Alleged racism

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It’s precisely because it’s 2021 and the goalposts are constantly shifting as to what is racist that, yes, it does need explanation. I definitely don’t know what constitutes racism anymore. 

I would agree with that.

I would also ask that many of the posters on this thread go and look up the meaning of allegation before they preemptively put the boot into Tony Clubb.

There are two sides to this story, and despite the fact that we haven’t heard one side of it yet the usual suspects are already making the cross and ordering the nails.

3 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I can't say I'd like it, but the English have never been subjugated or victimised in the way others have (I appreciate the Daily Telegraph will currently tell you otherwise).

Therefore, the use of English as part of an insult doesn't have a negative historical context (perhaps it should, for a whole other reason, but that's another thing) and so is probably less offensive.

In our history lessons we were taught about being conquered by the Romans (and enslaved), pillaged by the Vikings and then conquered by the French, so if you go back far enough we have had plenty of subjugation. As an English Catholic, I can see the Pope’s effigy burned every year within half an hour’s drive of home, and if my daughter married George and they had a child they couldn’t bring them up as a Catholic... 

I thought it was about relative power, the intent and the recipient’s view, hence it would be absurd of me to moan if someone called me a useless Catholic ####. 

(Though, oddly enough, isn’t he even wrong about Savelio’s ethnicity (if I recall from the discussion earlier in the week), as he is an Anglo Kiwi? I am not suggesting that’s a mitigation of course, as saying something which is generally considered to be a racial slur (and which should be known as such by the person saying it) is of course sufficient to require disciplinary action.)

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Something is a racist or religious hate incident if the victim or anyone else thinks it was carried out because of hostility or prejudice based on race or religion.

Italics.

Oh, how I've missed you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

I've looked at the allegation 

I really liked Andre 

But this is not racism 

Not in any way 

It's a cheap comment made when the bloke is angry 

He could have made an angry comment with almost as much gusto without referring to Savelio's racial profile. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

He could have made an angry comment with almost as much gusto without referring to Savelio's racial profile. 

And once again. It hasn’t Yet been proven that he said anything of the sort, so get down from your high horse before you get dizzy.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Various posts either edited or removed.

Firstly, please do not copy and paste the actual Tweet from Andre Savelio containing the alleged slur - a link to the tweet will suffice, so anyone who wants to view it can do, but the content itself breaks the T&Cs of this forum and doesn't need to be republished on here over and over.

Secondly, do not use this as an opportunity to bypass our swear filter by replacing one letter of an offensive word with an asterisk. Just don't use the word at all on here.

Thirdly, don't start calling each other racist, or woke, or snowflake, or any of that kind of pathetic yah-boo. Make your point without adding insults of your own.

Thank you.

Reminder.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

And once again. It hasn’t Yet been proven that he said anything of the sort, so get down from your high horse before you get dizzy.

The fact that there has been absolutely zero public denial and the player has been internally suspended says all it needs to. 

I'd know too, my football team were in the same position as Wigan a year ago with regards to an accused player. 

No high horse here. Clubb could have called Savelio exactly what he called him without reference to his race, instead he included that as part of his insult.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

The fact that there has been absolutely zero public denial and the player has been internally suspended says all it needs to. 

It says nothing of the sort, and you look ignorant by claiming it does.

There are processes to follow and I am sure both clubs are following them. You making stuff up based on no evidence apart from silence is as dangerous as it is pathetic.

6 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Well, I can imagine it was probably an awkward conversation with his Papua new guinean coach whenever they spoke about it

If we are being technical, I think that PNG is Melanesian rather than Polynesian. But Lam is only one quarter Papuan. He is one quarter Chinese and half British and grew up in in Brisbane from the age of 7.

Not that that should make any difference to his reaction to Clubb if the allegation is well-founded.

31 minutes ago, The storm said:

I really liked Andre 

But this is not racism 

Not in any way 

Ah being angry excuses you of being a racist. Glad you’ve cleared that up

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Lets worry about actual racist allegations, not hypothetical situations

That's very clever, but it's ok for an Aussie cricketer to say Pommie so and so.... 

But people are happy use one word or type when it suits them but not when a similar one doesn't.

And the crazed howling banshees will happily leap on Case becaus it suits them, whilst others will sit on their hands.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

That's very clever, but it's ok for an Aussie cricketer to say Pommie so and so.... 

But people are happy use one word or type when it suits them but not when a similar one doesn't.

And the crazed howling banshees will happily leap on Case becaus it suits them, whilst others will sit on their hands.

I think it’s more important to worry about actual events than made up ones that’s all. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

It’s precisely because it’s 2021 and the goalposts are constantly shifting as to what is racist that, yes, it does need explanation. I definitely don’t know what constitutes racism anymore. 

I don’t think the goalposts are being moved on what is racist, society used to accept racists things being said, now it’s saying it not alright

47 minutes ago, The storm said:

I really liked Andre 

But this is not racism 

Not in any way 

I think this is a rational point.

I thought that joint Hull and Wigan statement was very good.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

27 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

It says nothing of the sort, and you look ignorant by claiming it does.

There are processes to follow and I am sure both clubs are following them. You making stuff up based on no evidence apart from silence is as dangerous as it is pathetic.

I work as a solicitor and 100% innocent people/parties don't "say nothing". Even if they say very little they at least will say in public they refute the allegations - if only to just have it "out there".

5 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I can't say I'd like it, but the English have never been subjugated or victimised in the way others have (I appreciate the Daily Telegraph will currently tell you otherwise).

Therefore, the use of English as part of an insult doesn't have a negative historical context (perhaps it should, for a whole other reason, but that's another thing) and so is probably less offensive.

Many groups have been , often by their own countrymen 

8 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Widely announced yesterday

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The RFL, Super League, World Cup and the clubs will be apparently.

fair enough I missed that. Heard a list early yesterday and we weren’t on it which I thought was poor but glad that’s not the case in the end. 

Archived