1895 Cup semi finals, we have drawn...

Would have loved to have played them at Wembley assuming we won the semi.

Brings back one of my earliest memories when we played them in a Challenge Cup semi at Swinton. My dad took me. Remember a couple of Fev lads chasing a couple of Widnes lads from the centre of the pitch at half time and placing s Fev scarf there in place of the Widnes one.

34 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Would have loved to have played them at Wembley assuming we won the semi.

Brings back one of my earliest memories when we played them in a Challenge Cup semi at Swinton. My dad took me. Remember a couple of Fev lads chasing a couple of Widnes lads from the centre of the pitch at half time and placing s Fev scarf there in place of the Widnes one.

We were 9-0 up at 1/2 time but lost 16-9 if i remember correctly. 

13 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

We went to pieces after losing Phil Butler just before half-time. On course for the double before then, running away with the league, but we then also lost John Newlove for the rest of the season and weren't the same without our regular half-backs.

Ray Dutton kicked us to death in the second half with the wind behind him and we couldn't get out of our own half.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

On 28/04/2021 at 19:27, MADREDNIGE said:

I'm writing this in the vain hope someone will read it. 

Yes it was 9-0. Steve Quinn kicked a pen just before half time from miles out. 

Both teams tapped penalties when playing from right to left from the main stand because, no exaggeration a force 8 gale. 

Butler got injured (shoulder I think) half way through the game. He was bossing Reg Bowden until that point. 

I think the final score was 15-9. Mick Adams the 2nd row of Widnes controlled the 2nd half and I think that Mick George scored their try near the end to seal things. 

One of our star forwards had worked nights and came straight off shift to play. No names required. 

I remember being so disappointed in the end. I was only 9 and was looking forward to going to Wembley. 

Widnes got their Rses ripped a new one at Wembley by the Saints, so justice prevailed. 

Still remember some of the Widnes players. (no particular order) 

Dutton, George, Adams, Laughton, Foran, Ramsey, O'Neill, Eckersley, Wright, Hughes, Bowden, Wood, Aspey. 

Hey Ho. 

AV. 

My most crystal clear memory of Widnes was the day that I started going with my mates. 

Fev had been promoted in 1979/80 and Vinchente had coached the team to a decent first half back in Div 1. 

The rot though had just set in after the novelty of promotion and the initial momentum. 

Peter was on the transfer list (the most loyal player ever) and Michael the captain was ruffling feathers. 

Narrow ###### nipping victories over underdogs Keighley and Swinton respectively ensured the Rovers progressed to the Quarter Finals. 

Home tie v Cup Favourites Widnes. 

Got into the ground early, nobody about, within an hour bedlam broke loose. The whole (it seemed) of Merseyside streamed into the ground. 

Nasty, nasty scenes ensued in the 7800 crowd before, during and after the game. 

Widnes boasted an international line up of Burke, Wright, Hughes, Cunningham, Gregory, Adams, Gorley, Lockwood, Elwell, as well as other excellent players, Bentley, George, Prescott, O'Neill. 

That day they ripped us apart. 

20 odd 5 rings a bell, with a solitary Ken Kellett try that I missed as I was walking home. 

A terrible day but a few coffers in the tin. 

We only scraped another 1 or 2 wins that season and scraped survival by the skin of. 

• 3 weeks later...

Should use this fixture as an opposed training session, rest some big units and half backs as well....... A trip to Wembley as a curtain raiser team, side show or injuries and suspensions in the semis is the last thing we need......if the prize money was worth it, it would be a different thing....... 

21 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Should use this fixture as an opposed training session, rest some big units and half backs as well....... A trip to Wembley as a curtain raiser team, side show or injuries and suspensions in the semis is the last thing we need......if the prize money was worth it, it would be a different thing....... 

Seriously, there's can't be any chance of that happening. For most of our lads the chance to play at Wembley will be a dream come true, same for our chairman to lead the club out. A nationally televised final too, with all the exposure that brings. Not to mention the fans too, plenty of whom I'm sure would love the chance to go and watch Fev at Wembley (again, for some of us of a certain age...).

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Seriously, there's can't be any chance of that happening. For most of our lads the chance to play at Wembley will be a dream come true, same for our chairman to lead the club out. A nationally televised final too, with all the exposure that brings. Not to mention the fans too, plenty of whom I'm sure would love the chance to go and watch Fev at Wembley (again, for some of us of a certain age...).

I understand, fair enough.

It's not the Challenge Cup though PH. I'd think different if the Prize Purse was great or we were looking like a mid table finish. Seems to me its just a device to boost the CC gate by a couple of thousand, nothing more.

If Tom Holmes or Dane Chisholm get injured in the Semi or Final of the Sundecks it'll be a lot more than very disappointing. (like Tom did in the Summer Bash) that's my train of thought.           

21 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I understand, fair enough.

It's not the Challenge Cup though PH. I'd think different if the Prize Purse was great or we were looking like a mid table finish. Seems to me its just a device to boost the CC gate by a couple of thousand, nothing more.

If Tom Holmes or Dane Chisholm get injured in the Semi or Final of the Sundecks it'll be a lot more than very disappointing. (like Tom did in the Summer Bash) that's my train of thought.           

It's a fair point, the more games you play, the more injuries are possible.

I think most people closely involved with the club, and particularly the players, will want to have a crack at playing at Wembley. Really, it's like the old Northern Rail final except at a much bigger stadium.

According to  RFL 

“It’s great that fans will be able to attend these mouthwatering matches, and also that we can show the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup Semi Finals free on Our League to a wider audience, as we did in the inaugural competition in 2019 when they attracted excellent streaming figures. 

On 18/05/2021 at 09:38, Smudger06 said:

sorry to upset you  S but skybet

https://m.skybet.com/rugby-league/1895-cup/event/26889091

Archived