George Williams - homesick?

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Was paying that in Melbourne/Sydney 3 yrs ago but Brisbane was always cheaper,might have to up the spending money when we come out next year or hope the exchange rate improves.

Have a barrel of Jennings shipped over Dav, it will probably work out better!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was in Cairns in Nov '19, seemed like the beer prices were dearer by ABV, quite shocked to find a 1.5% ABV was $6 for the schooner measure for what is nearly a glass of water.

However we were introduced to an Irish bar P.J. O'Brien's who had a BOGOF for an hour twice in the evening and they served pints.

Thankfully it’s all craft beers these days - there seems to be a new small brewery popping up on every corner! Fruit sour beers, alcoholic ginger beers, XPAs, IPAs, pale ales, loads of ciders... Think that’s why it’s so pricey!

17 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

More than a hint of racism in this post.

🙄

Poor accusation kid - from someone who hates the English....

Those areas are accepted as very rough areas in oz and the words used are used in the media.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I am sat in my flat in Chiswick (West London) doing a bit of work and catching up with TotalRL of course.  From my window, I can see a very nice local pub (one of two pretty much on my doorstep), a very nice restaurant and a lovely park which we walk across to get to Chiswick High Road which has much more of the same.  It is quiet, friendly and safe.

I like it here but I also accept that some people prefer smaller/rural places.

But it isn't a cesspit. 

no- birmingham is cesspit -london is just a fleapit 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

36 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

london is just a fleapit 

What an insult to feapits!

Seven pages on homesickness, good grief !  It'll be a book by Geoffrey Morehouse if gets back and finds all the chipshops are shut.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, DiH68 said:

Thankfully it’s all craft beers these days - there seems to be a new small brewery popping up on every corner! Fruit sour beers, alcoholic ginger beers, XPAs, IPAs, pale ales, loads of ciders... Think that’s why it’s so pricey!

do they have cheap offy and supermarket beer like us?

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ive never been as cold in a house as i was in Sydney, no insulation, tin roof, no double glazing and no heating, and the heat was stifling in Sumner and this was a 2 bedroom house that is probably worth $1million plus at the moment!

always amazes me that the populations of countries that are extremely hot - extremely windy or extremely wet have never heeded the story of the 3 little pigs!

5 hours ago, DiH68 said:

The Irish pub I mentioned had a good variation of beers on offer all on BOGOF, I just used the example of Guinness because that is one of the worlds great travellers and everyone knows it.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very true Princey, sky rocketing on a graph.

But from what base, all I know is people in Warrington who want to buy cheap houses to rent they head to leigh. 

The lack of sympathy for somebody feeling homesick is almost bizarre in the modern age with the focus on mental health. 

It's like the old adage money can't buy you happiness. We've all heard of plenty of examples of people who won a lot of money or became millionaires yet suffered from depression. The adage is clearly true. Yet we still insist that it wouldn't happen to us, we'd be rich and happy!

Somewhere like Australia is akin to dating a beautiful woman. From the outside it looks incredible, and you certainly have a few months of fun. There's only so long that this lasts though and you have to actually have more of a connection that good looks to keep it going. 

Don't get me wrong, there are many people who are able to make it work and love it. You have to be a certain type of person IMO. I learnt that I probably wouldn't be able to make it work and would end up isolated. No amount of nice beaches would make up for that. 

My sister emigrated and came back 2/3 years later, and I think she regrets it now. We're very different people though. Williams just needs some good advice and dare I say it a trip home. That'd give him a good indication of what he wants to do.

8 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

But from what base, all I know is people in Warrington who want to buy cheap houses to rent they head to leigh. 

It was but that has all but gone now unless you want the really cheap stuff, but isn't that the same in any town?

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was but that has all but gone now unless you want the really cheap stuff, but isn't that the same in any town?

Harry I live in Warrington but come from leigh and still have lots of family in leigh, it still regarded as good cheap houses (especially the older areas and terraced in the centre) that are perfect for buying to rent, good returns on smaller outlays. 

7 hours ago, DiH68 said:

You wouldn’t want to live in Australia then - I’m in Brisbane and it’s pretty standard to pay $10-$12 for a schooner of beer (that’s between a half and a pint)!

I pay $7 a schooner at my regular in Canberra.

46 minutes ago, Copa said:

I pay $7 a schooner at my regular in Canberra.

you could go for the cheaper option of a coffee but you prob prefer schooner rather than latte 

8 hours ago, DiH68 said:

You wouldn’t want to live in Australia then - I’m in Brisbane and it’s pretty standard to pay $10-$12 for a schooner of beer (that’s between a half and a pint)!

Make your own?

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Harry I live in Warrington but come from leigh and still have lots of family in leigh, it still regarded as good cheap houses (especially the older areas and terraced in the centre) that are perfect for buying to rent, good returns on smaller outlays. 

Cheapish terraced are all over the North andMidlands, the dirt cheap ones tend to give a poor return due to non payment and/or getting smashed up.

Pennington is now about the same price as Stockton Heath, Daresbury etc and your Latchfords similar to Higher Folds etc

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Cheapish terraced are all over the North andMidlands, the dirt cheap ones tend to give a poor return due to non payment and/or getting smashed up.

Pennington is now about the same price as Stockton Heath, Daresbury etc and your Latchfords similar to Higher Folds etc

You are way off comparing Pennington to Stockton Heath or Daresbury, if you average out prices there is a massive difference. 

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

1 minute ago, goldcoaster said:

The bigger issue here is the mental fortitude of English players not sticking it out and fulfilling their NRL contracts. In the last few years we’ve seen dozens of players come and go without making an impact, all seeking an early release to return to the comfort of the Super League and not fighting their way in the NRL. They know if the going gets tough in the NRL, they will always have a cushy gig in Super League. 

To me it is a mental weakness that you also see present in the England national team. Similarly, when the going gets tough at test level, the players give up, knowing they will still have a cushy gig in Super League. No wonder England/GB haven’t won a series v Australia in almost 50 years.

Its not confined to Brits in the NRL, there's been plenty of Aussies & Kiwi's who have come to SL, struggled and gone straight back to the NRL. There's plenty of antipodeans who have the same mental weakness as you put it.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived