North Wales Crusaders moving to Colwyn Bay

how was the demographic of the supporters spread does anyone know?

was it mostly Wrexham centric or is this perhaps moving closed to where the support was?

have no idea, just asking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I hope you took up the offer from that chap and gave him a good shoeing 🙂

I wonder if the council are throwing all their eggs in the basket of the football club, now they have famous owners. Sad because there's room for lil ol rugby league

Some of the more vocal people in my tale (I don't know them - I just met these two chaps on a train and got talking to them) were actually councillors. Or regional elected members of come description I'm not sure. They f'ing hated League and made it very clear to me that they did.

2 hours ago, RP London said:

how was the demographic of the supporters spread does anyone know?

was it mostly Wrexham centric or is this perhaps moving closed to where the support was?

have no idea, just asking.

From my personal experience, which is only a handful of games over the years, it's a pretty poor showing from actual wrexhamers. I'd say a good proportion of fans were English, maybe the majority, whilst I know a few fans who travelled from wider regions of North Wales 

9 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Seeing that half the population of Warrington hang out on the North Wales Coast every weekend this could be a rather smart move.

Instead of crashing out in the caravan after the lunchtime ale they could go along to a match 😄🍺

Just hope the remarks about a running track prove unfounded 🤪

Should have moved to Towyn.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

I've followed the Cru since Super League, the Queensway is a 15 minute walk for me. It's awful and has put supporters off since moving from the Racecourse. That said, it is convenient for me and will I make an eighty mile round trip to continue my support? Probably not. 

5 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Some of the more vocal people in my tale (I don't know them - I just met these two chaps on a train and got talking to them) were actually councillors. Or regional elected members of come description I'm not sure. They f'ing hated League and made it very clear to me that they did.

They sound like n0bheads. 

On 28/04/2021 at 20:49, fearnowt said:

Just been announced that North Wales Crusaders are moving to the 6,000 capacity Zip World Stadium (Eirias Park) in Colwyn Bay.

The stadium is also home to RGC 1404 (the union equivalent of North Wales Crusaders) and also the home ground for the Wales A team for the rugby union six nations. So we are moving to North Wales premier rugby venue.

I was disappointed to hear at a fans forum on Zoom earlier tonight that Wrexham Council have no interest in rugby league in the town whatsoever. On the other hand, Conwy Council are very keen to have us in Colwyn Bay.

The news was positively received by fans on the forum and the players are by all accounts very excited about the move.

http://northwalescrusaders.com/news/new-home-for-crusaders-in-2021/

Wrexham FC now owned by Two American Actors wonder if that has anything to do with it.

On another point Colwyn Bay football club a few seasons back optied to rejoin the Welsh Football set up and leave the English Non League which was surprisingly and annoyed alot of there fans.

8 hours ago, Rugby&soccerfan said:

Wrexham FC now owned by Two American Actors wonder if that has anything to do with it.

To be fair, our chairman contacted the football club after the takeover was completed and the bloke the actors have put in charge there responded within 24 hours. This was in complete contrast to the previous owners, Wrexham Supporters Trust, who treated us with utter contempt. One of our directors described them as being ignorant and quire rude.

Anyway, there is a lot of work going on at the Racecourse at the moment, refurbishing concourses, etc, so the earliest we can go back there is next year. The problem is reaching an agreement on the price, it will probably still be out of our reach even if they are now willing to have us. The football club has been mismanaged for about 20 years and the new lot quite rightly, are concentrating on getting their own house in order first.

The downside for us is that we could quite easily suffocate under all the hype surrounding the football club, and it will be good for us to get out of Wrexham for a while.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

10 hours ago, Rugby&soccerfan said:

On another point Colwyn Bay football club a few seasons back optied to rejoin the Welsh Football set up and leave the English Non League which was surprisingly and annoyed alot of there fans.

I think they got as far up as the conference north. They must have fallen on hard times because I just looked and they’re now in the Welsh second division. 

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

To be fair, our chairman contacted the football club after the takeover was completed and the bloke the actors have put in charge there responded within 24 hours. This was in complete contrast to the previous owners, Wrexham Supporters Trust, who treated us with utter contempt. One of our directors described them as being ignorant and quire rude.

Anyway, there is a lot of work going on at the Racecourse at the moment, refurbishing concourses, etc, so the earliest we can go back there is next year. The problem is reaching an agreement on the price, it will probably still be out of our reach even if they are now willing to have us. The football club has been mismanaged for about 20 years and the new lot quite rightly, are concentrating on getting their own house in order first.

The downside for us is that we could quite easily suffocate under all the hype surrounding the football club, and it will be good for us to get out of Wrexham for a while.

When you say for a while, is this move not permanent then - ie are the club hoping to move back to Wrexham at some point?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I think they got as far up as the conference north. They must have fallen on hard times because I just looked and they’re now in the Welsh second division. 

That was the highest level of the Welsh pyramid that they were allowed to enter as a 'new' club

57 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That was the highest level of the Welsh pyramid that they were allowed to enter as a 'new' club

Also worth pointing out that the top tier in Wales requires an annual licence application.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

When you say for a while, is this move not permanent then - ie are the club hoping to move back to Wrexham at some point?

Initially it is for this year. If we are to move back to Wrexham it would have to be at the Racecourse, I really don't see us going back to Queensway. However I do get a sense of frustration from the club with the constant obstacles which seem to keep popping up in Wrexham every time they want to take the club forward. I get the feeling that the local council's attitude over the last few weeks has been the final straw.

On the fans forum on zoom on Wednesday night, our CEO and Chairman both said how they had been bowled over by the facilities and the welcome in Colwyn Bay, and it is apparently only slightly more expensive than Queensway. They spoke about the hospitality for sponsors, the chance to play double headers featuring the new amateur clubs and junior sides, and maybe even the wheelchair team, the players love the new facilities and can't wait to play there.

It is a case of wait and see, but if it all goes well and we enjoy being there, the club grows hassle free and we end up doing a "Newcastle", then I'm sure it will become permanent.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

18 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

They're probably on the take, from the Dark Side. 

34 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Not sure why Colwyn Bay FC have been mentioned on here, but just to avoid any confusion they don't play at Eirias Park. They have their own ground about a mile away on Llanelian Road.

I think Llanelian Road was mentioned in the context of being a tidy, compact little stadium in Colwyn Bay. Which it is, undoubtedly.

What are the implications for the community side Crusaders set up recently in Wrexham?

On 28/04/2021 at 20:49, fearnowt said:

Just been announced that North Wales Crusaders are moving to the 6,000 capacity Zip World Stadium (Eirias Park) in Colwyn Bay.

The stadium is also home to RGC 1404 (the union equivalent of North Wales Crusaders) and also the home ground for the Wales A team for the rugby union six nations. So we are moving to North Wales premier rugby venue.

I was disappointed to hear at a fans forum on Zoom earlier tonight that Wrexham Council have no interest in rugby league in the town whatsoever. On the other hand, Conwy Council are very keen to have us in Colwyn Bay.

The news was positively received by fans on the forum and the players are by all accounts very excited about the move.

http://northwalescrusaders.com/news/new-home-for-crusaders-in-2021/

Good luck to the Crusaders and their fans with this move. They have always brought a few good natured vociferous fans with them to Featherstone.

Archived