Food that is Unique to the UK.

Pattie and chips anyone?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Pattie and chips anyone?

I'm guessing a pattie might be different around the country?

In West Cumbria growing up, the pattie and chips at Cueto's (same family as union player Mark Cueto) were legendary

Consists of - 2 thick slices of potato, with minced beef in the middle of them, then battered, then deep fried

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Thing is some of what we think are replicated just in the UK are used under different guises elsewhere. 

Lancashire Hotpot

Yorkshire Pudding 

Even the Sunday Roast.

Most things are. When a hungry person looks at ingredients, many of the same ideas occur to people of different countries.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

But is it one slice of bread folded in half with 2 fish fingers in it..... or a whole slice of bread with 4 fish fingers on it and another slice of bread on top? 

Oh you know.

Bloody half pint, half sandwich nonsense.

After watching many food shows I think there was something quite unique about the British approach to breakfast being a separate set of dishes. Yes the American Kellogg's popularised cereal and milk but from what I have seen around the world other countries just have food and is interchangeable between the day.

19 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Bubble and squeak.

Champ and Colcannon are variations on the same general idea. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I was a lad Sheeps Head Broth was popular in West Cumberland - Get the butcher to split the sheep's head into halves, wash these clean, and put them into a boiling-pot of water and leave to boil, skim it well, really well, add carrots, turnips, onions, leeks etc, season with pepper and salt. Some added rice as well.  You could eat this hot as a broth or next day eat the cold meat off the head. I was told the English used to skin the head but  the Scots only used to burn the hair off before cooking.  The eyes, of course were left in.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

14 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

When I was a lad Sheeps Head Broth was popular in West Cumberland - Get the butcher to split the sheep's head into halves, wash these clean, and put them into a boiling-pot of water and leave to boil, skim it well, really well, add carrots, turnips, onions, leeks etc, season with pepper and salt. Some added rice as well.  You could eat this hot as a broth or next day eat the cold meat off the head. I was told the English used to skin the head but  the Scots only used to burn the hair off before cooking.  The eyes, of course were left in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalahove

Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ah. I don't know those.

French?

Are they 'variations' in the same loose sense as black pudding/morcilla?

Both Irish, and made from mashed potatoes with various greens (onions, cabbage etc. - not necessarily leftovers, though) mixed in.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived