NRLW to move to six teams, may lose Warriors

13 hours ago, Damien said:

It's great to hear about this expansion but it would be disappointing to lose the Warriors.

It would be a disaster for the NZ game, and therefore the international women's game.

Kiwi Ferns are the only consistent challenger to Australia at women's international level. 

I see that rugby union in New Zealand yesterday started the Super Rugby women's competition. I don't know how many teams, but I could assume 5, so that means that any top players in NZ will inevitably drift to that. (Stadium games, curtain raiser crowds, TV, money, performance environment). Players will leave Rugby League, as there simply won't be an NZ based performance pathway in the sport.

I know the Titans are especially keen for a womens team. Co-owner Rebecca Frizelle is a big advocate.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

15 hours ago, Damien said:

It's great to hear about this expansion but it would be disappointing to lose the Warriors.

It may be just logistics this year. These players are not well paid and cannot afford to go to Australia for 6-7 weeks without returning home. Hopefully it would just be for 2021.

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

It may be just logistics this year. These players are not well paid and cannot afford to go to Australia for 6-7 weeks without returning home. Hopefully it would just be for 2021.

That’s my understanding, but with trans-Tasman travel reopening I’m not sure what the issue is

10 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

It would be a disaster for the NZ game, and therefore the international women's game.

Kiwi Ferns are the only consistent challenger to Australia at women's international level. 

I see that rugby union in New Zealand yesterday started the Super Rugby women's competition. I don't know how many teams, but I could assume 5, so that means that any top players in NZ will inevitably drift to that. (Stadium games, curtain raiser crowds, TV, money, performance environment). Players will leave Rugby League, as there simply won't be an NZ based performance pathway in the sport.

It won`t help, but it also won`t be a disaster. Particularly if it`s only temporary. Whether or not they get to play 3 NRLW games a year will make little difference to the choices female players make regarding League or Union in NZ. Some go back and forth between codes anyway.

There have long been better domestic opportunities in NZ RU with the Farah Palmer Cup. Among those committed to League, more go to Australia than to Union, and at a noticeably younger age in recent times.

Since you mention the Kiwi Ferns as "the only consistent challenger to Australia", worth reminding everyone the Kiwi Ferns were completely dominant over the Aussies up until roughly the last decade. Most people wouldn`t know for instance that the result of the 2008 WC final was Australia 0 New Zealand 34.

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2021 at 14:09, Scubby said:

That’s how I read an update from them earlier this morning

On 01/05/2021 at 12:26, The Frying Scotsman said:

That post is a classic parody of this forum. 

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Who will be the 8th team in 2022?

My money is on Melbourne or Nth Queensland.

My thoughts exactly. The Melbourne centre of excellence is the proposed base for a possible Storm NRLW team. I don`t know if it will be built and ready for 2022. Plus, few if any of the local Victorian players would currently be good enough. All or virtually all the players would be imported.

I know that`s no different from the Storm men`s squad, but it contrasts with NQ Gold Stars who went very well in the BHP premiership this year, who would provide a core of NRLW-standard local players. My money is on them.

I suspect the NRLW will only go to 8 teams when they`re certain the Warriors can return.

And I don`t think there`s any rush. This year is a major expansion. There might only be an increase of 2 clubs, but it represents an increase in number of games from 7 to 18.

Expansion of this competition is way overdue and its great to see it going to 6 then 8. Its disappointing to have no NZ team for 2021 but it is very understandable in the circumstances and it seems pretty certain that they will be back in 2022.

I haven't been able to watch any womens Super League, how is the standard?

The NRLW is a great product and an enjoyable watch. Hopefully the standard can stay up with the expansion. I'm interested in what this will do to women's RU in Australia. It could be devastating.

new rise.jpg

22 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I haven't been able to watch any womens Super League, how is the standard?

The NRLW is a great product and an enjoyable watch. Hopefully the standard can stay up with the expansion. I'm interested in what this will do to women's RU in Australia. It could be devastating.

Honestly its still way behind, the difference in speed and athleticism is night and day. The Aussies took the women's game up to a whole new level over the last decade and the game in the UK is still playing catch up. Its only with the women's Super League that things have now been taken more seriously with a higher profile.

The difference in approach is that in Australia the current competitions continue, with the NRLW being played in a short sharp season leading to the Grand Final on the same day as the Men's GF. Likewise the AFLW has a concentrated season at the beginning of their season. This allows them to attract the cream of the women's game, plus athletes from other disciplines over this concentrated period.

Here we've almost just given previous teams based in amateur clubs a new strip and name; 1 or 2 games at the men's venue; then grind through a low profile long season. Done right, the women's game is our best opportunity for FTA TV coverage AND a real vehicle for genuine expansion of our player base beyond the M25.

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

The NRLW is a great product and an enjoyable watch. 

The ball skills of women players are not the same standard as the men. When I first noticed Aussie Women`s RL about 4 years ago, this didn`t detract from the entertainment value. The play was looser, they didn`t let the obsessive, compulsive knock-on calling of officials stop them trying to be creative.

That`s changed. The tighter patterns in the top competitions increasingly imitate the men, but without the skill level to keep the officials out of the game.

In Monday`s NSW premiership game between Cronulla and Wentworthville at least 90% of the game consisted of dummy-half runs and one-out hit-ups. Because anything innovative risks a call for knock-on, obstruction, forward pass.

There is no shortage of men`s RL on Australian TV. The women need to be offering a different style to rate well and prosper.

I wish all the coaches would get together with the referees and media before the competition and remind them that a knock-on is to propel the ball in a forward direction. It isn`t to simply mishandle the ball or for the ball to bobble when players claim it on the ground. Send a message to officials to stop punishing players for trying things and taking risks.

If the consequence of knock-on derangement syndrome and restrictive, prescriptive applications of obstruction rules is to reduce the games to players mostly smashing into each other in the middle, this will also mean more injuries. Last year the Dragons barely had enough fit players for their third and final game. With 5 and possibly 7 games this year for each team, injuries could be even more of a problem if the mode of play remains the same.

On 01/05/2021 at 12:26, The Frying Scotsman said:

Couldn’t New Zealand create their own Women’s League? 

Great news, really enjoy the NRLW and the season has been far too short.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The NRLW games I have watched were very good entertainment. Glad to see growth, and let's cross our fingers that the Warriors will be back as soon as it is practical for them to be part of the competition again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Women's NRL is overdue for an expansion because they have been stuck with only 4 teams since its debut season whilst Women's Super League has expanded pretty quickly from 4 in to 2017 to 10 in 2020 and now 16 in 2021 with the debut of Super League South. Loosing the warriors could be a big blow to their competition. If the men's competition works with the Worriers so should the women's. 

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sharks disappointingly overlooked again. They have been one of the true ambassadors and trailblazers for Women’s RL in NSW.

This is very true.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

11 hours ago, George1992 said:

The Women's NRL is overdue for an expansion because they have been stuck with only 4 teams since its debut season whilst Women's Super League has expanded pretty quickly from 4 in to 2017 to 10 in 2020 and now 16 in 2021 with the debut of Super League South. Loosing the warriors could be a big blow to their competition. If the men's competition works with the Worriers so should the women's. 

NRLW is a short end of season elite competition. What do you think its players are doing during the rest of the year?

All the Australian women RL players who don`t make the NRLW - Any ideas what they get up to?

Archived