SG Ball Grand Final

I notice that the SG Ball Grand Final is this weekend.  I am trying to understand why this is so early in the Australian season, can somebody tell me what the players do after this comp because it surely isn't the end of their season on the 1st of May?

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I notice that the SG Ball Grand Final is this weekend.  I am trying to understand why this is so early in the Australian season, can somebody tell me what the players do after this comp because it surely isn't the end of their season on the 1st of May?

It`s also the Tarsha Gale and Harold Mathews GFs.

This has puzzled me a bit too. These competitions are labelled Junior reps. So, contingent on age and ability, I assume most of the players go into local open-age or feeder club systems, where game-time will depend on what`s judged best for their development.

This year there`s already been a number of players whose junior rep season is over move up from Tarsha Gale to NSW women`s premiership, and in QLD from their under-19s early-season competition to the BHP women`s premiership. And some players are still in college RL programmes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2021 at 23:29, Dunbar said:

It is designed to finish early in order for junior players, clubs and leagues continue to enjoy their participation in the sport.

Players either progress into further professional club programmes and/or return to their local clubs.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 01:29, Dunbar said:

Funny you bring this up Dunbar because just this week I was reading in the local rag about young Drey Mercy, who my young fella used to play against in juniors, and how after finishing his commitments for South Sydney S.G. Ball side,  will return to play in our local Group Three open Men`s comp playing for Old Bar in the centres. I imagine a lot of them will do the same, returning to their various regions.

P.S. Remember that name, he`s a tear-away, big strong Aboriginal kid.

• Like 1