Whitehaven - Game 5

jroyales

Played well at London in defeat. Terrible at Batley. Great against Halifax. Terrible today. What are we going to get at Featherstone? If we play like we did today we will get well and truly hammered. Hope it's not a wet and windy night and we keep hold of the ball.

Awful performance and that second half is close to the worst i've ever seen us play. Gave up when we went 18-4 behind. I was worried about this game during the week that we wouldn't show Haven the respect they deserved and that second half showed it.

Green and Holcroft are talented lads but looked like boys today timid and scared.  Didn't think we would have a performance as bad as Batley away but this blows that away.

Seems like a mental attitude thing. When we’re up and firing we’re very strong. When we’re not on it, it falls apart, and there’s not a strong enough spine of characters or leaders just at the moment to change things on the pitch. I still think we’ll be ok-assuming we learn the correct lessons from days like today. 

We seem to be getting injuries early on in almost every game to disrupt any game plan - the same today. It looks like Croft is out for a while with Langtree a worry.

You have to give credit to Whitehaven they forced the very basic errors we made. I feel with Hewitt off the field the team loses any direction and like what was said earlier, the team doesn't have any leaders. A win today would have given us a bit of daylight from the bottom two places not now we are right in the mix.

Three very worrying games coming up Featherstone and York away with an easy home game against Widnes at home.

With a fully fit squad I think we are OK but that doesn't look like for a few games yet.

Embarrassed and shocked by that performance the tries we let in was our own mistakes the try before half time was a killer Whitehaven looked down when we was ahead. Never thought I would say this but missed Hewitt today no creativity or structure to our play, I don’t think we tested the haven wingers or full back with any high bombs which doesn’t make sense in the weather condition. Charnock and Abram not good enough for this level unfortunately 

1 hour ago, YoungYed said:

Embarrassed and shocked by that performance the tries we let in was our own mistakes the try before half time was a killer Whitehaven looked down when we was ahead. Never thought I would say this but missed Hewitt today no creativity or structure to our play, I don’t think we tested the haven wingers or full back with any high bombs which doesn’t make sense in the weather condition. Charnock and Abram not good enough for this level unfortunately 

Wow well that's a positive 😂. See how much we miss Chewy when he doesn't play now? 

Why did Diskin put Abram in at scrum half, sadly nice enough player but never a scrum half at this level.?

I thought we had a ready made lad who should have been given his chance. I can't think of his name - I suppose can't think of his name either!

40 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Why did Diskin put Abram in at scrum half, sadly nice enough player but never a scrum half at this level.?

I thought we had a ready made lad who should have been given his chance. I can't think of his name - I suppose can't think of his name either!

Do you mean whatshisface?

Whitehaven looked after the ball better and we coughed the ball up at the worst possible moments.

The attack also looked flat as a fart when we tried to get back into the game.

A nightmare performance with some tough games coming up.

Think Jim is thinking of Barran but i'm pretty sure he was injured. I didn't think we missed Hewitt that much. The major difference I thought was when Owen came off. Gregory looks very promising and has had some great cameos but today wasn't the day for him. We needed Owen on to control the game but with Kirk going off so early we had to save that sub for the forwards and with Pick and Bridgey having played limited minutes we couldn't get Owen back on.

Well guys I nailed my colours to the Oldham mast last week and I'm not going to change now. I love watching this team play even in heavy defeat. Whitehaven were better than us today, just as we were better than Halifax last week. That's sport! I don't pretend to know what's going on all the time but it seemed to me losing Kirk early was a big blow. Then the unfortunate incidents where we gifted them tries, no legislating for things like that. 

Anyway it's a long season and I'm sure Oldham's day will come again. Chins up everyone. All the best!

2 hours ago, m brooksy said:

Think Jim is thinking of Barran but i'm pretty sure he was injured. I didn't think we missed Hewitt that much. The major difference I thought was when Owen came off. Gregory looks very promising and has had some great cameos but today wasn't the day for him. We needed Owen on to control the game but with Kirk going off so early we had to save that sub for the forwards and with Pick and Bridgey having played limited minutes we couldn't get Owen back on.

I agree with the Owen part but I think we missed Hewitt for the last tackle option. Every time on the last we didn’t have a clue look at the tries what haven scored, most from smart kicks in the wet conditions. charnock didn’t control the game for me today it was a chance for him to step up with barran and Hewitt out but I’m sure he will be getting dropped next week.

Who will get dropped and for whom?

Did we make ONE break  - i don't think so! That's EIGHT tries (London/Whitehaven) we have given the opposition - nobody, as fas I can remember, have given us anything.

I thought the referee was probably the best I have seen for a long time - so, sadly I can't even blame him. 

Stats-

Green-5 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. one clean break. 12 carries=59m

Brierley-3 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 7 carries=51m

Croft-17 tackles. one miss. 12 carries=90m

Roberts-14 tackles. one miss. 14 carries=70m

Holcroft-one miss. one tackle bust. 7 carries=60m

Charnock-29 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. one try assist. 6 carries=34m

Abram-22 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 7 carries=30m

Kirk-4 tackles. one carry=7m

Owen-15 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 1 carry=8m

Nelmes-25 tackles. 2 misses. 14 carries=89m

Langtree-31 tackles. 2 misses. 3 offloads. one tackle bust. 14 carries=83m

Bent-47 tackles. 9 carries=40m

Spencer-42 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 16 carries=106m

subs