old club.

Crazy game - just a few thoughts.....

Tough to watch at times but hasn't every game been this year ? 

Yorks defence was excellent but I thought we deserved it (I would say that)

Too many mistakes again - we'll be dangerous if we cut those out. 

Chizzy was back to his best but I hope the move to FB isn't permanent.  

All those who were calling for Hall to be sacked as goalkicker (and dropped completely) whats plan C ??

Gale - wow

I thought we responded really well to things going against us -some brought on by ourselves others not so.  Not getting into the usual dodgy ref debate but lets just say.....we won and Kendal gets kicked in the head - talk about Karma.......

6 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Crazy game - just a few thoughts.....

Tough to watch at times but hasn't every game been this year ? 

Yorks defence was excellent but I thought we deserved it (I would say that)

Too many mistakes again - we'll be dangerous if we cut those out. 

Chizzy was back to his best but I hope the move to FB isn't permanent.  

All those who were calling for Hall to be sacked as goalkicker (and dropped completely) whats plan C ??

Gale - wow

I thought we responded really well to things going against us -some brought on by ourselves others not so.  Not getting into the usual dodgy ref debate but lets just say.....we won and Kendal gets kicked in the head - talk about Karma.......

Agree with most of that. When Chissy made that dramatic charge down, did anyone else have an immediate flashback to the home game against Halifax when Davies shot out of the line to prevent a drop goal and the play ended up with Misi charging upfield for what looked a certain try, only for the touch judge to tell Kendall we were offside for the winning penalty against us? I must admit as Hall was racing away I wasn't watching him, I had my eyes on the right hand of the screen to see if Kendall was following him or still 10 yards from our line awarding a penalty....

What a finish . Kopczak s was a try , no doubt about it. I thought Hall had a poor game again but what a way to finish, his experience in the end told., especially when near the line he went off at an angle to cut Dixons chance of a tackle. The only down side was the goal kicking,it needs sorting.

Chizzy was a revelation at full back.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I must admit as Hall was racing away I wasn't watching him, I had my eyes on the right hand of the screen to see if Kendall was following him or still 10 yards from our line awarding a penalty....

Yes. As soon as the charge down happened I was fixed on looking for the ref.

From the clip chiz was off his mark like lightening ..... from an onside position..... And chiz had a blinder.

what peeves me is  some of our decisions on the last tackle last night before JD got binned York were  blowing  but when we got close to line instead of keeping the ball and make them keep tackling to then bring the ball out from their line putting them under more pressure  we try sometimes silly little kicks along the ground save the kicks to bombard wingers when   were 20+ meters from the line 

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Yes. As soon as the charge down happened I was fixed on looking for the ref.

From the clip chiz was off his mark like lightening ..... from an onside position..... And chiz had a blinder.

RH chizzy was stood next to the hapless Kendall who took us back to the line which looked more than ten as comm said "DRAGGED BACK A BIG 10"

I think one thing that's become clear is that most teams have worked out that the best way to play us is to try and gain near-maximum set completion, do five drives and a kick and try to prey on any mistakes we might make.

For most of the game York barely went beyond the first and second receiver, that's not a criticism of them, they have a scratch half back combination and especially once they went two scores up they put the onus on us to create opportunities which was a smart approach.

I thought we countered this pretty well, I remember looking at the clock after half an hour had been played and I couldn't remember a single handling error from either side. We were able to make plenty of metres whilst playing direct, low-risk rugby, we just lacked a bit of a cutting edge (barring Gale) when we reached their 20, but they defended their goal line very well too.

A few errors crept into the game from both sides in the last 20 minutes but that was surely down to fatigue,

Overall I was happy enough with how we played. I think York will finish top 3, with maybe Batley snapping at their heels.

Only caught the 2nd half live, but great game, and I thought Fev (just!) deserved the result. Knights fans will be having their own inquest about the three shocking tackle attempts on Gale for his first try 🤐

Our depleted interchange bench for 2nd half saw our pack really gassed, and I think that was probably the most important factor (especially when Perata got going, who, as a Knights fan, I think is fantastic). I thought the random Kendall decision generator was evenly enough distributed not to swing the match decisively (but still infuriating!)

