NRLW to move to six teams, may lose Warriors

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sharks disappointingly overlooked again. They have been one of the true ambassadors and trailblazers for Women’s RL in NSW.

When the Dragons were awarded an original NRLW licence (mainly because of the Illawarra contribution), that inevitably pushed the Sharks towards the back of the queue.

Their team in the NSW premiership are going well, only lost one game so far this year. However, I`m predicting a Mounties/CC Roosters GF.

16 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

NRLW is a short end of season elite competition. What do you think its players are doing during the rest of the year?

All the Australian women RL players who don`t make the NRLW - Any ideas what they get up to?

Surely there are other women's competitions in Australia that they could play in if they don't get the chance to participate in the NRLW.    

NRLW is a short end of season elite competition. What do you think its players are doing during the rest of the year?

All the Australian women RL players who don`t make the NRLW - Any ideas what they get up to?

Surely there are other women's competitions in Australia that they could play in if they don't get the chance to participate in the NRLW.    

15 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I guess we'll see where the players end up. 

Talented athletes... Will they be playing curtain raisers in stadiums prior to Super Rugby games, or will they be playing park footy women's RL? 

Time will tell.

They'll be picked up by the rest of the NRLW teams.

new rise.jpg

On 11/06/2021 at 19:17, George1992 said:

The Women's NRL is overdue for an expansion because they have been stuck with only 4 teams since its debut season whilst Women's Super League has expanded pretty quickly from 4 in to 2017 to 10 in 2020 and now 16 in 2021 with the debut of Super League South. 

8 hours ago, George1992 said:

I`ll assume you`re not being ironic and reply straightforwardly.

My point was that your comparison above of the expansion of UK Women`s competitions whilst the NRLW "have been stuck with only 4 teams" is a million miles from like for like.

Most NRLW players play the bulk of their football in the Harvey Norman NSW premiership (11 teams) or BHP Queensland premiership (8 teams). Both of these competitions are a higher standard than WSL.

Some of the more talented younger ones play in the early season State under 19s competitions in NSW and QLD (9 teams and 12 teams respectively). Plus there are multiple regional competitions across NSW and QLD, and others in the affiliated States. These competitions I would judge to be roughly the standard of all but the top 4 or 5 WSL teams.

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Brooke Walker immediately stood out in the games I saw on livestream. However, it has to be borne in mind that there were no NSW or QLD open-age teams at the National Championships this year.

One of the clubs might take a chance on her, but It will be tough to go from the VIC comp straight into NRLW. 

Archived