George Williams - homesick?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I do feel alot of small town northerners seems to be homebirds.

They are much more happy scrapping at a local Castleford or Wigan nightclub.

I suppose there'd have been some kind of irony if a scrap had taken place at Walkabout on King Street. I've heard that it closed down now though...

On 06/05/2021 at 19:02, ELBOWSEYE said:

Were in leigh could you put a golf club, my youth saw slag heaps, burning rucks, methane gas from marsh playing fields, and thats not out of place then, and back to when the golf club opened leigh was a small town surrounded by lots of others, Atherton, Tyldesley, Hindley, Lowton, Golborne, Culcheth, Astley, all seperate towns. 

Have been told house prices in Leigh are booming. 16% a year, outstripping most other places and way above national average.  Average house prices are £314,000.  Not bad for northern England.  Average in Oxfordshire is £404,000, although some estate agents will try to talk it up further.

29 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Have been told house prices in Leigh are booming. 16% a year, outstripping most other places and way above national average.  Average house prices are £314,000.  Not bad for northern England.  Average in Oxfordshire is £404,000, although some estate agents will try to talk it up further.

Not sure where you're getting that figure? Zoopla and Rightmove have an average price for WN7 of £150k ish. I don't know anybody who has a house in leigh that was bought for more than £100k, although admittedly there are some nice houses in isolation that are worth a fortune.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Great must be the new estates, can't see the old estates increasing at that rate. 

On 10/05/2021 at 10:32, Liverpool Rover said:

There will be a risk that his partner refuses to go back because she doesn’t want the baby growing up on the other side of the world from grandparents. 

In that case, the grandparents, who presumably want the best for their daughter and grandchildren, might like to satisfy her that it's a sacrifice they will make for the greater good. 

• 2 weeks later...

George has certainly improved over in the NRL. He has surprised everybody over there because its normally English forwards that are outstanding in the NRL and not backs,  If we get him back now we could either send Jackson home early or even Jai

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leeds till the end of the year now they have lost Eastmond? Or Warrington, with them releasing Austin immediately? 

As they say," as one door shuts, another door opens closes."

I just hope,that in a few years time they do not regret his decision to quit. A lifetime of regret is a long long time and can turn to bitterness in later years.   When the going gets tough, the tough get going.....home? 

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leeds till the end of the year now they have lost Eastmond? Or Warrington, with them releasing Austin immediately? 

Leeds say they’re not looking for a short term replacement for Eastmond so if he did go there it’d be for more than a year. Leeds don’t have a marquee spot free do they?

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d imagine Eastmond would’ve cost next to nothing in relation to the cap with the dispensation. My guess is that Wigan will do a bit of juggling to fit him in rather than let him go somewhere else for half a season. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Pity. Not an outright failure but not really a success either.

Do Wigan need Williams right now? Isn’t Harry Smith the future?

In what way was he not a success?

I don't buy into the theory that Williams has significantly improved in the NRL... to my mind his best games were early in his stint and I cannot see any part of his game that have particularly improved but he has been one of the best half backs for the last couple of seasons. Surely that is success.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Leeds say they’re not looking for a short term replacement for Eastmond so if he did go there it’d be for more than a year. Leeds don’t have a marquee spot free do they?

Hetherington and Sinfield will be starting the feel the heat from the fans, especially after the cacophony of whining from the South Stand last Sunday.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

His departure and that of Bateman must surely have prejudiced the chances of other English players keen to make a mark in NRL. Is Gildart definitely  going?

I'm not sure that would be the case to be honest. Bateman and Williams are guys who have obviously both ended up homesick but for every Bateman and Williams there's going to be a Burgess (x4)/Graham/Widdop/Whitehead who stays for an extended period.

Both Bateman and Williams made positive contributions during their stints that made their signing worth the while of Canberra despite failing to commit long term. Overall the potential reward of a likely salary cap friendly signing from SL far outweighs the risk they don't stick around long-term.

56 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’d imagine Eastmond would’ve cost next to nothing in relation to the cap with the dispensation. My guess is that Wigan will do a bit of juggling to fit him in rather than let him go somewhere else for half a season. 

Wigan are good at that. 

I think that’s a shame . But you could tell his form wasn’t as strong or consistent lately . Maybe a factor is the Raiders position , if they were at the top end they may have fought harder but they’re looking adrift of being a factor and perhaps are looking to next year in good time 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

As they say," as one door shuts, another door opens closes."

I just hope,that in a few years time they do not regret his decision to quit. A lifetime of regret is a long long time and can turn to bitterness in later years.   When the going gets tough, the tough get going.....home? 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

His departure and that of Bateman must surely have prejudiced the chances of other English players keen to make a mark in NRL. Is Gildart definitely  going?

Seems a legitimate enough reason to me, to want to go home and be closer to family - not least of all because they've not been back to the UK at all in over 18 months and his partner now heavily pregnant. Also, it's worth noting, for every English player that's been labelled to be homesick I could name you 3 times as many Aus/Kiwis who've had the same issues. 

I'm disappointed he's leaving from a sporting point of view but as others have eluded to, what seemed last season like the beginning of a great foundation at the Raiders has completely gone off the boil. So if George has lost a bit of confidence in the 'project' at the Raiders, i'm sure that's made his decision a little easier. Not sure if Wigan ever put the same return condition in with him as they did Bateman but Wire could be a great fit for him. 

Archived