Right, back to putting the furniture back together, and wiping the spittle off my screen.....

Looking forward to the return at POR, and remember, if you think there's some improvement left in Fev, there certainly is in the Knights 😀

40 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Only caught the 2nd half live, but great game, and I thought Fev (just!) deserved the result. Knights fans will be having their own inquest about the three shocking tackle attempts on Gale for his first try 🤐

Our depleted interchange bench for 2nd half saw our pack really gassed, and I think that was probably the most important factor (especially when Perata got going, who, as a Knights fan, I think is fantastic). I thought the random Kendall decision generator was evenly enough distributed not to swing the match decisively (but still infuriating!)

Right, back to putting the furniture back together, and wiping the spittle off my screen.....

Looking forward to the return at POR, and remember, if you think there's some improvement left in Fev, there certainly is in the Knights 😀

You might want to watch this to see how 'easy' it is to tackle him

5 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

How was Kopczak's (I think) effort that led to the penalty to make it 12-12 not a try? It looked as clear as day to me. Granted I was watching on my phone.

Because the hapless kendell didn't see the grounding but got there when york had hands on the ball BUT didn't do the same for salter who grounded the ball short 

17 minutes ago, POR said:

Because the hapless kendell didn't see the grounding but got there when york had hands on the ball BUT didn't do the same for salter who grounded the ball short 

I've just watched again. It looked as clear as day that it was a try from the camera angle. Though Prycey was calling it short, it didn't look it to me.

The ref can only give what he sees.... a video ref call might have been interesting. 

35 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I've just watched again. It looked as clear as day that it was a try from the camera angle. Though Prycey was calling it short, it didn't look it to me.

The ref can only give what he sees.... a video ref call might have been interesting. 

That's not exactly true according to the laws: the ref does not have to see the ball grounded to award a try and should give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side. 

34 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Mr Kendall, probably "levelling things up", as the whole break started from a penalty against Dean Atkins letting out a howl of anguish as he was called "Held" when he quite obviously wasn't ! 🤣 (and was letting go of a good off-load....)

Agree, could see no reason why the try wasn't given.

50 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Mr Kendall, probably "levelling things up", as the whole break started from a penalty against Dean Atkins letting out a howl of anguish as he was called "Held" when he quite obviously wasn't ! 🤣 (and was letting go of a good off-load....)

Agree, could see no reason why the try wasn't given.

Yeah.... Kendall called early.... too early.... which drew a gob full.... which was daft.

He wasn't held and again, it's clear from the vid he wasn't held..... but chelpin at the ref is only ever going to end one way.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

It was the half hearted / belated attempt to actually bend his back and have a good look at where the ball was which was the frustrating thing.  I thought the pass for Gale's second try was forward though.  Not sure if thats Kendall levelling things up or he's twice as bad as we thought.

2 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

It was the half hearted / belated attempt to actually bend his back and have a good look at where the ball was which was the frustrating thing.  I thought the pass for Gale's second try was forward though.  Not sure if thats Kendall levelling things up or he's twice as bad as we thought.

You know my stance on referees. I don't believe they're bent, or ever have been. But I think there have been some refs, like some players who just aren't up to it. I'm not putting kendall in that bracket, but he wasn't good yesterday

Some of kendall's decisions last night were confusing, as we're some of his signalling and communicating. He, like players can and do have bad games. He had a poor game for me.

The penalty for chelping was unforgivable. But he wasn't held by any means.

As you say He missed the forrad pass for Gale and the held up/short/2:1 strip....I'm convinced was a try. His signals made it unclear what his actual final decision was.

I still think we were 2-3 scores better than York were last night and But for sh itty discipline and brain farts the drop goal would not have come into it.

Roll on Monday. 

30 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

REALLY  I think the pass looking forward was something to do with the camera angle  the touchy was level with gareth and saw nothing wrong would have told ref if pass was forward  he didn't so nowt wrong with it

Archived