Alleged racism

My take on it is that the alleged comment in the accusation is racist so has no place in this game. Whether the alleged comment was racist or not should not really be debatable as it clearly is by all definitions of the term "racist" - it was a derogatory comment made that involved race.

I don't agree with the people that this we shouldn't discuss it. Why shouldn't we? As long as we acknowledge that it is alleged, I don't see the issue. Discussion about it gages feeling on the issue (both sides), which helps educate.

Same for those saying we shouldn't talk about hypotheticals. Why? If it helps people understand what is and what isn't racist, then what's the issue?

People like to think that racism is (for want of a better term) "black and white". Many times it is, but there are definitely many shades of grey as discussed in this thread to do with nationality that some consider "acceptable" but others don't that could do with clarifying and discussing.

It's an important topic. As long as we remember "if", then we'll understand better at any "when".

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Having been at a Russell group Uni with notoriously liberal policies between 2016 to late last year I will stand by my ascertation that this is massively overblown. Most students couldn't care less.

I know its a different issue but take the littering of parks in student areas whenever the sun is out. The narrative would have you believe that all students are vegan ecowarriors who love the planet more than themselves and want to join Extinction Rebellion - yet the reality is, and I really do dislike this term, the silent majority just don't care that much. Rather than active support for causes, I think there is far more student apathy towards most issues and therefore little in the way of opposition to the passionately loud, and disproportionately left wing, voices on campus. Gender Neutral toilets, couldn't care less.

I should qualify this by saying I was a member of the Uni Labour Society, helped with the launch parties of the feminist magazine a few of my mates were committee members on, studied History (a subject disproportionately left leaning in academia) and was friends with people who occasionally thought Nigel Farage was going a bit soft or stood for local council elections for the Tory party. I'm perfectly capable of being friends with most people, agreeing to disagree on certain issues. I'm of an age where plenty of girls put "no tories" in their tinder bios - yet I still think this is massively overblown.

I believe I agree with you 

37 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

It's quite common for Australians to refer to English as 'Pommie Bas**ds' some of them even wear tee shirts with it emblazoned on.

This seems to attract little criticism. It all seems to depend on whether offence is taken.

Swing and a miss. Polynesian is not a nationality but a racial identity. Better luck next time.

16 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Swing and a miss. Polynesian is not a nationality but a racial identity. Better luck next time.

I don't believe it's a competition.

There is certainly a grey area when it comes to nationality. I think it's a fair discussion. Why is it deemed unacceptable to discriminate based on race and not because of nationality? Some will answer "it's not", to which I'd ask why is one deemed so much worse than the other?

Asking these questions is not me in any way attempting to make the alleged comment seem less offensive or more acceptable. Quite the opposite. Moreso make the others less acceptable. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It's a fair point and xenophobia is definitely a problem but I don't think it carries anywhere near the same weight calling someone a British so and so versus a black so and so for example.

It's simply less of an identity than race. Many people of different races are British. Line me up with a black and an Asian person; were all British, so the person insulting me isn't using my appearance to discriminate.  Nationality itself is fluid - I can become a citizen of another country if I meet the criteria. 

That's kind of why I see discrimination based on race to be worse than nationality.

22 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Being pejorative is very common... but its not racist. Be can be pejorative and offensive against say the French.  If a Castleford fan shouted out a pejorative insult against a French player involving slimy  amphibians that jump ... would he be racist?

Yes.

I have heard plenty racist comments aimed at French fans from the support from 1 particular Yorkshire team. They obviously didn't realise that plenty Toulouse fans can also understand English.

All the more reason why our on field product has to be 'cleaner than clean' in terms of sportsmanship, integrity etc.

On 30/04/2021 at 08:02, barnyia said:

Ok thanks. Nationality is ok then? 

Polynesia is not a nationality or a country, but it i an ethnicity that has common strands of the culture in the  Hawaiian Islands, Masdsgascar, New Zealand and the rest of the geographical region known as Polynesia. It i also an identity that as received a lot of discrimination in sport until relatively recently.

Just woken up on my day off to a load of reported posts in here.

Thanks everyone, just how I wanted to spend my day moderating this thread. 

Locked, until I've had time to look through it.

Right, I've dealt with the reported stuff, but having read through this now, it's clear it has moved beyond the original incident into a discussion of wider issues that are more relevant to the political sub forum.

On that basis, I'm leaving it locked permanently in here.

This subject will no doubt resurface once the RFL reports on its investigation.

Until then, if you want to argue about the definition of racism. do it in the politics sub forum.

Archived