North Wales Crusaders moving to Colwyn Bay

Just been announced that North Wales Crusaders are moving to the 6,000 capacity Zip World Stadium (Eirias Park) in Colwyn Bay.

The stadium is also home to RGC 1404 (the union equivalent of North Wales Crusaders) and also the home ground for the Wales A team for the rugby union six nations. So we are moving to North Wales premier rugby venue.

I was disappointed to hear at a fans forum on Zoom earlier tonight that Wrexham Council have no interest in rugby league in the town whatsoever. On the other hand, Conwy Council are very keen to have us in Colwyn Bay.

The news was positively received by fans on the forum and the players are by all accounts very excited about the move.

http://northwalescrusaders.com/news/new-home-for-crusaders-in-2021/

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Just been announced that North Wales Crusaders are moving to the 6,000 capacity Zip World Stadium (Eirias Park) in Colwyn Bay.

The stadium is also home to RGC 1404 (the union equivalent of North Wales Crusaders) and also the home ground for the Wales A team for the rugby union six nations. So we are moving to North Wales premier rugby venue.

I was disappointed to hear at a fans forum on Zoom earlier tonight that Wrexham Council have no interest in rugby league in the town whatsoever. On the other hand, Conwy Council are very keen to have us in Colwyn Bay.

The news was positively received by fans on the forum and the players are by all accounts very excited about the move.

That could well be a great move 

Could attract loads of tourists from along the North Wales coast line 

9 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Hope it all goes well!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

This is great news. While I have fond memories of trips to Queensway the facilities needed to be better for the club to kick on. I just hope you continue to serve Wrexham lager! 

There appears to be an athletics track at this venue.

Do you know the number of seats available,or whether standing is allowed behind the posts?

Difficult to guess from the photos on Google Maps.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

There appears to be an athletics track at this venue.

Do you know the number of seats available,or whether standing is allowed behind the posts?

Difficult to guess from the photos on Google Maps.

The main stand seats around 2,500 with open terracing for another 3,000 at either end of the stand, so all on one side of the pitch. On the opposite side there are hospitality boxes. Behind the goals there is a grass bank at one end and a gymnasium/indoor pitch at the other end.

The stadium is located in a large municipal park. Some more info on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eirias_Stadium

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

I have met a lot of people from Wrexham through work and various travels and they all seem to be mad football fans (we tend to talk about old Wrexham v Barrow matches, typically always played in a foot of snow in our memories), and with a sense of nationalistic pride in rugby union too.

When I happen to mention they have a rugby league team they have all pivoted and provided incredibly negative comments ranging from laughing at the club, and League as a sport, to one chap almost becoming incredibly angry and almost asking me outside in the car park because I was a league fan.

I fully appreciate this may not be reflective of Wrexham folk in general, and more just the circles I hang around in. But I've always had in my mind the Wrexham doesnt like TGG. 

Colwyn bay on a summer day looks a good day out. Let's hope it works out. 

With my father's side from this area and having travelled the coastline here often on my once frequent visits to see relatives, I always like to hear reports on RL's progress here. It seems like an excellent move and hopefully embraced by the public. I wonder how many of the regulars at Wrexham will travel to see the team at its new location once crowds are allowed back?    

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Very sad for Wrexham who if they were prepared to actually get a proper stadium, not that athletics track, could have built something special with the RFU looking to move a team north. 

Certainly makes for a better away day for fans and I hope it's the start of a resurgence for NWC.

The RFU are moving into North Wales?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Sounds positive in terms of facilities and the local council. Must be an hour or so’s drive though, I hope the existing fans stick with them. 

Eddie the intention is to run a bus from Wrexham so a match day ticket plus transport would be about £17 say. Season ticket holders would be asked to make a donation, we’ll have to see how it pans out. For me i travel 10 minutes to the Queensway now it will be 40 minutes to Eirias Park, not the end of the world. No doubt a few won’t travel and unfortunately will be lost but I think we’ll pick up a lot more support from the move. With the squad we’ve got for this year keep an eye out for us mate.

9 hours ago, fearnowt said:

The main stand seats around 2,500 with open terracing for another 3,000 at either end of the stand, so all on one side of the pitch. On the opposite side there are hospitality boxes. Behind the goals there is a grass bank at one end and a gymnasium/indoor pitch at the other end.

The stadium is located in a large municipal park. Some more info on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eirias_Stadium

Stadiwm Zip World ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

Eddie the intention is to run a bus from Wrexham so a match day ticket plus transport would be about £17 say. Season ticket holders would be asked to make a donation, we’ll have to see how it pans out. For me i travel 10 minutes to the Queensway now it will be 40 minutes to Eirias Park, not the end of the world. No doubt a few won’t travel and unfortunately will be lost but I think we’ll pick up a lot more support from the move. With the squad we’ve got for this year keep an eye out for us mate.

Good luck with the move, hope it works out for you guys. I go to North Wales a fair bit for recreation so will be taking in a game or two this summer once we are allowed, that is something I would not do at Wrexham.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Stadiwm Zip World ...

and if anyone goes with kids i can highly recommend Zip World (support the sponsors).. did it last summer, and i have an issue with heights, and all the family loved it! 

Seeing that half the population of Warrington hang out on the North Wales Coast every weekend this could be a rather smart move.

Instead of crashing out in the caravan after the lunchtime ale they could go along to a match 😄🍺

Just hope the remarks about a running track prove unfounded 🤪

For me personally, a bit of a shame. I live a few hours away, but when I'm home visiting family I try and get to a few home games as year at the Queensway stadium. Adding another two hour round trip to get up to Colwyn bay means I can't see myself going to any games in future, but I'll still be a supporter

11 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I have met a lot of people from Wrexham through work and various travels and they all seem to be mad football fans (we tend to talk about old Wrexham v Barrow matches, typically always played in a foot of snow in our memories), and with a sense of nationalistic pride in rugby union too.

When I happen to mention they have a rugby league team they have all pivoted and provided incredibly negative comments ranging from laughing at the club, and League as a sport, to one chap almost becoming incredibly angry and almost asking me outside in the car park because I was a league fan.

I fully appreciate this may not be reflective of Wrexham folk in general, and more just the circles I hang around in. But I've always had in my mind the Wrexham doesnt like TGG. 

Colwyn bay on a summer day looks a good day out. Let's hope it works out. 

I hope you took up the offer from that chap and gave him a good shoeing 🙂

I wonder if the council are throwing all their eggs in the basket of the football club, now they have famous owners. Sad because there's room for lil ol rugby league

Hmm... potential Summer Bash venue too?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think Bash would only ever really work at Blackpool. Colwyn Bay isn't really that kind of town.

Pleasant surprise to see the positive reaction to the news. Would have thought the football ground would be more suitable but it looks like Conwy Council are a driving force and presumably they own Eirias.

Personally, I find it a bit of a shame considering even post-Super League there was a spell when Crusaders were regularly getting over 1,000 at the Racecourse.

Hopefully this move works out though. I've got a trip lined up to Llandudno this summer so might pop along if the fixtures land kindly, having seen seen Crusaders (Mk I and Mk II) at the Racecourse and Cefn Druids. And Bridgend if we're counting that...

17 hours ago, fearnowt said:

On the face of it, when it comes to attracting support in North Wales, Colwyn Bay seems much better located than Wrexham. More at the centre of the region. Look forward to visiting this summer.

Archived