George Williams - homesick?

14 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I lived in Sydney for 3 years (it was meant to be permanent) we Lived in a beautiful suburb close to Balmain, nice house, very good jobs etc, guess what I ended up pretty much depressed because I missed friends family and Yorkshire.

People seem to assume Australia is some sort of heaven on earth, but it really isn’t especially when you are isolated and not close to loved ones.

I spent a few months working and living in Petersham. That was enough to make me realise the difference between travelling and emigrating. 

When you're working a normal job and doing all the things a normal person does like setting an alarm, doing the weekly shop etc it soon becomes less glamorous especially when you've seen the main tourist bits.

Over here, we often like to think of Aus as Britain in the sun but there are cultural differences too. I didn't realise this until I was given free tickets to Robbie Williams and found his humour refreshing. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, nadera78 said:

!

SL and the championship clubs are full of players London have produced. It's a very cosy relationship - the Broncos / David Hughes find the youngsters, introduce them to the sport, develop them into fully-fledged RL players (often representative players), and then watch on as they get signed by northern clubs.

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky about the Bronco's development pathway (admirable, as you say) - but if you do bring players in from outside your area, then clubs are taking an additional risk of it not coming off (housing, family, even how the playing group reacts to them) - clubs need to carry out due diligence and offer a bit of pastoral care . Saying they're just wusses is not fair; RL full time contracts don't allow the sort of luxurious bubble that footballers, say, enjoy.

3 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky about the Bronco's development pathway (admirable, as you say) - but if you do bring players in from outside your area, then clubs are taking an additional risk of it not coming off (housing, family, even how the playing group reacts to them) - clubs need to carry out due diligence and offer a bit of pastoral care . Saying they're just wusses is not fair; RL full time contracts don't allow the sort of luxurious bubble that footballers, say, enjoy.

There was a time when the club just didn't have a local player pool to access, because schools and junior development was in its infancy. SL offered a dispensation re the overseas quota, but then we finished second in 1997 and everyone started complaining about the make up of our team and we were forced to reduce it pretty quickly. So we had no option but to sign northerners and, as I said before we had to pay over the odds to get some fairly mediocre players. Frankly, them turning tail and fleeing was far from a one off. It was a regular occurrence.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

It happens, trust me.

Half of these guys posting about being homesick have never lived  far away  from home . It does matter what places like Canberra have to  offer, it's missing family, friends and where you were brought up that counts. It affected me for years.

1 minute ago, frank said:

Half of these guys posting about being homesick have never lived  far away  from home . It does matter what places like Canberra have to  offer, it's missing family, friends and where you were brought up that counts. It affected me for years.

Correct mate. Are you based in Oz?

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I spent a few months working and living in Petersham. That was enough to make me realise the difference between travelling and emigrating. 

When you're working a normal job and doing all the things a normal person does like setting an alarm, doing the weekly shop etc it soon becomes less glamorous especially when you've seen the main tourist bits.

Over here, we often like to think of Aus as Britain in the sun but there are cultural differences too. I didn't realise this until I was given free tickets to Robbie Williams and found his humour refreshing. 

It's definitely not 'Britain in the sun' - as you have pointed out.

Edit: it does seem to be perceived that way (by many) though.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Wetherspoons all over London Harry.  

Ah, but they are not as Tim Martin first suggested LD in that wherever a pub is 'sighted' they would all be selling at the same price, if I went to a Wetherspoon's in Manchester it would be 25% more expensive, apparently there is a list - a friend told me - that lists in order of being cost effective all the Wetherspoon's establishment's, the one in Leigh is in the top 10 of the 600+ pubs.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ah, but they are not as Tim Martin first suggested LD in that wherever a pub is 'sighted' they would all be selling at the same price, if I went to a Wetherspoon's in Manchester it would be 25% more expensive, apparently there is a list - a friend told me - that lists in order of being cost effective all the Wetherspoon's establishment's, the one in Leigh is in the top 10 of the 600+ pubs.

My initial point regarding your comment about London being a cesspit just isn’t true though and comparing a pint in Leigh to prices in London isn’t really a sensible benchmark to prove the cesspit theory.  

On 03/05/2021 at 09:14, Chrispmartha said:

I lived in Sydney for 3 years (it was meant to be permanent) we Lived in a beautiful suburb close to Balmain, nice house, very good jobs etc, guess what I ended up pretty much depressed because I missed friends family and Yorkshire.

People seem to assume Australia is some sort of heaven on earth, but it really isn’t especially when you are isolated and not close to loved ones.

We were in a similar situation back in 2012. We moved to Sydney (massive salary, big house etc.) but in the end my missus just couldn't settle as she comes from a big family and missed them too much, particularly her sister who she's sees almost every week. Aside from better weather in the summer months (it still freezes in winter by the way and most houses have naff all insulation) its no different than most other cities around the world, Noisy, dirty, overcrowded, poor public transport, long commutes resulting in long working days etc. Don't think its all lounging around on the beach & surfing, it certainly isn't.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

We were in a similar situation back in 2012. We moved to Sydney (massive salary, big house etc.) but in the end my missus just couldn't settle as she comes from a big family and missed them too much, particularly her sister who she's sees almost every week. Aside from better weather in the summer months (it still freezes in winter by the way and most houses have naff all insulation) its no different than most other cities around the world, Noisy, dirty, overcrowded, poor public transport, long commutes resulting in long working days etc. Don't think its all lounging around on the beach & surfing, it certainly isn't.

Ive never been as cold in a house as i was in Sydney, no insulation, tin roof, no double glazing and no heating, and the heat was stifling in Sumner and this was a 2 bedroom house that is probably worth $1million plus at the moment!

Ive absolutely no regrets about moving there, it was a hell of a life experience but it does make me chuckle when people say we must be mad to move back, when most of them have never lived away from home :-)

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

My initial point regarding your comment about London being a cesspit just isn’t true though and comparing a pint in Leigh to prices in London isn’t really a sensible benchmark to prove the cesspit theory.  

Very true, but most big cities are these days (globally see the posts above from Saint Toppy), and it goes without question the biggest of them all will be the worst. My job took me to all manner of places and I am quite happy to reside in a small backwater place.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very true, but most big cities are these days, and it goes without question the biggest of them all will be the worst. My job took me to all manner of places and I am quite happy to reside in a small backwater place.

That goes for me too Harry! Now over here everyone flees the big cities and wants to go rural....I knew it would only be a matter of time until they saw the light.....patience...patience....

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very true, but most big cities are these days (globally see the posts above from Saint Toppy), and it goes without question the biggest of them all will be the worst. My job took me to all manner of places and I am quite happy to reside in a small backwater place.

Having also lived in London for 8 Yrs all I can say is never again would I ever live in a city !!

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Someone texted me recently to say that Leigh have the fastest house prices in the country.

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have to have a good job to finance going to the pub after work with those prices down there, I will stay were I am thank you at £2 a pint.

You wouldn’t want to live in Australia then - I’m in Brisbane and it’s pretty standard to pay $10-$12 for a schooner of beer (that’s between a half and a pint)!

Well, I am sat in my flat in Chiswick (West London) doing a bit of work and catching up with TotalRL of course.  From my window, I can see a very nice local pub (one of two pretty much on my doorstep), a very nice restaurant and a lovely park which we walk across to get to Chiswick High Road which has much more of the same.  It is quiet, friendly and safe.

I like it here but I also accept that some people prefer smaller/rural places.

But it isn't a cesspit. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

30 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

You wouldn’t want to live in Australia then - I’m in Brisbane and it’s pretty standard to pay $10-$12 for a schooner of beer (that’s between a half and a pint)!

Was paying that in Melbourne/Sydney 3 yrs ago but Brisbane was always cheaper,might have to up the spending money when we come out next year or hope the exchange rate improves.

24 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

I was in Cairns in Nov '19, seemed like the beer prices were dearer by ABV, quite shocked to find a 1.5% ABV was $6 for the schooner measure for what is nearly a glass of water.

However we were introduced to an Irish bar P.J. O'Brien's who had a BOGOF for an hour twice in the evening and they served pints.

Archived