Regional Professional Sports?

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Fast forward a bit and I received my leavers school report. In it my " Achievements" were noted as member of various House and School teams but my crowning glory was that it seems I was  "Captain, School Softball".

I managed to bunk off PE for a whole half term. The sport I missed was basketball.

My end of term report gave me a B and said I'd learnt new skills.

Which was sort of true.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I managed to bunk off PE for a whole half term. The sport I missed was basketball.

Which was sort of true.

And people wonder why I'm not a big fan of teacher assessment 😂

Related to the original topic, I've just seen that the Welsh Baseball Union (I think that's what they're called, it's 'British/Welsh' baseball as opposed to the version everyone now knows) will be running a men's season this summer for the first time since 2016. Massively reduced and they don't yet know how many teams and all played out of one venue but does look like there are some steps forward for a game that was effectively dead.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Which was sort of true.

I got very good at getting out of PE, normally when we were playing football for a whole half term. 

I even bandaged up my hand one day before school and stuck a fake splint to one of my fingers to make it look like I'd broken it, unfortunately what I hadn't taken into account is I had to do that every day for two weeks to make the lie more believable. Luckily it was just after a school holiday so I could pretend I'd broken it right at the start of the holiday and it was already on its way to recovering otherwise I would have had to have kept it up for a lot longer of course!

On 29/04/2021 at 15:50, gingerjon said:

I think bandy could count as a localised professional sport. Essentially (parts of) Sweden and Russia and for everyone else you have to explain that no it's not ice hockey.

Are there (semi) professionals in shinty? That would come from a Gaelic rather than English speaking heritage.

EDIT

Just had to look up how to spell pelota and confirm that, yes, people make money out of that too. So pelota.

We played shinty at school (Thorne, Doncaster)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

We played shinty at school (Thorne, Doncaster)

I have come across other folk saying that they played shinty in English schools, Marauder.  However, one of them showed me the stick he had used (and kept after leaving school) and it really was nothing like a shinty stick (or 'caman' in Gaelic) as used in Scotland.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I have come across other folk saying that they played shinty in English schools, Marauder.  However, one of them showed me the stick he had used (and kept after leaving school) and it really was nothing like a shinty stick (or 'caman' in Gaelic) as used in Scotland.

We used the proper shiny stick, best hockey player I saw in the army was brought up on shiny and while I was working away in the highlands I'd go and watch the locals playing.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived