2 sets of rules but 1 sport?

I could potentially live with the two (or three) sets of laws.

But the NRL and Super League are now competitions where there are different scoring systems (2 point drop goal in NRL) played by a different number of players (18th man for HIA replacements in NRL)... surely that is a step too far?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Ridiculous.

The only thing that stops the sport being a laughing stock, is the lack of coverage it gets.

There's another reason that stops the sport being a laughing stock: not that many people post on this forum.

In any case, we do have just one set of rules, but with minor variations in different competitions. 

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Ridiculous.

The only thing that stops the sport being a laughing stock, is the lack of coverage it gets.

You must laugh like a drain at basketball.

And netball.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

Why?

I CGAF about either sport. 

Comparing us to "netball" FFS.... surely a new low. 😔

Nope. Just there’s an inaccurate belief that rugby league is the only sport with rule/interpretation variations.

And that is actually wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I could potentially live with the two (or three) sets of laws.

But the NRL and Super League are now competitions where there are different scoring systems (2 point drop goal in NRL) played by a different number of players (18th man for HIA replacements in NRL)... surely that is a step too far?

Does football have the same rules for number of substitutes on the bench across all leagues?

Honestly, there are probably tonnes of for variations in football.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Self haters in Rugby League think all sorts of trivial things make us a "laughing stock".

People outside the sport, if they know these things, go "oh that's interesting" and give it no further thought. 

In short it's just another lazy thing for the usual suspects to mindlessly beat up on Rugby League for.

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Does football have the same rules for number of substitutes on the bench across all leagues?

The senior league local to here has sin bins

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yes, that's fair.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nope. Just there’s an inaccurate belief that rugby league is the only sport with rule/interpretation variations.

And that is actually wrong.

I am well aware of that. In Scotland, our football doesn't have a video ref (for example) and in england it does. 

But Rugby League is only played extensively at professional level in 2 countries.

And these 2 countries have increasingly different sets of rules. That is just another example of poor global governance.  

7 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I am well aware of that. In Scotland, our football doesn't have a video ref (for example) and in england it does. 

But Rugby League is only played extensively at professional level in 2 countries.

And these 2 countries have increasingly different sets of rules. That is just another example of poor global governance.  

Or that any rule differences seem to be proportionally larger because of there being no other major leagues to compare to?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, GUBRATS said:

It's because the Aussies are assholes 

Agreed, now there's a novelty,

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

Self haters in Rugby League think all sorts of trivial things make us a "laughing stock".

People outside the sport, if they know these things, go "oh that's interesting" and give it no further thought. 

In short it's just another lazy thing for the usual suspects to mindlessly beat up on Rugby League for.

Not sure if this one was aimed at me or not but I am not calling RL a laughing stock for the differences, I would just prefer they didn't exist.

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or that any rule differences seem to be proportionally larger because of there being no other major leagues to compare to?

It’s this.

I do agree with the earlier comment about scoring systems. If 2 point drop goals became easier or more common in the NRL (or some other significant scoring difference started to come regularly into play) then I think we would have problems.

I don’t like the constant fiddling with rules but I also think its impact on the casual viewer is massively overstated.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure if this one was aimed at me or not but I am not calling RL a laughing stock for the differences, I would just prefer they didn't exist.

Ring that VLandys bloke and tell him , he's running world RL apparently 

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think we'd all prefer they didn't exist but I think they are of little overall importance.

And since you didn't use the phrase laughing stock I confirm my post wasn't in response to you. Coincidentally that term would apply to the poster who did use it.

37 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's because the Aussies are assholes 

Yep, its basically the NRL changing rules as they wish.

If they respected International RL they would submit any plans for any changes first for discussion but they just change and expect everyone else to follow.

Think is a chip on their shoulder as they are basically (as a country) ignored on a world stage in everything so RL is probably the only thing they have some control over.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep, its basically the NRL changing rules as they wish.

If they respected International RL they would submit any plans for any changes first for discussion but they just change and expect everyone else to follow.

Think is a chip on their shoulder as they are basically (as a country) ignored on a world stage in everything so RL is probably the only thing they have some control over.

it doesn't help they have, quite rightly, an inferiority complex. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived