George Williams - homesick?

21 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Culcheth definitely in Warrington.  When I was at school all my friends from Culcheth HS were Wire fans unlike the Penketh lot who were Chemics.  Is Penketh still little Widnes?

You must have wondered why LEIGH golf club has been in Culcheth for over a hundred years.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

You must have wondered why LEIGH golf club has been in Culcheth for over a hundred years.

Never 😉

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Over here on the dark side, Headingley golf club is in Adel, Moortown Golf Club is in Alwoodley and Moor Allerton Golf Club is in Scarcroft; therefore I don't think the location of golf clubs is necessarily a good indicator of local boundaries 🙂

Anyway... here:

warrington_ward_atlas_part_1_page_1_34_.pdf

I am pleased that if George Williams returns home he will have this thread as a comprehensive guide to the boundaries of Leigh and Warrington.  Invaluable.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I am pleased that if George Williams returns home he will have this thread as a comprehensive guide to the boundaries of Leigh and Warrington.  Invaluable.

He won't be going anywhere near Leigh, or Culcheth for that matter. He'll be living the dream south of the river when he signs for the Wire 😎

Were in leigh could you put a golf club, my youth saw slag heaps, burning rucks, methane gas from marsh playing fields, and thats not out of place then, and back to when the golf club opened leigh was a small town surrounded by lots of others, Atherton, Tyldesley, Hindley, Lowton, Golborne, Culcheth, Astley, all seperate towns. 

20 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Were in leigh could you put a golf club, my youth saw slag heaps, burning rucks, methane gas from marsh playing fields, and thats not out of place then, and back to when the golf club opened leigh was a small town surrounded by lots of others, Atherton, Tyldesley, Hindley, Lowton, Golborne, Culcheth, Astley, all seperate towns. 

Wait, what? So there was no grass in Leigh so they had to have their golf course in Warrington?

😄

2 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Wait, what? So there was no grass in Leigh so they had to have their golf course in Warrington?

😄

Only when they grassed over the slag heaps and former rail tracks. If you don't count school and sporting clubs most areas we reclaimed land, marsh playing fields on a former tip with methane coming through years later, in Westleigh slag heaps were eventually grassed over and football pitches put on them. Leigh was boxed in from all angles with smaller towns then wigan, warrington just on the other side of Hindley and Culcheth. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

He won't be going anywhere near Leigh, or Culcheth for that matter. He'll be living the dream south of the river when he signs for the Wire 😎

In Latchford?  That's south of the river😂

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Some of this is in jest, but could it potentially be a good move for Canberra to let Williams go home to the UK for the rest of this year if he agrees to sign a long term deal at the Raiders beyond 2021? His partner would be able to return and have the baby, George gets a break and some home comforts and returns when it is easier for players and families to move back and forth. The Raiders then might get George for a further 3-4 years.

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Some of this is in jest, but could it potentially be a good move for Canberra to let Williams go home to the UK for the rest of this year if he agrees to sign a long term deal at the Raiders beyond 2021? His partner would be able to return and have the baby, George gets a break and some home comforts and returns when it is easier for players and families to move back and forth. The Raiders then might get George for a further 3-4 years.

Could be on his way to Warrington?, they were after him a few years ago. 

On 04/05/2021 at 17:33, Mr Frisky said:

Poor accusation kid - from someone who hates the English....

Those areas are accepted as very rough areas in oz and the words used are used in the media.

That may be so. 

However your post contains overtones that were race-centric, and unnecessary IMO. Substitute 'pakistani' and 'bradford' for Chinese and Sydney and you will hopefully see how out of place you look.

Was I surprised? Not especially.

"Kid".

had a good first half against the knights but am afraid went missing in the second half where the raiders recorded a big fat zero on the scoreboard in their latest defeat, knights not really fielding a  world class 7 in crossland to oppose williams either

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 06/05/2021 at 19:02, ELBOWSEYE said:

Where u born before WW1

On 06/05/2021 at 20:17, Scubby said:

There will be a risk that his partner refuses to go back because she doesn’t want the baby growing up on the other side of the world from grandparents. 

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There will be a risk that his partner refuses to go back because she doesn’t want the baby growing up on the other side of the world from grandparents. 

I have no issues with anyone wanting anything in relation to family in the current climate. There will always be another player to fill George's shoes at Canberra. If he was to perform at the very top of the NRL for another 5-6 seasons, however, he could set his family up for life - but that is not a carrot for everyone. 

7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Where u born before WW1

No 1961 but I know what i grew up in, outside toilets, coal fires, b+w tv, plenty of quarries and land fill tips. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

No 1961 but I know what i grew up in, outside toilets, coal fires, b+w tv, plenty of quarries and land fill tips. 

luxury! 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived