George Williams - homesick?

every coach in the nrl has worked out his predictable style - he has been outplayed and outclassed easily by cleary moses etc - ricky has realised this and will cut his losses and change direction with the minimum fuss the usual excuse - homesickness

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I've spent the past 18 months 11,000 miles from home. I flew back into London in January just in time to be at my mother-in-law's deathbed and attend her funeral. While I was in London I didn't get to see my own parents, who were shielding, until the day I was leaving. My wife had a few days mourning with her sisters. And I know there are people who've had it much much worse. 

I really don't intend this to sound like a competition, I hope it doesn't come across that way, but I honestly don't have a great deal of time for sportsmen complaining at this point.

It sounds like you have done it tough, sorry to hear that. But we are on here speculating about George Williams circumstances based on a single tweet from a reporter. Maybe the guy is just low for various reasons and doing it tough. Everyone is here throwing around theories when the guy himself has said absolutely nothing. These are not normal times.

2 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

!

SL and the championship clubs are full of players London have produced. It's a very cosy relationship - the Broncos / David Hughes find the youngsters, introduce them to the sport, develop them into fully-fledged RL players (often representative players), and then watch on as they get signed by northern clubs.

Maybe that is because RL in the capital is as welcome as a fart in a lift to the populas, player's are like any other profession they are ambitious and want to earn as much as possible so they get on their bike.

Most Aussies and kiwis have no problems whatsoever in living in the UK and France playing rugby league.

Also most Londoners I know have never winged going up north ,however there has always been a problem the other way round it goes back years.

Some though do settle well and stay around for years Shaun Edwards being one he settled well into London life.

Paul

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Most Aussies and kiwis have no problems whatsoever in living in the UK and France playing rugby league.

Also most Londoners I know have never winged going up north ,however there has always been a problem the other way round it goes back years.

Some though do settle well and stay around for years Shaun Edwards being one he settled well into London life.

Paul

unfortunately most cities and towns in the uk have followed londons lead in becoming over populated - lawless- traffic choked dumps its not exclusive anymore

52 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Well stop signing them then, and bring through your own players !

If they are the rules there’d be a lot of northern clubs in more trouble than London. 

More information here:

Canberra will try to reunite George Williams with some of his family after the halfback told the club he was homesick and wanted to return to England.

Williams has another 18 months to run on his contract with the Raiders but, with his partner expecting their first child, and COVID ending any hopes of seeing family last Christmas, the halfback approached coach Ricky Stuart about an early exit a fortnight ago.

Stuart confirmed Williams would only be released from his deal if the club could find a suitable replacement.

But Stuart’s first priority was trying to help Williams and his partner feel comfortable by surrounding them with loved ones next year.

Williams stands to earn more than $600,000 with the Raiders next year, about double what he can make back home in the Super League.

Wigan and Warrington have both been linked to Williams. Wigan are about to lose Jackson Hastings to the Wests Tigers next year, while Warrington’s Gareth Widdop has made it known he is desperate to return to the NRL to be closer to his own family.

Canberra were seen as a premiership heavyweight but have chalked up just three wins through the opening two months of the competition.

“George came and saw me a fortnight ago and we’re now working through things,” Stuart said.

“We’re in constant communication with George and making sure he’s OK. His partner is pregnant and I get it has been a difficult situation for George with not being able to see his family and loved ones because of COVID.

“It could now be a case of George have family come out for the final year of his contract. We want him to be comfortable and explore anything we can do to make life easier for the final year of his deal.

“George is a big part of this club and we don’t want him going anywhere.”

‘We don’t want him going anywhere’: Raiders will go extra mile to help homesick Williams (smh.com.au)

59 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Well stop signing them then, and bring through your own players !

Nice bit of irony there. A supporter of a team that doesn't have an Academy bagging a team that has had one for years and produced numerous SL and Championship players

No one knows what’s going on someone’s mind or how it’s affecting them so I won’t weigh in on that . I’ll just say I hope they find a solution that enables George to stay at The Raiders . Those were good sentiments from Stuart , COVID has obviously turned everything upside down and Oz has been super strict , so hopefully everything can be done to keep George settled . His form has dipped and maybe this is a factor but overall he’s fitted in really well so hopefully they work it out and he stays in that system 

in reality raiders will not challenge for honours with far better  halves running round the nrl than williams- sure he is a very good player a very very good player but xfactor? afraid not - and to get your hands on the big prize in the nrl teams need that xfactor - cleary- moses- reynolds munster etc are far better halves

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

in reality raiders will not challenge for honours with far better  halves running round the nrl than williams- sure he is a very good player a very very good player but xfactor? afraid not - and to get your hands on the big prize in the nrl teams need that xfactor - cleary- moses- reynolds munster etc are far better halves

They couldn't get those players for Williams money however, that is the trade off.

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No one knows what’s going on someone’s mind or how it’s affecting them so I won’t weigh in on that . 

I really find it difficult to grasp the notion that just because one person can deal with it, there is an expectation that everyone must have the same coping skills or they are somehow weak if they don't. 

It's just a step away from telling someone to "man up" or "pull yourself together"!

Wrong.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the cesspit we know as our capital. 

London is not all bad. You see those 'world's best places to live' lists on Facebook all the time and it is always just above Singapore and New York and just below Leigh.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the cesspit we know as our capital. 

I could live in London as there are many, many nice areas and of course, there are some not so good.  

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

London is not all bad. You see those 'world's best places to live' lists on Facebook all the time and it is always just above Singapore and New York and just below Leigh.

Who is it who makes those lists, odds on it's Londoner's.

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

love to live in Mayfair, I'm sure I would find it great... but I guess most of us would be somewhere in the greater London area's... having to use that ruddy tube or train then tube to travel every day - not so great. Mind you good for the get together booze up after work, which ain't so good for the family.

21 minutes ago, redjonn said:

love to live in Mayfair, I'm sure I would find it great... but I guess most of us would be somewhere in the greater London area's... having to use that ruddy tube or train then tube to travel every day - not so great. Mind you good for the get together booze up after work, which ain't so good for the family.

I was there for 1 1/2 years in 2004/5 and it was exactly that, after work.  Soon dropped ghat habit!

40 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The UK and Aus might open up to travel between each other shortly.  Get his family over there and he will be happy.  That’s how simple this could be.

That’s exactly how simple it is - in the short term. Once the relatives leave for England again, it’s not simple and I suspect the same feelings will arise. 

Archived